My Factor pedals are not liking each other!!!! HELP!!!!

Home Forums Products Stompboxes My Factor pedals are not liking each other!!!! HELP!!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      jb4674

I'm hoping someone can help me before I go out of my mind……

I'm having an issue where I can't send multiple PC messages to my 4 factor boxes. I have a Roland FC-300 set on PC mode and when I try to write a patch to control all 4 factors, the only box that changes patches is the space (since it's first in line).

Here's a breakdown of how things are connected midi wise

Roland FC-300 connected to:
      RJM rack gizmo (midi ch. 1)
      RJM effect gizmo (midi ch. 2)
      Boss GT-Pro (midi ch. 1)
      Eventide Space (midi ch. 4)
      Eventide TimeFactor (midi ch. 3)
      Eventide PitchFactor (midi ch. 5)
      Eventide ModFactor (midi ch. 6)

All factors are set to receive and transmit on their respective channels and the output of the space is set to transmit. I also set the output of all slave boxes to thru and it didn't make a difference.

No matter what I try, I can't get the rest of the pedals other than the space to change any banks when I create a patch sending multiple PC messages to affect the rest of the factors. I have changed the Sys ID to match the factor pedal, the previous in the chain and the foot controller and it did nothing.  I also changed the transmit channels on each pedal to go to the next one in the series (example, space was set to 3 since the TF was next in the series), and it did nothing.  Set the receive channel to Omni and it did nothing.  Is there some magical place within the unit where the midi channel is supposed to be set at that I haven't gotten to?

Would anyone be able to assist me in figuring out why only the space is able to change patches but, not the rest of the pedals?  I'm about to pull my hairs trying to figure this out!!!!

tstern
      Eventide Staff

Try setting your Space output to MIDI Thru. This will let it receive the messages, but it will also pass them through to the rest of the pedals in the chain.

jb4674

Update:

After much testing and changing settings, I was able to
      get all pedals to talk to each other.  In order for the factors to talk
      to each other, I had to ensure that they were all set to THRU on all
      four of them instead of setting the space for XMIT and the rest to THRU.

Now, another issue surfaced that I'm trying to figure out how to fix….

When I'm on PC mode on the foot controller, I can create patches based on what factors I want enabled but, some pedals will not be engaged when the patch is recalled while others might be.  in all instances, the space always remains engaged while the others sometimes engage and sometimes are bypassed.

There was a youtube video I was watching last night that exhibit this symptom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MONYwFEXB4c

Is there a way to fix this so that when I create a patch in the foot controller, all pedals that are supposed to be engaged are engaged and the ones that aren't on the patch are bypassed?

Thanks

jb4674

I was able to fix this problem last night but, now some patches do not enable the pedals as they should be and they remain bypassed like in the video below…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MONYwFEXB4c

aggiemike08

I'm experiencing the same issue when using PC commands;  sometimes the loaded preset is engaged and other times it is not. 

I was under the impression that whatever the By-Pass state is when you save the preset, that is the state it will be in when you recall the preset but I'm not having any luck.

I'll have to check out those videos later tonight, but for now I'm in the same boat.

gkellum
      Participant

aggiemike08:

I'm experiencing the same issue when using PC commands;  sometimes the loaded preset is engaged and other times it is not. 

I was under the impression that whatever the By-Pass state is when you save the preset, that is the state it will be in when you recall the preset but I'm not having any luck.

I'm having a little bit of trouble understanding what exactly the problem is that you all are describing. Are you saying that you are saving presets either bypassed or active and they aren't being loaded with the correct bypass or active state? If so, are you using the latest releases of the stompbox software, and how are you setting the bypass / active state? Are you doing it directly on the stompbox itself or are you doing this with H9 Control (b/c H9 Control only started supporting this feature in the last build or two)? We can and will try to reproduce the problem you're having, but it would be helpful if you answer these questions for us…

jb4674

Well, it's my understanding that if I program a patch (at least in my case) in PC mode with the FC-300, it should enable all the factors that are part of that patch by default.  If my assumption is incorrect, can you tell me what I could be doing wrong? 

I also have some questions about the midi map feature on the factors.  How does it work?  While reading the manual, it mentioned that it has a "learn" mode, where it can figure changes out (paraphrasing) for the user?

Even when I'm on standard mode and I set the factors to Omni, the same problem occurs but, this time the banks are loaded in sequential order based on the pedal number I hit on the foot controller.  For example, if I hit patch 1, all four factors are enabled.  If I hit patch two, only the master is enabled while the slaves are bypassed.  When I go to patch 3, all of them are enabled.  When I go to patch 4, well you get the idea…

I would also like to know how I could go about using the built-in expression pedals to control some parameters on the factors via midi.

gkellum
      Participant

jb4674:

Well, it's my understanding that if I program a patch (at least in my case) in PC mode with the FC-300, it should enable all the factors that are part of that patch by default.  

Well, the FC-300 will send out one or more program change messages, and your Factor pedals will respond to that program change message by loading the preset its assigned to (if any) and if that preset was saved in active state it will be loaded as active and if it's saved as bypassed it will be loaded as bypassed. If your presets are being loaded as bypassed and you don't want them to be, you should activate them and resave them and see if that makes a difference when they receive the same program change message. Another possibility is that they may be receiving a MIDI CC or program change message that is bypassing them as they can be configured to respond to MIDI CCs or program change messages in this manner. If you hook your Factor pedals up to H9 Control, it will make it quick and easy to check these assignments.

If I were having problems getting my rig set-up with MIDI I'd probably use Midi Monitor on a Mac or Midi OX on Windows to look at what's coming out of my FC-300 to check that it's what I expected and go on down the chain to make sure each stompbox is sending and receiving what I expected. It might not be possible to fix the problem if you're not sure what each stompbox is actually receiving.

jb4674:

I would also like to know how I could go about using the built-in expression pedals to control some parameters on the factors via midi.

The expression pedals will send out MIDI CC. You'll want to figure out what MIDI CC they are sending out and assign that MIDI CC to control either the expression pedal patch or individual parameters on the stompbox, or you can use the learn function you mentioned earlier to have the stompbox listen for the incoming CC messages and use their CC channel. You can do this in your stompbox's system setting's screen under the RCV CTL menu. You can also set this up in H9 Control under Pedal / Midi Settings / Assign MIDI CC Messages to pedal functions.

aggiemike08

gkellum:

Are you saying that you are saving presets either bypassed or active and they aren't being loaded with the correct bypass or active state?

In my case correct. 

gkellum:

Are you doing it directly on the stompbox itself or are you doing this with H9 Control?

I'm saving the presets on the stompbox themselves. 

I will try to make a video to demonstrate what is going on.  Basically, I'm using Fractal Audio's MFC-101 as the Midi controller.  Pulling up a preset is no problem at all.  The issue is whether the effect is by-passed or active when I pull it up.  In some cases, I want to only load the preset so that it is ready for another part of the song.  In other cases I want to load it AND have it active say for the intro of the song.

The problem I have is I will load a preset (that was saved as active) but it will come up by-passed.  I've tried to assign a CC # to the by-pass state to turn the effect on and off which works.  However, when I combine that CC# with the PC … it turns active, but then goes to by-pass… Almost as if the CC# goes first, but then is over-rided by the PC and goes to by-pass again.

I need to make a video that will demonstrate this as I'm sure it will be very clear…prob. more than I can explain here.  Also I'll check the firmware.  I know I'm not at the lastest (V5 I think) since I'm not using the H9 control app with the stompboxes.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.