New to Eventide – Advice Needed

Home Forums Products Stompboxes New to Eventide – Advice Needed

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      hammer_on_bass
      Participant

Hi guys, I have been researching Eventide pedals recently and want to try out on my bass. I’m looking at either Pitchfactor, Micropitch or H9 to start with. Am I going in the right direction. Why would I choose on over the other, and which would be a good first stomp?

PRSGUY513
      Participant

Without knowing more about your rig it’s a bit hard to be very specific. Is this for live use or recording in studio or both? If you have no other fx gear usually a bass player will have a compressor of some sort and then a chorusing and even distortion effect. All to enhance dynamics and thicken tone. The H9Max can do all this and more, but is a hefty investment and there might be features you’ll never use depending on the music you play and eagerness to get crazy. I’m inclined to say the Micropitch would be a good start of the three. Mainly because it’s a newer Eventide product and affordable. Although the Pitchfactor will give you more editing capabilities. Same with the the H9.

Maybe describe more about the type music you play and the situation you play most. Also, how technically inclined you are or want to get. The other thing about the MicroPitch is it was designed to be easy to use and get great sounds right out of the box. I have the H9Max and love it. If I didn’t have anything and didn’t want to spend a lot cash the Micropitch would be a top contender.

apalazzolo
      Participant

It’s not quite true, but generally an H9 max does everything Pitchfactor and Mictropitch do.  And, of course, you also get a tuner.

Possibly more importantly for bass is that EqCompressor has quite a few bass EQ curve presets.  Naturally, they all have compression too.  Also, one little known feature of this algo is that the “Trim” control adds modest overdrive from about +4dB to +12dB.  It’s not a fuzz.  It is mild compared to fuzz.

Speaking of fuzz (if that’s your thing) and basic compression, you can find them in Crushstation and in Sculpt.

The compressors in Ducked Delay and Dynaverb have full controls (mix, threshold, ratio, etc.).

PRSGUY513
        Participant

It’s not quite true, but generally

“Generally” was how I was approaching things. From the general tone of the OP I got the impression he is completely new to effects. Could be wrong. Getting into the specific differences of each device could turn into quite an involved post especially if I was to take the time to explain the explanations.😉

OTOH, you have some good points and knowledge like the ability to drive the Micropitch. I don’t own or ever played the stand alone pedal so I can’t speak to the specifics. I’ve seen more than a few demos. Personally I would probably look at a purpose built compressor using analog technology for a bass. Or anything for that matter. Quality optical compressors can’t be beat. But I tend to always keep economics  in mind when giving advice. “Best bang for the buck” sort of thing.

hammer_on_bass
      Participant

Hey guys thanks for your replies. To help clarify I’m a gigging/touring/recoding bassist in a rock band. I’m used to effects. Have recently moved away from Helix (couldn’t get it to work for me) and I am building a new pedalboard for a tour scheduled for December.

currently have a few utility pedals put together and a Darkglass Photon which is wild, plus a Source Audio Lunar Phaser. But I’m looking for other areas of experimenting to try and unlock new ideas.

I’m reasonably OK with the tech side of things so don’t mind getting into it a bit. I like the idea of the H9 but have to admit it does look a bit alien to me 🙂

The micro pitch does appeal both on budget and the fact that it is newer than oitchfactor/H9, although I guess this probably does not mater so much.

I think I’m looking for an entry point into Eventide to start experimenting/discovering and becoming more comfortable with the products. But at the same time don’t want to get the ‘wrong’ one first. Hope you get what I mean.

PRSGUY513
        Participant

Oh OK, so you’re pretty well initiated. Now the question is what was it that you “couldn’t get to work for you” with the Helix? Was it sound quality or the difference between fully digital modeling using Algorithm blocks vs. a more analog type pedal.

