New TimeFactor 2.4.1 Available as Public Beta

Home Forums Products Stompboxes New TimeFactor 2.4.1 Available as Public Beta

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 61 reply threads
  • Author
      achaput

Eventide is happy to make its TimeFactor 2.4.1[5] software available as a Public Beta.

This Public Beta is open to all registered owners of TimeFactor.

Participation requires the following steps:

Create an Eventide.com Account.

Register your TimeFactor.

Read the Release notes from the TimeFactor Support Page for features and installation instructions.

Report any issues to TF_beta@eventide.com

EdDrake
      Participant

OK I was excited to see a new beta version uploaded. Just like with the previous beta version I was not able to get the Updater Utility to work with my Mac laptop running 10.5 Leopard. Every time I launched the Update Utility the program crashed, I even tried downloading the Utility again and reinstalling but got the same result. Just like with the previous beta I went back to an older Mac desktop running 10.4.11 Tiger and the utility worked great and I updated without a hitch.

So far all of the issues I saw with the previous beta version seem to be fixed (mainly Global mix works as expected now) and it does seem to save modulation settings now. One thing that does seem different (but it could be faulty memory on my part) is that in Bank Mode now when you pick either of the two available presets in a bank you no longer get the quick display of the delay type (Reverse, MultiTap etc) before it goes to the preset number where I swear the previous beta did display the delay type briefly. At this point I'm NOT planning on going back to the previous version so I can't go back and confirm this. If anyone out there still has the previous beta installed (2.4.0) please check and see if the display briefly shows the delay type when clicking a preset foot switch in Bank mode. I find that showing the Delay type is helpful to me to make sure I've got the right preset called up. Of course if we could name patches then this wouldn't be an issue.

So far everything seems to be good, I didn't have that much time last night to check out everything but I'll post anything new I come across.

There is still an issue with the Update utility working in Leopard.

Thanks!!

JNPMusic

I had a problem with using snow leopard 10.6 and couldn't get the update. It goes all the way to asking me if I'm sure I want to install this update and then my wheel just keeps spinning. I then got out the laptop with 10.5 and it worked fine. So far the update seems to be fine! For some reason my pedal sounds better….?    

achaput

Ed Drake:

in Bank Mode now when you pick either of the two available presets in a bank you no longer get the quick display of the delay type (Reverse, MultiTap etc) before it goes to the preset number

You are right, this is a bug. Thanks for catching it!

tropics

i still cannot update.  i am on OSX 10.5.8 Leopard.  i also tried on windows vista where it also crashes.  please send me the file so i can manually update.  this is ridiculous

almesy

Weird – I must be lucky.  I updated both the Modfactor and Timefactor last night with 10.5.8 and had no problems.

starfish

It's great Eventide has addressed the numerous bugs in the beta 2.4.1 software, but this experience has taught me that QA is pretty low in Eventide beta software releases.

Case in point – FactorLib is somehow tested extensively (I presume) on OSX 10.5 and only works with 10.5 and up.  Yet, you must still use 10.4.11 or lower to update the Timefactor software even in beta 2.4.1[5].  This is inconsistent, plainly bizarre, and poor QA, IMHO.  

2.4.1[5] still isn't ready for public distribution as a beta release.  Suggestion – release future beta software on a limited basis ('focus group' w/ a documented test process)  and get the obvious problems out of the way before public release – (i.e. saving preset settings like modulation and updating Timefactor with current versions of OSX). 

Reckedtrek

Updated fine on Vista here, both on 2.4.0 and now with 2.4.1

Haven't had much of a chance to play around with it, though.

mordecai
      Participant

Oh please help!!

Just tried to update both my modfactor & timefactor, both updates stalled at the same point, with a pop up window saying "***factor update unsuccessful, please reboot ***factor and try and update again."

When this happens both factors had "ready" on the screen.

Now here's the problem…. When i try and power up both factors they light up for a second then turn off! It's like they are both fried, i hope something hasn't gone permanently wrong with them.

Has anyone else had this problem or know a solution?

Thanks

Alex

caveman
      Participant

All good here with with Leopard.  DSP+FX bypass now working nicely.

thejay

I updated without issue as well

Reckedtrek

I think I read about this on a thread here on this forum. As long as it powers up for a second, I think they can walk you through it without having to send anything back., I.E. don't panic.

cacibi
      Participant

Successful update via OSX 10.6.1

Gio Makyo

It was suggested that the Timefactor timing problems could be resolved by installing the new beta release 2.4.1 (5). This however has led to another problem. I opened the Eventide Update Utility to download the beta version, but everytime I get to the "read me" page for the beta version and click "Ok", it crashes the Update Utility app, telling me to re-launch. (And re-launcing sees the same thing again…) Thus I am unable to proceed to actually downloading the software. I am on a Mac running OS 10.5.8 — are there any know issues or fixes for this? Alternately, is there another way to download the software?

