New user: why do some factory presets want to blow up my amp?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes New user: why do some factory presets want to blow up my amp?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      cacibi
      Participant

Hi,

Just purchased my H9 yesterday.  I find that many of the H9 presets create crazy chaos/mayhem that seems to want to blow up my amp.  They just get out of control REALLY fast.  What am I doing wrong?  I have adjusted the input gain and amp not using any other effects in the signal chain when this happens.  Is there another global setting I need to adjust? Example: 1984PANAMA just goes into high frequency oscillation almost instantly when I activate the pedal.  Thanks

gkellum
      Participant

That's strange. 1984Panama is really a pretty tame preset. Could you send an email to support@eventide.com with a quick cell phone video of what you're seeing? That will help us diagnosis the problem…

cacibi
      Participant

video sent

cacibi
      Participant

Also:

Source is set to Guitar

Issue occurs with multiple amps and if used independently of the looper and pedalboard shown in the video.  Both the with factory power supply and the Gigrig Evenflo adapter I use on the pedalboard

gkellum
      Participant

That's quite a set-up you've got there…  I was asking myself when you first posted whether you could have a bad memory chip in your H9, but after watching the video, I don't think that's the problem…  It sounds like the H9 is feeding back, no?  I'm going to have to talk to some of my colleagues about the problem on Monday to see if they recognize this as something they've seen before.

cacibi
      Participant

That's right – on many presets it goes into wild oscillation/feedback.  Others work fine.  For example I have a very stable slapjack delay that I've programmed.  But as I go through the factory presets I have to be very careful because many of them just go into instant chaos and I was afraid I was going to blow my amp's speaker yesterday as I was trying it out!

gkellum
      Participant

One thing you might want to try is reinstalling the software on your H9.  (You can do this by clicking on the Pedal button in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and going to 'Update Stompboxes Software').  I can remember two cases where simply reinstalling the software got rid of some weird behaviour that we'd never seen otherwise.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It sounds like you may have some kind of feedback path in your setup. Have a good look and be sure that you are not ever feeding the H9 with anything other than guitar.

cacibi
      Participant

If I take the pedal off the board altogether, and just run my guitar direct into input 1, and run output 1 into the amp (tried two amps) it does the same thing.

When I try to reinstall the firmware, I get the error code: [sm_response_timeout]

cacibi
      Participant

Wait….got the firmware reinstalled….possibly fixed….testing…

gkellum
      Participant

So, are you good now?  Did that fix the problem you were seeing?

tenohr

I´m experiencing the same thing. How did you solve it?

gkellum
        Participant
        tenohr wrote:

I´m experiencing the same thing. How did you solve it?

In his particular case he just reinstalled the H9 software.  You can do this in H9 Control by going to Pedal Settings / Update Stompbox's Software.  If that doesn't do it for you, please send an email to support@eventide.com and we'll help you figure out what's going on.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.