I guess my dilemma in telling you what to get is part of me would say get the H9Max and be done with it. It is the most full featured pedal style Eventide unit. But it is an algorithm based device. It relies on a DSP chip to process and can only process so much at a time. Especially with highest quality reverbs, delays, pitch. In full disclosure and might be sacrilege here on the Eventide forum I sometime ran into road blocks with the H9 and wanting multiple high grade FX at once. (why you sometimes see two H9’s on pros pedal boards) What I run now is a Fractal FM3 with the H9 in the FM3’s FX loop. With that I can offset any DSP/CPU lacking in both units and get outrageously superb sound quality and easier programming. This is in no way to put down the H9. Eventide produced a very cool powerhouse for a reasonable price with the H9.

You have other FX so you could go the more economical with the Micropitch to get your feet wet with Eventide and add some new sonic qualities. Or go further with the H9Max or even go really crazy with the H9000. Oh and part of me personally worries (because I’m sort of fanatical about spending my money wisely) that the H9 is getting to be an older product and if was to purchase the H9 right now Eventide would release a newer more powerful version of the H9 a month later. Sorry if I’m boggling your head with my ramblings. This is my crazy process when deciding on new gear. I’m 57 and have owned so much gear in my life that sometime were more learning lessons than enjoyable. Now I’m at the point where I don’t really need anything and more only just want to get things that will really make a big difference. Bottomline, Eventide is an excellent company and never seem to produce anything that isn’t top quality. Hope something I wrote helps.

PRSGUY513
      Participant

One more thing that makes all the new pedals like the Micropitch, TriceraChorus, UltraTap, Blackhole cool is you can incrementally add them and they are more tactile with knobs that you can turn and get instant results, yet still save presets and I believe they all are able to be used with the Bluetooth editor.

hammer_on_bass
      Participant

Thank you. I’ll sleep on it but think I’m leaning towards Micropitch 👍

hammer_on_bass
      Participant

One more thing that makes all the new pedals like the Micropitch, TriceraChorus, UltraTap, Blackhole cool is you can incrementally add them and they are more tactile with knobs that you can turn and get instant results, yet still save presets and I believe they all are able to be used with the Bluetooth editor.

👍👍

noodle1
      Participant

If I wanted an inexpensive pedal introduction to Eventide I would go with a used H9… (52 algorithms w editor)
      You can always sell for more expensive or different gear, and the pedal is definitely worth playing around with.

hammer_on_bass
      Participant

If I wanted an inexpensive pedal introduction to Eventide I would go with a used H9… (52 algorithms w editor)You can always sell for more expensive or different gear, and the pedal is definitely worth playing around with.

There are lots of H9 core units available so I had thought I’d that. Would I be able to recreate Pitchfactor on that?

noodle1
        Participant

Core would not come pre-loaded with PitchFactor, I would look for a Max, for around the cost of a Factor pedal.. (400-500 range), I know it sounds expensive, but you would get the equivalent to 5 Eventide pedals in 1 unit.

apalazzolo
      Participant

“I’m looking for other areas of experimenting to try and unlock new ideas.”

An H9max is one of the best signal processors for this in history.  It and a Mission sph9 will keep you busy for years to come.

hammer_on_bass
      Participant

Is it a good idea to buy a core and max it?

PRSGUY513
      Participant

Is it a good idea to buy a core and max it?

Depends how inexpensive you can get a core. I was just looking and see a new H9Max is $599 US. I could be mistaken, but I thought they use to be $699 and was the price I was going on when discussing here. Heck for $599 I would get that and not have to deal with all the BS of going used. Unless of course you find a Core for very little money because the FAQ says it’s $300 to Max out a Core.

I’ll let others chime in with more info. I would probably contact Eventide regardless to find out the exact situation and cost with upgrading a used Core to a Max.

apalazzolo
      Participant

Maxout price went down.

H9 MaxOut Promo

Still. If I were relying on complex gear on tour, I’d buy new.  Maybe a retailer will come down a little if you haggle on the phone.

Do yourself a favor and watch Joe Cozzi’s tutorial videos for the dot 9 pedals.   They are great for the H9 too.

hammer_on_bass
      Participant

Thanks for the advice dudes. I’ve now got a H9 Max and loving it 🤘

PRSGUY513
      Participant

Thanks for the advice dudes. I’ve now got a H9 Max and loving it 🤘

You’re quite welcome!! That’s great news. Rock on!!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.