I have a live gig this weekend where I really hope to use the Timefactor… a quick reply would be greatly appreciated!

JNPMusic

Gio

That happened to me as well several times but I just kept trying it and after about 6 attempts it finally installed the update….  It seemed like the system was busy and I just needed to keep trying to download the software…….Good Luck!

achaput

Gio Makyo:

I have a live gig this weekend where I really hope to use the Timefactor…

As it says in the release notes it is advised not to update to the public beta software just before a gig or tour.

Aside from that, did you try putting the pedal in manual update mode? (power up while holding down the middle footswitch.)

Gio Makyo

Well, either the Beta solves the timing problems or I'm not going to use it!

I did put the Pedal in Manual Update mode, though I thought only Ver. 1 required this… Update status is indicated as Ok in the Utility window… either way, it made no difference, same problem. Still crashing after the Beta Read Me window and can't get past it to the actual download… have tried about a dozen times now with no luck…

tropics

yeah im having the same exact problems.  im going to try it on a friends OS this weekend because eventide will not just send me the beta release to manually install it

EdDrake
      Participant

I couldn't get it to work in 10.5.8 either although several people have gotten it to work and even someone posted it worked in 10.6 as well. I ended up having to go to an older desktop Mac that still has 10.4.11 and it worked flawlessly. One thing I am going to try when the next version comes out is to search my computer for anything Eventide related and trash it. Then I'll reinstall the utility again and see if I have better luck next time. One other thing I noticed is when I had the Time Factor plugged in before I launched the updater, the updater immediately crashes before it opens at all. Later after I had already updated the TF on the other computer I tried opening the update utility without the factor plugged in and the utility program opened up without crashing. I did not try to rescan since I had already updated the factor at that point. You might try opening the utility first before you plug your factor into the computer and then plug it in scan for the factor, just a thought.

Would it be helpful for us to send our log files to Eventide when the utility crashes to help with trouble shooting this? I think it's odd that some of us are having no problems with the updater and others can't get it to work at all. There has to be some reason.

Gio Makyo

very frustrating!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

As you can tell, we are having real problems wih these update issues, so the more information we have, the better.

So, please send in log files, along with any other information you think may be helpful. Hopefully it will help us get to the bottom of it. The main problem is that none of our computers have problems (or we would have fixed them) – it's difficult to know what is happening with another computer that can be thousands of miles away. There is also more than one failure mechanism, so what works in one place does not work in another.

A few tips in the meantime:

1) disconnect ALL other USB devices.

2) stop ALL other applications. Especially, do not Web browse or send/receive email.

EdDrake
      Participant

Well how do I get the crash logs to someone? I just searched my computer and came up with a folder in Users/(me)/Library/Logs/Crash Reporter that has crash reports from all of the times I've attempted to open up the Updater Utility and had it crash. I have copied them to a folder and zipped them up and can send them to someone, it's a small file.

Thanks!

I just had a hanging update on Windows7 with both my ModFactor and TimeFactor.

It completed the download and got to the point where the update should commence…then nothing happened and the 'Factor just displayed 'Ready…' for ages (then I unplugged it).

A reattempt on Vista worked fine.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Ed Drake:

Well how do I get the crash logs to someone?

See the first post:

"Report any issues to TF_beta@eventide.com

Or, attach them to a post to this forum.

thenightrunner
      Participant

I must be lucky, I didn't have no problems of updating.

EdDrake
      Participant

nickrose:

Or, attach them to a post to this forum.

Here you go

siriusbliss

I've logged in, but do not see the beta download.

Is it gone?

Greg

Gio Makyo

Ok, I've tried all advice given so far, but I'm still hitting the same crash when agreeing to the Read Me page for the Beta 2.4.1… un-plugged all other USB devices (except the keyboard, which is USB on the Mac and needed to type in password etc.), started up the TF so it went into Update mode… Utility recognises the device, that isn't the problem. Problem comes when exiting the Read Me page … 

It certainly seems like this is not an isolated problem and that the Utility is buggy. I recognise that this would be a very convenient tool if it were working properly, but since it clearly isn't, can't Eventide provide registered users with a link where we could directly download the update and bypass the Utility? 

siriusbliss:

I've logged in, but do not see the beta download.

You don't download it explicitly…just install and fire-up the update utility.

JNPMusic

That's exactly what happens to me when I use OSX 10.6 and I couldn't do the install so I had to use my laptop with 10.5 and it still gave me a few problems as to my earlier reply. There has to be something going on in the program that's stopping us from completing the update……  

Isn't  there a way to manually update the TF?

Okay.. I think I've got this sorted.

