My Timefactor is randomizing settings constantly…

Home Forums Products Stompboxes My Timefactor is randomizing settings constantly…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      sunsinger

My TimeFactor has started randomizing parameters at light speed.  The signal output is gibberish.

I've initialized the pedal, and uploaded the latest software to remedy the problem, but I think it is broken.  I could get it repaired by my dealer if only I knew what the Eventide warranty period for the product is, but it is not published anywhere that I can locate.  Does anyone have this info?

bhaberman
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Warranty is one year from date of purchase. Detailed terms and conditions can be found on the last page of your user manual.  I'd also recommend you email support@eventide.com with the serial # of your unit and we will do our best to troubleshoot the problems you describe.  Thank you! 

sunsinger

Thanks.  I've done that.

golfnguitarz

I recently experienced this with a  used ModFactor I bought from Guitar Center. It is driving me crazy, but at least GC has a 30 day return even on used equipment. One thing I did notice was that accidentally bumping the power cord seemed to move the unit's jack a bit. The MF would then go blank and then restart or just spit out those random parameters. It makes me think twice about getting another one.

timothyhill

Yeah, this could be caused by a faulty connection to the power supply.I'll bet this could have been solved by either a new supply or a simple resolder of the power jack. I'm sure Eventide would have helped guide you through it, too.

Since the pedal you purchased was used, I can only guess as to its history, but I've never had any problems with mine and there are many more that haven't had problems with theirs, either. If you want a plug'n'play/one-sound kind of pedal, maybe the MF isn't for you, but if you're looking for a versatile pedal that sounds killer, I'd recommend giving the MF another chance, but maybe a less abused example.

golfnguitarz

Fair enough, I took a chance on a used item. I shouldn't really make broad statements like that. I am contemplating getting a brand new one when I take this back to GC. The one nit I have about the MF is not being able to bank down without an external footswitch. Other than that, I do like what the MF can do.I should probably put that in another post and not hi-jack the thread. Surprise

sunsinger

Eventide told me to send it in.  Since it was out of warranty, it cost a $100 flat rate to fix it.  It sounded to me like something that they encounter a lot in the product, since my unit was turned around the same day.  

Something about a loose cable.  To me it seems like a factory defect that Eventide knows about, but won't offer recall status on the product.  Too many $100 dollar bills to be made on this.

I think that everyone should build such a defect into their products so that more hundreds of dollars can be made on this stuff, thereby creating more employment.

Do you have a expression pedal plugged in?  If yes try disconnecting and leave it unplugged, does the parameters still randomize?

timothyhill

I agree about not hijacking the thread, so I started a new one with some comments about how I use the MF. Maybe it'll give you some ideas to try if you decide to give the MF another shot, but in any case, welcome to the forum and I wish you luck with whatever pedal you decide upon!

AAgnello
      Eventide Staff

Sunsinger,

"You're giving us too much credit" department:

We're simply not clever enough to deliberately design in defects.

"You're not giving us enough credit" department:

Same day repair is our goal and our techs often go 'above and beyond' to achieve it.

golfnguitarz

No, I didn't. But that is an interesting idea. Could the unit have been accidentally put in a mode where it was expecting the expression pedal? I don't know enough about MF to know whether that is even possible. There were alot of different parameters randomly showing up on the screen.

The reason I mentioned the expression pedal is because my PF did the same thing but only when expression pedal was plugged in.  There have been several threads about parameters randomly jumping values.

I sent mine in (it was still under warranty) and was told no trouble found but when I got it back the problem was gone.  They suggested that maybe something got bumped around during shipping and fixed the problemHmm

timothyhill

That's freakin' weird… maybe a loose connection in the jack? Could try cleaning the EP jack or trying to tighten it up. Obviously, if it were under warranty, I'd let them do it.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.