Modfactor Fault

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Modfactor Fault

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      colinjbyrne

Hi,

Got my new modfactor today. After plugging it in and playing for a few minutes it begins automaticaally scrolling through settings and parameters randomly at great speed constantly stopping and starting.

Ive tried powering it from the eeventide power supply and a Cioks DC-10 which has a dedicated outlet designed for the factor pedals. Ive been running it in front of my amp with the switches set correct way. This also happens when just the power supply is connected and nothing else.

Any suggestions? Would updating the software help? Any help would be much appreciated.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sounds like you have a problem – you should talk to your dealer, or contact support@eventide.com

golfnguitarz

Ok, that is three of us who have posted this issue. Either we have accidentally done something to the settings to cause this behavior we see (user error) or there is possibly a manufacturing problem?

In my case, I did try updating to the V3 software and then reverting back. I saw this same behavior in both versions.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

This problem can be caused by abusive behavior towards the power input
      socket, but apart from that or pouring beer into the input jacks it is probably not anything you are doing.

It is possible for a knob to be "right on the edge", and flash its value repeatedly, but this is somewhat unlikely to happen for multiple knobs, which seems to be what you are describing.

Best let support@eventide.com handle it.

golfnguitarz

Interesting, as I said in another thread, I had purchased mine used from GC and there is definitely a problem with the  power input socket. A slight touch causes the unit to seemingly reset. I just find it interesting that three people are reporting the same issue and would like to know what is common across all three instances.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The power input socket is prone to physical abuse and on a used unit may well have received more than its fair share. Further, a damaged connector may have prompted the sale.

If we were to do it all over again we'd probably use a more substantial and expensive metal connector, but this would then be non-standard and less useful. Kinda hard to win here.

golfnguitarz

So, I am literally about to go exchange the used unit and get a new one, is there anything I can do to stabilize that power jack?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Essentially you must be kind to it – the same issue will arise with any other externally powered pedal – it's not a unique feature of ours.

colinjbyrne

Well if its any help i really dont think its an issue with the power input on mine its right out of the box and its rock solid.

Support suggested i initialize the unit and so far it has been stable but i only had half an hour to test today. Ill continue testing for a few days and ill keep you guys posted on how its going either way.

colinjbyrne

Ok its been a few days now and there has been improvement. After the initialize the unit wasnt anything like as unstable as it had been. There were some rare instances of parameter fluctuation but nothing like as bad as it had been.

Today i updated to version 3 software and so far the unit has been functinoing perfectly. I hope my experience is of some help to somebody and if there is any change in the units performance ill be back on here and let you know.

golfnguitarz

I am still waiting on my exchange unit to arrive, but thanks for the update. It is reassuring to hear your issue has seemingly been resolved.

Burger666

Nick,

I have a ModFactor and a TimeFactor, both bought brand new and in the early days of their initial release. Neither has done more than a couple of gigs but I have made many YouTube demos with them (to your advantage I would hope) and both are now unreliable to the point where I wouldn't even consider taking them on stage – because of the dodgy DC input issue. The TimeFactor is the worse offended, continually powering off and resetting, but the ModFactor is fast approaching the same depth of unreliability. 

So my question to you is: Are you able to issue to your local and international service agents – in a hurry – some metal replacement DC input jacks that can be retrofitted without too much fuss to make my units (and many others, I'm sure) usable again? Or, could you post a mod and component advice for those with the ability (and willingness to take the risk) to do it themselves?

Thanks,

Brett Kingman

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Hi Brett

There is no currently available replacement for these connectors – everyone uses them and will have the same problem. Try switch cleaner in case it is an oxidation issue, but it is probably mechanical damage which would need the socket to be replaced..

Were it me, I would take the unit apart and solder the wires to the motherboard, but this would be unsupported, so we can't give you any instructions. It would also be a bad thing if someone tripped over the cable.

colinjbyrne

Ok after some time persevering with the better operation i was experiencing the unit again deteriorated into the same randomizing of parameters i was experiencing when i first turned it on and became completely unusable at a gig on new years eve. It is in the box to be returned tomorrow for a replacement from the dealer. I really dont think the issue was related to the power input in my case it never felt loose or unstable and i used a couple of different supplies with the same results.It was definitely internal and i hope my new unit will be ok when it arrives as when it was working i was really enjoying all the modfactor had to offer.

On an unrelated not to Brett who posted earlier, i am a huge fan of your videos. Keep up the good work man im always advising my friends here in Ireland to check out your vids! Nick you guys should definitely be sending this guy free gear his demos were absolutely one of the reasons i went on to buy my modfactor and will be buying a timefactor this week also and im sure im not the only one.

madmac
      Participant

Hey Brett

If you need these in a hurry I would just go to your local Jaycar and get these. Part No: PS0520

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResults.asp?keywords=PS0520&keyform=KEYWORD&SUBMIT.x=0&SUBMIT.y=0

They look like they could be the right ones for a direct swap.  Although I haven't pulled mine apart to confirm it.

Personally I would be very hesitant to use the metal jacks as they usually make contact with the enclosure of the effect which could cause problems with power supplies with other pedals that have a positive ground.

Are you still using the Trex Chameleon to power them?

Burger666

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your kind words, sir. I had no idea that my video influence stretched that far. I'm very flattered. 

I still haven't fixed the Time/ModFactor power issue. In fact, I shot a new vid today showing Fibonacci sequences on the TimeFactor (will be posted in the next 24 hours) and I had to start/stop the filming about 5 times because of this issue. Not very happy. 

BK

Burger666

Hey Mac,

No mate, I gave up on the Chameleon to power the Factors because I thought they were drawing to much current, even at 12V. So I switched to to a Yankee PS-M2; a rather rare power supply made in Poland. Does the trick. It turns out, though, that my worries about the Chameleon may have been unfounded after all because I think the issue that aroused my suspicions – units turning on/off at random – was probably caused by worn out DC inputs on the Factors themselves.

Thanks for the heads up on the replacement parts. If I had the skill I'd do that replacement myself, but alas..  So I'll let Eventide's service agent in Australia do it (when the finally get the parts..)

Cheers,

BK

Jeff Marsh

I saw these pedals at NAMM, and I want to buy all 4 of them.  But hearing that a devoted customer such as Brett, who makes his own video demos, claims he can't use them on stage… well, this is unsettling to say the least.

Has this issue been addressed besides the polite response on the forum?

Can someone please talk me back into buying these pedals?  They really do sound great.  It's just that I really want to be able to take them on stage.

Thanks,

Jeff

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

colinjbyrne:

Any suggestions? Would updating the software help? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Colin – if you have not already, you should contact support@eventide.com

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.