I'm still getting crashes in the eventide update utility on 10.6.2 after the 'Agree' screen as well, well actually it's the Readme.

It also doesn't seem to save my password, but I'm gonna guess that's due to it crashing.

If you're anything like me you're getting this as the 'Application Specific Information' in the Error Report.

"Assertion failed: (!fileName.isEmpty()), function slotDownload, file httpthread.cpp, line 475."

Now, one way around this error is to click on Properties instead of clicking on Install Update. Then write down the location, pop it in a web browser and then after entering your eventide username and password you should be all good to go.

Jump back into the Update Utility and go to the File menu and go update from File, and then choose the file that you've just downloaded.

You're done!

(p.s.. if you get the error saying that it's having trouble locating the device after the update is done, simply put the device back into update mode and it will be happy again)

Priestunes
      Participant

I tried this tonight. The message I saw was "Bad!!" and now the screen is black.

jimmymacs

Hey all..i know it sounds stupid but i have just successfully downloaded the new available updates for my timefactor and modfactor on my PC Laptop but i still have the same number of banks.they have not expanded to the new capacity. Am i missing something really basic here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!(as you can tell i'm not that knowledgeable in this department.)

jimmymacs

Hello,

wondering if you could help me out…i have successfully downloaded the new software to my timefactor and modfactor on my PC Laptop but i still have the same amount of banks.i don't have the new larger more extensive range of banks.

e.g. my timefactor is still bank 1–bank–10

my modfactor is still bank 1–bank–20

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reckedtrek

It's in the manual.

kdavies

You need to go into the utility and set the number of banks that you want to have access too.

I'm at work so can't be specific, read the update notes for the last update and or manual.

dissever

what has been changed in this new release?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Please read the Release Notes – that is why they are there.

TheDan

Hi there, I ve just updated the MF and the TF with Leopard Snow 10.5.8. and had no problems. The only thing that happened was that both pedals were not found  when I turned them on in update mode. So I turned them off restarded them in bank mode and they were found. After that  I turned them off  again restarded them in update mode and it worked fine.  I received mine two weeks ago so I had the first software version on them. Maybe this helps.

BTBAM

So I updated to 2.4.1[5], and unless I just don't understand what
      new has been done to the expression pedal…it still doesn't work for
      me.

this is both on the pitchfactor and the timefactor.

I feel like I can set a heel position, then go to the toe, but when I go back to the heel it has changed.

Even
      just now I saved a setting on the timefactor.  I thought that heel down
      settings saved as the main sound when a expression pedal wasn't plugged
      in, but it just changed the values to the toe position.  Not just that,
      but I could play the setting and it would be fine, then I would toe up,
      and when I heeled back again, it had changed the value, and not to my
      original setting.

help!

BTBAM

So I updated to 2.4.1[5], and unless I just don't understand what
      new has been done to the expression pedal…it still doesn't work for
      me.

this is both on the pitchfactor and the timefactor.

I feel like I can set a heel position, then go to the toe, but when I go back to the heel it has changed.

Even
      just now I saved a setting on the timefactor.  I thought that heel down
      settings saved as the main sound when a expression pedal wasn't plugged
      in, but it just changed the values to the toe position.  Not just that,
      but I could play the setting and it would be fine, then I would toe up,
      and when I heeled back again, it had changed the value, and not to my
      original setting.

help!

Hey .. I just want to encourage you eventide guys. I'm really grateful for your commitment to the timefactor and making it an awesome pedal. As frustrating as some of the issues are with the beta, it is a beta and trouble comes with the territory – I'm just greatful to be able to play with some of this stuff now.

I used the beta for a gig this past weekend – it didn't miss a beat, not that I'm doing anything spectacular with it. The only feedback I feel I can give is that I am facing bank overload – I seriously don't know how anyone could use 50 banks unless you were in an automated environment (midi) – though I have to say I'm more and more inclined to see the need for more external pedals (currently using one just for tap).

Personally I would love to see a change in the way banks are handled. Start it off at the default 10 bank, 20 preset, but then from there allow append and delete operations. So it would go 8, 9 ,10, append (11:1 or 11:2), but also allow the deletion of any extraneous banks – keep the need for moving through multiples to a minimum. 

And one other thing, please allow us to use pedal hold as an additional control separate from tap (ala how the tap button allows you to operate it as tap, but also how a hold allows you to switch between play and bank mode). Unless this is already possible and I have just missed it?! (it wouldn't surprise me actually).

But one thing at a time I suppose. Anyway, you guys are awesome.

