No audio output when switching from bypass to active.

Home Forums Products Stompboxes No audio output when switching from bypass to active.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Darren Livy
      Participant

Hi, I’m having a problem when switching from bypass to active on my H9 max via midi from a Line 6 Helix. It all works fine when I power up both units but when I change to a patch on the Helix that doesnt incorporate the H9 and then go back to the patch that does incorporate the H9 I loose output from the H9 when it’s active. If I switch to bypass either from the Helix or H9 I get the dry sound but no output when the H9 is active. If I change a preset on the H9 I get sound again but if I use the bypass/active switch in that preset the same happens, no sound. The only way to get it working properly is to switch the H9 off and on again.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

My guess is that this is a problem specific to your setup (or we would have noticed it).

Try setting the H9 to Factory Defaults (see UM), the go through all the MIDI settings, and make sure that everything you don't need is OFF.

I suspect that the Helix is sending something of which you are unaware, and that this is confusing the H9.

Darren Livy
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

My guess is that this is a problem specific to your setup (or we would have noticed it).

Try setting the H9 to Factory Defaults (see UM), the go through all the MIDI settings, and make sure that everything you don’t need is OFF.

I suspect that the Helix is sending something of which you are unaware, and that this is confusing the H9.

Hi Nick, thanks for getting back to me.  I have tried resetting the H9 and only turned on the midi settings that I require but it’s still doing the same thing. The other patches on my Helix don’t have any midi comands to the H9, could this possibly be the problem? If it is I’ll go through all the patches and put the commands in.

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        darren livy wrote:

Hi Nick, thanks for getting back to me.  I have tried resetting the H9 and only turned on the midi settings that I require but it's still doing the same thing. The other patches on my Helix don't have any midi comands to the H9, could this possibly be the problem? If it is I'll go through all the patches and put the commands in.

I have no idea what is happening, so can't be of much help. That aside:

One question – when it is in this state, does it seem as if the correct preset is loaded ? Can you adjust parameters, etc.

A second thing to try – when it is in this state, connect it guitar-H9-amp, and see if the same happens.

Darren Livy
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

I have no idea what is happening, so can’t be of much help. That aside:

One question – when it is in this state, does it seem as if the correct preset is loaded ? Can you adjust parameters, etc.

A second thing to try – when it is in this state, connect it guitar-H9-amp, and see if the same happens.

Yes, the correct preset is loaded when it’s in this state and I can adjust the parameters. The H9 also shows it’s getting a signal from the guitar. If I connect a guitar direct to H9 it’s still the same, no audio when active. (There has been a little audio getting through but I need to crank the volume to ridiculous levels to hear anything). I still get the same problem if I disconnect the midi lead too (once the problem has occurred). I have now made two patches on the Helix that incorporate the H9 and when I switch between them there’s no problem. It’s only when I switch to a patch on the Helix that doesn’t have any midi commands to the H9 and back again do I get a problem??? I guess I can work around the problem and put the midi commands on all my patches. It would be nice to know why it’s doing this though.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – I'm out of ideas.

One thing – you didn't actually say that you had connected guitar-H9-amp. Can you confirm that you did this and it still showed the problem ?

Darren Livy
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

Sorry – I’m out of ideas.

One thing – you didn’t actually say that you had connected guitar-H9-amp. Can you confirm that you did this and it still showed the problem ?

I’m using the H9 in one of the FX loop in the Helix and I haven’t got an amp to hand as they are in storage. As soon as I get one out of storage I’ll give it a try.

Gav RL

I think this happened to me tonight too, so suspect it’s an actual firmware issues buried deep somewhere. Loaded a preset via Ableton, with it loading up with the H9 engaged. If at any point I bypass it, when I next try to turn it on, it mutes the whole lot. Turn it off again, signal returns, minus the H9, obviously. Had to turn the power off and on again to get it to stop doing it.

Gav RL

….and I was using the H9 in front on the amp, yes. No FX loops or anything.

shawngs
      Participant

I’m having the same issue. When I select a preset it activates and sounds as it should. when I turn off the “Active” button the effect turns off as it should but when I press the “Active” button again I get an almost inaudible amount of sound. I can just barely hear any output. I can tell that the effect is “on” but the volume is so low that it is effectively muted. If I change presets then the volume is back to normal. It does this regardless of what preset I change from/to and happens if its activated on the effect pedal, through midi, or through the app. Any ideas?

gkellum
        Participant
        shawngs wrote:

I'm having the same issue. When I select a preset it activates and sounds as it should. when I turn off the "Active" button the effect turns off as it should but when I press the "Active" button again I get an almost inaudible amount of sound. I can just barely hear any output. I can tell that the effect is "on" but the volume is so low that it is effectively muted. If I change presets then the volume is back to normal. It does this regardless of what preset I change from/to and happens if its activated on the effect pedal, through midi, or through the app. Any ideas?

