MSB / LSB with midicout / cc range / sysex

Home Forums Products Vsig and Preset Development MSB / LSB with midicout / cc range / sysex

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      parkerfly81
      Participant

i picked up an orville about 6 months ago and i just recently got vsig going – i have a few questions with something i’m trying to build.. 

i’m trying to build a midi controller so that i can control some outboard analog delays with cc’s.. some of the parameters i’d like to control have MSB / LSB numbers.. using the ‘midicout’ i see where i can set it to single or double controller messages, but i’m not sure how to send two messages two the midicout module..

also.. if the cc range is 0-127, but what it’s actually being controlled is a delay that goes from 35ms (0) to 800ms (127) how do i make the interface show 35ms-800ms when the actual values that are being sent are 0-127..?

and one last thing.. i need to program a ‘midi solutions’ router (just once..) and it’s programmed with sysex – is that something that vsig / orville can do..?

ok – thank You..

r

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm not really sure that I understand you, but … I assume you are trying to use the Orville as a MIDI controller.

Using MIDICOUT, if mode is set to double, and number is less than 32, it will send both the LSB and the MSB as separate controller messages.

I assume that the delay you are controlling is on some other piece of equiment, it this case it will determine what the interface shows – Orville has no control over that.

Don't know what your 'midi solutions' router is. But, Orville does not send sysex messages for other units – these are normally proprietary and Orville does not know what they are.

parkerfly81
      Participant

hi, nickrose – thanks for your reply..! 

sorry to be unclear – yes, orville as a midicontroller.. (i included a picture of one of the controllers in visg – and in the previous post i included a picture of some of the parameters i’m trying to control..) in this case MSB CC 12 is controlling time and LSB 44 is controlling time..

so, in the picture i attached ‘mode’ is set to 0 (single controller message..) but if i set it to 1 (double controller message..) i’m not given a place to tell it what the ‘second’ controller value is – in this case LSB 44.. 

—-

the second question – having to do with parameter range on the user interface..

so, the outboard analog delay i’m trying to control is a MOOG 500 series – it has no digital interface, only knobs.. it has a range of 70ms-800ms.. and since i’m controlling that with a cc message from the orville – how would i have the interface on the ORVILLE show a range of 70ms-800ms, instead of 0-127..?

i’ve been playing music for a long time, but MIDI is really new to me – so, sorry if i’m asking anything really obvious..

ok – thanks..

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        parkerfly81 wrote:

sorry to be unclear – yes, orville as a midicontroller.. (i included a picture of one of the controllers in visg – and in the previous post i included a picture of some of the parameters i'm trying to control..) in this case MSB CC 12 is controlling time and LSB 44 is controlling time..

so, in the picture i attached 'mode' is set to 0 (single controller message..) but if i set it to 1 (double controller message..) i'm not given a place to tell it what the 'second' controller value is – in this case LSB 44.. 

The second controller is always 32 higher than the MSB controller. You don't have to think about this, as the MIDICOUT will handle it automatically if you set mode to 1..

parkerfly81 wrote:

the second question – having to do with parameter range on the user interface..

so, the outboard analog delay i'm trying to control is a MOOG 500 series – it has no digital interface, only knobs.. it has a range of 70ms-800ms.. and since i'm controlling that with a cc message from the orville – how would i have the interface on the ORVILLE show a range of 70ms-800ms, instead of 0-127..?

Don't think you can do this – the Orville has no way to know what is connected to the MIDI. For example, suppose there were two different things …

parkerfly81
      Participant

ahh, so it WAS something obvious – thank You for your patience with me, nickrose..

i’ll keep thinking on the outboard controller.. seems like there must be a way to control a range of 730ms with 0-127 – just thought it might be something simple that i wasn’t aware of, since i’m So new to vsig..

a question about the relay out.. i was able to load the c_relay into a patch and i could hear the relay ‘clicking’ on / off when it received 1 or 0.. but, i’m wondering if it’s possible to use the relay like an expression pedal – sending a range of 0-127, instead of just on/off..? (seems like it could be useful to connect the relay to a pedal and send it specific values..) 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – relays are on/off devices. It's the nature of the beast.

parkerfly81
      Participant

i thought that might be the case, but wanted to make sure – thank You..

also.. i figured out the answer to parameter question i asked at the top of this thread, i case You wanted to know – or if You have another / better way to do it..

connecting a knob (with the range of 35-400 milliseconds..) 

to c_master 

instart: 35 

instop: 400 

outstart: 0 

outstop:16383 (this CC is MSB/LSB..) 

c_master into 

c_divide (16383) into 

midicout..

now when i change the milliseconds (35-400..) on the orville, the moog delay runs from 0-16383 or 35-400 milliseconds in it’s short setting..

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.