TheDan

Hi, I played a gig about a week ago and didn't had much time programming stuff. But I figured out the way to move presets to a preset I needed quickly. For example I wanted the sound of the Banddelay from 6:2 to preset 1:2.  What I did then I programmed the TF and MF to 3 banks, means after the third bank it moved back to the first. I play in different bands and I think I'm gonna programm the pedals this way. First band bank 1-5, ´second 6-10 for example. You can do that in the Utility Section. Then select the bank menu and you can set the banks the way you need them. With the left footswitch and the encoder knob select the starting bank for example  6. With the right footswitch and the encoder knob select the highest bank for example 10. Works great for me =) 

Hope I could help.

cacibi
      Participant

It is one helluva unit – and closer to anything else I've come across that has both the features and sounds I'm looking for.  Easy to get down on it when it's not working the way you'd like…but it's also true that it's a great gizmo and the latest beta seems to be getting close.  So I'll second the good vibes Smile

steen

Hi, I'd like to know if the firmware's final version will include the "auto-volume swell" feature as for the Line6 DL4.

Kind reguards

dack

I just installed 2.4.1[5], and so far I am very pleased!

I haven't listened much to hear the audio changes, but I love that the hiss parameter has been replaced with saturation.

The MIDI improvements are awesome!  Using it as a midi clock master works like a charm. I also love that it transmits MIDI events for the external footswitch buttons. I've long been hoping for that ability.

One feature I think would be great for a future version is per-bank tempo. Kind of like global tempo, but make it unique to each bank. That way you could change between, for example, 1:1 and 1:2 for a verse and chorus without it messing with the tempo you just tapped. But if you change to the next bank it would still load your saved tempo.

Thanks!

same thing with modfactor too.

diegoarts

per Bank Tempo = great idea!

same thing would be very useful for spillover per Bank! sometimes you need spillover, sometimes you won't.

I meant to say

"in Bank Mode now when you pick either of the two available presets in a bank you no longer get the quick display of the delay type (Reverse, MultiTap etc) before it goes to the preset number "

same thing with modfactor too
      Gio Makyo

Support finally provided me with a fix that worked, so Update was at last successful.  Thanks to Eventide for coming through. Now to check the improved MIDI clock timing on long delays!

Teahead

I'm updated to the latest firmware and am experiencing problems with my Digitech aux switch that worked perfectly before. The issues seem to relate only to the T+R switch, I have this programmed to toggle between low and high feedback settings (knob4) for delay A. When I select the switch the Timefactor's display no longer shows the change in feedback as it used to, although it does apply the parameter change.

Also, when in looper mode the TF is now recognising the T+R command (stop) as the feedback change I mentioned above, something it never did before. Unfortunately this is causing a high rate of decay to be applied to my loops unless I remember to switch it back, which is tough because the display fails to alert me!

Anyone else having aux switch issues? I know this is an extremely small and specific complaint, aside from which the latest update has been excellent to me. Many thanks to all at Eventide for your work.

manicmedic99

I had the Exact same experience when attempting to update TimeFactor via Win XP.

diegoarts

Hi, i was wondering: will there be a new PDF document containing the 50 factory presets now available with the upgrade?! i know, one could find out settings via follow-up, but it would be great if one could just have a quick look at how they are set up.

thanks

diego

cacibi
      Participant
      diegoarts

First: The Link does not work?!

Second: for Timefactor!

But thanks anyway – is there a working link?!

thanks

diego

diegoarts

Ah sorry – no, i was thinking of an updated "TimeFactor Preset Manual" for all 50 presets (with exact settings) – a table would do. it does not have to be done graphically!

thanks anyway

diego

javiceres
      Participant

I can't hear any difference turning the saturation knob, I was so excited about this change but it doesn't seem to work in my pedal. The Vintage DD otherwise sounds awesome now.

kamarx
      Participant

Hmmm… I'm running the Update Utility for my Timefactor (Modfactor's next) so I can update to 2.4.1[5], now pretty confused. The last 2 versions listed are 2.4.2[1] and (below that) 2.4.0beta[1]. I assume that they're listed in ascending order so I just updated(?) from 2.4.2[1] to 2.4.0beta[1]. So, my questions, was  that an actual update, and why isn't 2.4.1[5] listed? Thanks!

achaput

Hi kamarx,

Version 2.4.1beta[5] is now back online. However, please note that 2.4.2[1] is the latest version.

kamarx
      Participant

Great, thanks. I kinda figured that so I re-updated to that version.

BTW, I just got a Moog MP-201 midi controller, I think it's going to be usable with the Factor pedals. I'd be interested if anyone else has experience with them (I know that's a new subject, Imay start a new thread for it)

Thanks again!

kerry

pisquano

hi guys

updated to 2.4.2, but …… I can't see the new presets!!!

i turn on the timefactor and it still only shows 20 banks….

any ideas??

sic
      Participant

go to system mode, change the available banks to 50 instead of 20…

Viewing 61 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.