New Blackhole stompbox

Home Forums Products Stompboxes New Blackhole stompbox

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      wilkinsi
      Participant

Does this stompbox hold any advantage over the Blackhole plugin? Is there somewhere here I can download the stompbox’s presets (e.g.: “Andromeda”) and load it into my Blackhole plugin?

davebrubaker
      Participant

I’d also love to know the answer to the first question. As for the second question, I’m guessing it’s unlikely.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

The plug-in and stompbox are different in that the plug-in does have an extended range on the Size knob that makes more sense in a production environment; it ranges from -10 to120 versus just 0–100, like the algorithm on Space, H9, and Blackhole. That negative range on the plug-in renders interesting comb filtering sounds that make more sense in a mix.

With regards to compatibility with Space/H9 and the Blackhole stompbox, the EDM application uses a different software format to the H9 Control preset format, so they're not directly compatible. We are working on adding the ability for our user community to share their presets interchangeably between the family of pedals.

brock
      Participant

The 2nd question is officially answered.  I think an enterprising individual (with both plugin & pedal) could mirror most of those presets easily enough.

Speculating somewhat, but I see real advantage to the dedicated FREEZE switch.  That puts FREEZE in two locations [switch + variable FEEDBACK positions, including INF & FREEZE].  ACTIVE switch momentary / latching is there.  Of course, there’s the standard plugin vs. physical pedal pros & cons.

I’m sure I’m leaving something out here, but this is getting my brain cells burning.

brock
      Participant

The TL;DR case for a dedicated FREEZE switch: 

• Short-Med GRAVITY no DELAY no FEEDBACK (normal reverb base tone)
      • Tap FREEZE switch – capture a drone + dry signal overlay
      •  
      • Short-Med INV GRAVITY no DELAY no FEEDBACK (inverse reverb base tone)
      • Tap FREEZE switch – capture a fade-in + dry signal overlay
      •  
      • Deep INV or GRAVITY medium DELAY medium FEEDBACK (‘verb within delay line base tone)
      • Tap FREEZE switch – capture thick layers @ delay length + dry signal overlay
      •  
      • XXX GRAVITY long DELAY high FEEDBACK (long decaying delay-‘verb)
      • Tap FREEZE switch – capture a short phrase loop/’verb (-> 2 seconds) + dry signal overlay
      •  
      • Short-medium-long FEEDBACK
      • Tap FREEZE switch (in & out) – FEEDBACK level sets the fadeout time from FREEZE (sw) + dry signal overlay to base settings
      •  
      • FEEDBACK = INF – For example, layer up complex chords from single notes.
      • Tap FREEZE switch – Chord FREEZE background + dry signal overlay
      •  
      • FEEDBACK = FREEZE
      • Tap FREEZE switch – nothing.  There’s no signal in the delay matrix to FREEZE.
      • I see the FREEZE switch overriding any other value in the FEEDBACK / INF / FREEZE knob.

Now consider adjusting any / all of the combinations above with an expression pedal + FREEZE switch.  And I haven’t touched on the resonant EQ and modulation variations.  Or MIDI control.  I doubt I covered it all.

The short case for a momentary / latching action built in to the ACTIVE switch: 

• Take any of the scenarios above (and more).  Momentary ACTIVE punches in the delay / ‘verb settings.  A global BYPASS of DSP+FX should get the trails you’re looking for out of this.  Other global BYPASS types will get you more of a gated, stutter effect.  Momentary ACTIVE can dynamically ‘mix’ into whatever ‘verb and/or delay / loop you have set up.

brock
      Participant

I don’t know why I took the time to type all that.

Joe Cozzi has some incredible, in-depth tutorials up.  I’ve been tooling around with BlackHole’s ancestors for decades, and I picked up some new perspective from these vids:

Eventide Blackhole Pedal Tutorial – Part 1: Knobs & Switches

https://youtu.be/EdvvirF5uOw

Blackhole Pedal Tutorial – Part 2: Rear Panel & System Settings

https://youtu.be/0xcWsiw3Wqc

bohan
      Eventide Staff

Joe Cozzi did a really great job indeed

redr0cker

Just got the Blackhole pedal and already having issues. Firstly when I power up my pedalboard I do not get sound from the Blackhole, the lights are on and the pedals either side have sound. I have to unplug the power cable from the pedal and then reconnect to get sound. Software or hardware problem? Secondly, how do I hear all the presets after the first 5 in the device manager? How do you use the device manager? Any tutorials on that? Cheers Mike

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

That definitely does not sound like normal behavior. Please reinstall the firmware by connecting to EDM. On the left hand side where it says "Firmware Updates", click on 'check for updates'. Choose the first available option (1.0.0). After the update test to see if you keep having the same issue.

Regarding your second question, once the pedal is functioning normally, connect it to EDM and make sure you're in the PRESETS section. On the right hand side, you simply need to click on any of the preset names to access them. The first five presets correspond to the ones available on the pedal's preset ladder. You can move them around simply by dragging & dropping. PLEASE NOTE: If a preset is highlighted in yellow, it means the preset has been edited. You will not be able to switch to a new preset until you either Cancel the changes or Save them.

redr0cker

Hi Joe, thanks for the info. I had already downloaded an update, that now seems to have solved the “bypass” issue and the pedal seems to work normally.

As for the EDM, I managed to see where I was going wrong. What I would like to do is copy a preset into an available slot so I can then edit the original without losing it, if you see what I mean. Can that be done or what is the way I can do that? Cheers Mike

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

If you're on a Mac, select the preset you want to edit and option+drag it into an available slot. This will not only copy the preset into the new slot but keep the original in its place.

redr0cker

Hi Joe, no, I’m PC with Windows 10, will the same still work on PC? Cheers Mike.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Yes, on PC it should be the ALT key. ALT+Drag.

wilkinsi
      Participant
      davebrubaker wrote:

I’d also love to know the answer to the first question. As for the second question, I’m guessing it’s unlikely.

Well, you can export .tide presets made from the Blackhole algorithm on a Space stompbox to your computer, and import that into Blackhole plugin. I’ll wait for one of the Eventide staff to chime in here.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.