Mono vs. Stereo (ie. Pre/Post mode)

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Mono vs. Stereo (ie. Pre/Post mode)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      question

Hello,

I’d like to hear your experiences and opinions related to using a H9 in Stereo vs. Mono modes (specifically in a situation when you utilize H9’s pre/post feature and became limited to mono mode).

Is that a tolerable sacrifice for you? Would you say you’d never give up stereo for the sake of pre/post or you certainly would prefer using a stereo effect order switch despite the additional cost, weight etc.

Actually after seeing their prices I decided to make one for myself (please see the attached image) but I tend to go with a minimal as possible setup and still trying to decide between mono vs. an additional device in my case.

PS: I play trumpet and my setup will be limited to a H9 and another tiny multi Fx stompbox (plus or minus an effect order switcher)

Regards

Q

camn
      Participant

Most clubs I play in are not really stereo friendly… so I use pre/post and save the weight.

That box would be hot for the studio, though.

question

Care to share you experience with reverb algos if you use them… Blackhole maybe? There’s this upcoming gig in a local jazz fest. They certainly have a built-in stereo PA there but I can’t try beforehand. I wonder if using Blackhole in stereo vs mono would make a worthy difference in terms of audience experience during an atmospheric, modern Scandinavian like jazz performance : )

camn
      Participant

Are you bi-amping or running straight into the PA?

question

Late report…

Fist gig with H9…. Went there with assumptions of everything would be fine even if give up the stereo setup.. I even couldn’t compare them. Oh boy, a huge noise ruined everything…. Kinda odd, because spending some 10 years as a sound engineer you could diagnose a noise (most probable source etc.) but that was an odd one… similar to a ground loop but kinda different… Saw tooth buzz mixed with white noise : ) ….

It was even happening when I touch the ground of the line out cable’s shield while touching the H9 body.. Strange thing is… all the other instruments was fine… keyboards… guitars etc…

Maybe I should bring a DI box next time…

Cheers

Q

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.