New Public Beta Software now available!

Home Forums Products Stompboxes New Public Beta Software now available!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      achaput

Eventide is happy to make new software for TimeFactor, ModFactor, PitchFactor, and Space, available
      as Public Beta to all registered owners of these Stompboxes. Since
      this is Beta software, it has not received the level of testing required
      for a full release. While it has been well tested by Eventide staff,
      there is a small possibility that it has problems our testing has not
      revealed.

To learn more, visit the Software Update Page of the Stompbox you want to update-

TimeFactor

ModFactor

PitchFactor

Space

brock
      Participant

A few initial impressions after installing the 3.5.0beta[3] version to my PitchFactor (from 3.0.0[19]:

The installation went flawlessly.  I seem to have better luck with powering down first and substituting a USB connection; rather than running it through my somewhat complex MIDI routing.

I didn't reinitialize the pedal, or take any special precautions to protect my custom presets (already backed up elsewhere).  A quick run-through of all the presets didn't reveal anything out of place.

The MIDI clock performance really does seem improved.  A change of a half-dozen BPM ramps up very quickly to the newly transmitted BPM value.  Using a keyboard that's nominally transmitting in tenths of a BPM, the Pitchfactor response is *at least* accurate to +/- 0.5 BPM.

The "washed-out filters" that I mentioned in the first section of this post seem to have improved dramatically.  The fuzz … not so much.  Since none of this was mentioned in the Release Notes, that has me doubting my own sanity.  Nothing has changed in my pedalboard/rack system, so I'll revert back to 3.0.0[19] at some point to A/B this aspect.

Unfortunately, the runaway Speed / Restart scenario described in the second part of that post has remained in 3.5.0beta[3].  At first, I couldn't seem to reproduce that situation as reliably, but it resurfaced after a few attempts.  Once, it kicked into 'high gear' by simply switching from a Tempo Off-based preset to a (custom) Harpeggiator preset saved with Tempo On.

I wasn't getting *any* response from external MIDI control … until I checked the RCV CH.   The PitchFactor is normally set to MIDI channel 2 in my system.  Is it possible that 3.5.0beta[3] resets / reverts to MIDI channel 1 (by accident or design)?

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

Thanks brock,

Glad the MIDICLK improvements are working out for you.  I suspect that the Harpeggiator Speed/Restart problem could actually a seperate bug at this point, I'll check it out and try to reproduce it myself.  We honestly haven't touched the filters or the fuzz in Harrpeggiator in long while, so I'm not sure why anything there should have been different than V2.3.   I'll try and give it a listen with fresh ears though.  

-Russ

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      We honestly haven't touched the filters or the fuzz in Harrpeggiator in long while

Speculation here, but I thought there was an outside chance that the '100% wet sum-to-zero fix' in this new beta might have contributed.  I wouldn't have even mentioned it if the difference wasn't so dramatic (especially in stereo S&H-type filter presets of mine).  I'm running stereo nearly end-to-end, so I'll check the cabling / effects chain again for inverted phase issues.

I appreciate your looking into that Speed / Restart anomaly.  It's no deal-breaker, but I ran into it while tapping into the HarPeggiator's deep potential for slicer-type presets.  Rate variations multiply those kind of presets into multi-presets, and sync-to-MIDI ensures that the preset has a reliable point to return to.

I wanted to report that those two LEARN fixes are holding steady here.  I haven't seen any drifting Key changes like I did in 3.0.0[19].  Once in a while, I'll see the uppermost right 'dot' light up in the display after a change has been made in a Diatonic / QuadraVox preset.  But it doesn't persist for very long (as if it were an intentional indicator that the edit buffer differs from the saved values).

One undocumented nuance happens in Bank mode; using the encoder knob.  A preset name will normally scroll, then reach a steady state.  Changing the algorithm refreshes the display for a couple of seconds with the new algo, then back to the steady-state preset name.

But when the encoder is switched to either Diatonic or QuadraVox, the behavior changes slightly.  In those cases, it shifts to preset name – algorithm (2 seconds) – preset name – current Key/Scale (2 seconds) – preset name.  Kind of cool.

It's one of those situations where if you like it – it's a feature.  If you don't like it, then it must be a bug.   Wink

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

Thanks brock, a few things:

1.  The 100% wet sum-to-zero but was only a bug in Harmodulator, this wasn't a problem in Harpeggiator that I'm aware of. 

2. The 'dot' is intentional on our part, and you're right about it's meaning.  

3.  The encoder nuance in Bank mode for Diatonic and Quadravox is also intentional.  

caveman
      Participant

Any other user impressions?  Going to take the plunge soon on the downloads.

Imerkat
      Participant

What happen to Version 2.0 of Space?

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

Our versioning system follows the underlying operating system of the devices.  Space was actually originally released at version 3.2.  The logical thing for our customers would be to assume that this was version 1.0, but the actual SW VERSION in the system menu of all the SPACEs reads 3.2.0.  At first we thought we could go backwards, but decided that this would be even more confusing.  All that to say, sorry for all the confusion.  We're just going to keep moving foward.   

aravositasspiros
      Participant

After updating to Modfactor I noticed a lack of sweetness in my sound….

(has anyone experienced this?)

So I reverted to previous version .

Amp: vibroking custom

guitar: fender 90s tele

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

Hi aravositasspiros,

Can you be more specific? Do you have an A/B example that demonstrates this?

Thanks,

Russ

aravositasspiros
      Participant

I will soon try to capture both software versions with a pro mic setup from my Vibroking amp.

Generaly speaking ,the overal sound of the latest beta version software (on my ears and some pro musicians friends ) is more vivid , has more presence ,but sounds more mechanical and I think it lacks of articulation and sweetness … I believe the pedal in the previous version sounded more -analog like-.

Ill try to ge back to you with a sound test.   🙂

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.