Modfactor + usb = noise?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Modfactor + usb = noise?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Trendin
      Participant

Hi,

I’m getting a high freq. noise and and every few seconds a  minor click when i connect the usb cable to my pc.

Is this normal? when i unplug the usb cable from the unit, the unit is dead silent again.

Is my unit faulty?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm afraid it means that you have a ground loop, which often occurs when connecting audio units to PCs. It will probably be helped if you plug your computer and your audio rig into the same power socket.

Other wise you could try a USB isolator. These are available from Amazon for about $40, but we have not yet tested them (we will shortly).

Trendin
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

I’m afraid it means that you have a ground loop, which often occurs when connecting audio units to PCs. It will probably be helped if you plug your computer and your audio rig into the same power socket.

Other wise you could try a USB isolator. These are available from Amazon for about $40, but we have not yet tested them (we will shortly).

Yeah i figured it out later that day. The problem is that most usb isolators give 200ma at best and the mod factor needs 500ma.

I can always upgrade and replace it with an H9 core 🙂 bluetooth isnt noisy

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        Trendin wrote:

nickrose wrote:

I'm afraid it means that you have a ground loop, which often occurs when connecting audio units to PCs. It will probably be helped if you plug your computer and your audio rig into the same power socket.

Yeah i figured it out later that day. The problem is that most usb isolators give 200ma at best and the mod factor needs 500ma.

I can always upgrade and replace it with an H9 core 🙂 bluetooth isnt noisy

The mf is not powered from the usb – it maybe needs a few mA. Anything that isolates the ground and provides a tiny bit of power should be OK.

Trendin
      Participant

Awesome. I’ll give it a try then.

Trendin
      Participant

Thought i’d let you know that I’ve solved the issue.

I got one of these:

Works like a charm!!! now my rig is quite and can be controlled from the pc!

gkellum
        Participant
        Trendin wrote:

Works like a charm!!! now my rig is quite and can be controlled from the pc!

Thanks for letting us know. We'll have to create an FAQ item recommending that device for this problem.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.