Multi-Pedal Sync through Aux/Switch

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Multi-Pedal Sync through Aux/Switch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      sjoplin

Looking for some feedback on an approach to get multiple Factors to tempo sync together but through the Aux Switches and not through Midi Clock.

I have the ground control unit and along with a few others on this forum are struggling with getting midi clock to work in sync with program changes, etc, without having to throw in midi merge boxes, etc.

I did a quick test with 2 of my factors where i wired a cable from one of the loops on the ground control to the Tip connector on 2 Factor Pedals at the same time.  Set the Factors to have tap tempo at the tip point, tapped the pedal for my loop, and both pedals went to the same tempo immediately.

any risk or issues with having these points in parallel?  Can't imagine there is any/much voltage to cause operational problems,  any thoughts?

if this works it will save me a large headache both on wiring/devices and programming at the ground control level.

thanks,

sean

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sounds reasonable. You may need a little care to avoid ground loops, but this is not normally an issue if they are mounted on a pedalboard.

sjoplin

thanks for the quick response.  I was hoping that this would work, as it's separate from the audio and midi paths, and will provide exactly what I need in terms of keeping multiple pedals in tempo sync.

thanks,

sean

guitarlesson

Perhaps the use of a couple diodes to control flow might help, but Nick seems OK with what you're doing, so I'm probably over thinking it.

hughmcm
      Participant

I use a Timefactor with a Modfactor, plus stompboxes controlled by a Musicomlab EFX 3.

If you transmit time clock to coordinate the Eventides, they have to be set to OUTPUT > XMT which is
      pointless when you're using a Musicom, and means you have re-map all your midi maps and get into
      complications using cc's to bypass and so on….

To get round this, I've 'Y' split a stereo TRS cable from a Digitech FS3X 3 switch foot switch, which the Eventides pick up as default, the RH switch tapping tempo, the middle one repeating delay on the TF and slowing on the MF, and the LH switch shifting in and out of Bypass. The Y split cable coordinates all three, and you can still control each on on its own.  

The advantage of this over transmitting time clock is that you can use two different channels from the Musicom – one to each Eventide, with them set to  "OUTPUT > THRU".

My suggestion to Eventide would be to offer a midi setting menu designed for external midi controllers. Only a few people are likely to use the Eventides themselves as controllers as they're so limited. The idea is to get all your controls into the one foot press and make it easy….   

I'd urge them to do this, as the cost of four Eventides, OD's, expression pedals, power supplies and a serious midi controller exceeds the cost of the new Fractal EFX and its dedicated midi controller…  I'm sure Eventide'll end up putting the best patches from all four units into one box, which will makes things much easier and lighter.  I don't know if the Fractal's sound is as good as the Eventide (through traditional backline) – but it can't be far off….

sebastiank
      Participant

hughmcm:

To get round this, I've 'Y' split a stereo TRS cable from a Digitech FS3X 3 switch foot switch, which the Eventides pick up as default, the RH switch tapping tempo, the middle one repeating delay on the TF and slowing on the MF, and the LH switch shifting in and out of Bypass. The Y split cable coordinates all three, and you can still control each on on its own.  

I have been having the same problem in trying to tap sync multiple pedals while having MIDI pass through all of them. Can you explain exactly what you did to get a Y split stereo TRS cable don't think ive seen one for sale? any issue with creating a 3 way split cable?

hughmcm
      Participant

I made up a cable which split each wire from the Digitech FS3X switch into three, then attached three TRS jacks to the other end. I had to bind up all the wires.

This worked, so I got Custom-Lynx.co.uk to make me on up to length, and presto, tap tempo going to each from the switch! It's not a standard type of cable, and I found Cleartone unwilling to make it. But Custom-Lynx listened carefully to what I was trying to do, and the resulting very smart bright red multicable works perfectly.

Good luck.

mc_deli

Just to throw in here. I just rehoused a Digitech FS3X aux switch and "modded" it with two outputs. All I did was add an extra TRS out and connect it to the existing TRS out. All works great. Simultaneous control of two factor pedals.

I ended up buying a Mission 25k dual output exp pedal.

Now I have one aux switch and one exp pedal for two factors. Very happy.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.