Need help now!

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Need help now!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      ckalinec

I recently acquired a timefactor today. While playing with it I plugged in a cheap HOSA patch cable. When I took out the patch cable on of the tips came off and is stuck in the timefactor! How can I get this out? Any suggestions? thanks.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Wow. That's a new one !!

There's no obvious way to do it without voiding the warranty, so you have two options:

1) Send it in for servicing, which will probably be chargeable.

2) Find a mechanically capable friend and he will find a way …

goldglob

Check this link (line6 forums) and see the jpg attachment  2nd last post in this thread. He used a screw but I'd try a small diameter bolt. The straw and superglue method sounds risky to me. Have you tried just opening the box and seeing if you can remove it from the inside?

http://line6.com/community/message/106226#106226

goldglob
      timothyhill

I've actually seen this happen before, but it is pretty rare. Nick's right, there's no real obvious way to fix this without voiding the warranty and potentially causing more damage.

In my case (not involving an Eventide product), I was able to use a pair of very thin, very long needlenose pliars to go into the jack and get enough grip on the broken tip to pull it out (I obviously disconnected the unit from its power suppply). That can be a tricky procedure and you run the risk of damaging the jack and the pedal (possibly shorting the electronics, even with it unplugged).

The only other way is to open the pedal to get to the back of the jack, possibly needing to replace the jack, definitely voiding the warranty, and very likely damaging the pedal.

My best advice is to either send the pedal to Eventide (which will probably cost, since it's not a fault in the pedal) or take it to a qualified tech (which will likely void the warranty). Unless you get really lucky and the broken tip just falls out on its own. I can't recommend trying to fix this yourself, due to the risk of further damage and the loss of the warranty.

You might try contacting Hosa, since this is a problem with one of their products. I'm not a lawyer, but in my brief review of their policies from their website, it doesn't look like that'll do much good. Also, you might try contacting the store from which you purchased the TF, if you bought it from a store. They might be able to help.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck… it's just a rotten situation.

ckalinec

If I bought it used it voids the warranty anyways correct? Also, will opening void the warranty no matter what? thanks

-Clint

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Timothy is, as usual, correct. There are any number of mechanical approaches, but, for obvious reasons, I cannot recommend  any.

According to the warranty page at the back of the UM, the warranty only covers the original purchaser. So, if you bought it used, you have the consolation that you can do whatever you want. If you were the original purchaser, opening the unit would void the warranty.

ckalinec

Well, since I don't have a warranty I went ahead and opened it up. What I did was once I removed the 2 PCB's apart was take and loosen those 3 pins and it fell right out. I was so nervous taking it apart. But it works great now!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Good – I knew you could do it !!

timothyhill

Cool! I'm glad it worked out for you!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.