Multiple Plug-in formats (VST, AU) and installation size

Home Forums Products Plug-Ins Multiple Plug-in formats (VST, AU) and installation size

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      cljfford
      Participant

Hi,

I just installed the Elevate bundle [excited!] and was offered a choice of formats to install, i.e. VST 2, VST 3, AU, AAX 32 and 64 bit etc.

I chose VST 2, since I am working in Reason, but I also sometimes work in Logic. I didn’t install AU, at this time, because I wanted to keep my install sizes down, but am curious about how various formats add to installation size. If I also installed AU, would it double the install size or are the formats modules attached to a base install?

What’s the best practice in this kind of situation? I see that the Newfangled Audio folder in the VST folder is just 34.1 MB, so maybe I’m overthinking it but… you know how it is on a laptop.

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Hi cljfford,

Unfortunately, Logic and Reason look for the plug-ins in two totally different places, so install both will double the amount of space the install takes.  However, as you notice, the plug-in is only about 30MB, so it's not a very big file.  Normally, if you want to use the plug-in in both DAWs you'll install both plug-in formats.  However, if you want to use it in Reason only, VST only is fine.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Dan

cljfford
      Participant

Thanks for the reply!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.