Mixing link – why line level

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Mixing link – why line level

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      tompetric

Hey eventide!

i’m a trumpet player and i’m working with guitar effects.

I recently stumbled upon your mixing link, which seems like a good match for my setup..

But, if i read correctly the ‘tofx’ – phonejack is using line level and most (if not all?) guitar pedals

are working with instrument level. so, i’m confused why the mixing link isnt using instrument level for this output..

could you shed some light on this?

thanks in advance,

tom

JWaltz
      Participant

Hi Tom,

MXLNK supports unbalanced pedal level and balance line level depending on the cable you use.

What is cool about MXLNK  is that the FX loop will work gtr pedals and balance line level input.

The User Guide list max level before clipping, but based on the gain knob setting and the interface cable you can have a good pedal level

with some headroom leftover. This level is indicated by the signal present/soft-clip LEDs which monitor the GAIN control.

thanks

joe waltz

eventide

javiceres
        Participant
        jwaltz wrote:

Hi Tom,

MXLNK supports unbalanced pedal level and balance line level depending on the cable you use.

What is cool about MXLNK  is that the FX loop will work gtr pedals and balance line level input.

The User Guide list max level before clipping, but based on the gain knob setting and the interface cable you can have a good pedal level

with some headroom leftover. This level is indicated by the signal present/soft-clip LEDs which monitor the GAIN control.

thanks

joe waltz

eventide

That’s a really clever aproach… and triggers my interest: if I plug a guitar to the MLink and use the line level send to a stereo fx, say a digital reverb/FX rack unit (set to kill dry), how should I patch the stereo return into the MLink? Perhaps using the Aux Input? Or will there a level and impedance mismatch issue? And then, is the Headphones Out the only way to output the original dry sound + the stereo fx in, well, stereo? Is the stereo Headphone out suitable for the input of two guitar amps? An stereo FX return (line or pedal level/impedance) and Stereo Amp Out, is out of the capabilities of this unit? Because if it can be done, this would be my ultimate Swiss Army knife of preamp/mixer… Best regards. Javier

Hi Javier

yes, the AUX IN allows stereo input to be passed to HeadPhone output for a stereo pass-thru that  is mixed in with the other mono inputs.

The main issue with this though is the headphone output does not have the headroom the other outputs have so the level will drop

below unity gain. The headphone out will work for guitar amp inputs, because you have plenty of make up gain on most amp inputs.

Yes, a full-blown high headroom stereo return and hi level stereo out are part of the features we would include on MXLNK MKII update!

thanks for you interest

joe waltz

eventide

ar2d2

Yes, a full-blown high headroom stereo return and hi level stereo out are part of the features we would include on MXLNK MKII update!

thanks for you interest

joe waltz

eventide

Hi Joe,

do you know a release date?

Best regards, Andreas

javiceres
      Participant

If anyone can help I’d be very thankful 🙂

Hi Javier, see reply above

joe waltz

eventide

javiceres
      Participant

Thanks !!

I somewhat missed it…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.