Could you try resetting the H9s system settings and disconnecting everything so its just a guitar, the H9 and an amp to see if this still happens?

Someone mentioned above in this thread that this is happening when changing presets from Ableton.  If you could zip up an Ableton session and send it to us and let us know what H9 presets you were loading (maybe export the H9 preset list), we could have one of our testers try to reproduce the problem here.  You'd just need to send the session to support@eventide.com

shawngs
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

Could you try resetting the H9s system settings and disconnecting everything so its just a guitar, the H9 and an amp to see if this still happens?

Someone mentioned above in this thread that this is happening when changing presets from Ableton.  If you could zip up an Ableton session and send it to us and let us know what H9 presets you were loading (maybe export the H9 preset list), we could have one of our testers try to reproduce the problem here.  You’d just need to send the session to support@eventide.com

I am not using Ableton. Sorry for the miscommunication. I am using a midi footpedal to change presets and have tried disconnecting from all other equipment and running guiter>h9>amp but still getting the same issue. I’ll try a factory restore and see if that helps.

Thank you.

shawngs
      Participant

Also, I just wne to the “Input Gain an Level Meters” within the app. I can see that the input gain is normal but the output is highly reduced.

Gav RL

Whereas I just wrote this off as a dead rubber. It should work, but it doesn’t, so I’ve just accepted that my H9 won’t do what I wanted it for.

tstern
        Eventide Staff
        Gav RL wrote:
        Whereas I just wrote this off as a dead rubber. It should work, but it doesn't, so I've just accepted that my H9 won't do what I wanted it for.

Before you write it off, if you help us reproduce the issue we can potentially find a solution.  As my colleague noted above, zip up an Ableton session that makes it happen, and we can take a look to either resolve the issue or, if it's a firmware bug, fix it for a future release.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

We have found a possible cause for this problem. And a workaround.

Some MIDI controllers send a double precision (two byte) bank select before sending a Program Change.  This involves sending values on CC0 and CC32. It just happens that Input Swell (ISW) has a default assignment to CC32 – this means that it becomes anabled as a result of this bank select, and the swell is set by going to BYPASS and back. Since the bank is normally 0, this means that the swell is set to zero, hence silence.

The workaround is to go to SYSTEM mode, and set MIDI-RCV.CTL-ISW to something other than 32. Turn it off "—" if you are not using it.

We will change the ISW default on the next release.

kdurdis
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

We have found a possible cause for this problem. And a workaround.

Some MIDI controllers send a double precision (two byte) bank select before sending a Program Change.  This involves sending values on CC0 and CC32. It just happens that Input Swell (ISW) has a default assignment to CC32 – this means that it becomes anabled as a result of this bank select, and the swell is set by going to BYPASS and back. Since the bank is normally 0, this means that the swell is set to zero, hence silence.

The workaround is to go to SYSTEM mode, and set MIDI-RCV.CTL-ISW to something other than 32. Turn it off “—” if you are not using it.

We will change the ISW default on the next release.

I had the same problem when sending PC from my Boss Tube Amp Expander to the H9-max (FW 5.82) that is in the effects loop of the TAE. The solution described worked. Thanks and also thanks a lot for the great new Harmadillo algorithm !

ReverendLove
      Participant

Yes!
      I had nearly the same here.
      I used two H9 in series as insert in the master channel of a cubase project. It didn’t matter if I switched the H9 manual or with the control software from my iPad. It even didn’t matter witch H9 I tried. Both muted after an off/on of the pedals. Either with the left switch of the pedal or the control software.
      Reassigning the input control in the Midi Setup to No Controller helped.
      But I wondered if this controller is set up to 32 by default. If so, it will be a call for troubles.
      The last entry in the attached thread directed me to the solution. https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/help-volume-muting-new-update

mmallea
      Participant

I had the same issue in my h9 in my amps effect loop. I am only using input 1 and output 1 on the h9. I ended up changing the routing option from normal to pre post and it all started working. I don’t believe I have any special routes set up in the patches. At least if there are I didn’t set them. Was late and I was happy to make it work. Will look more into it this evening. Funny tho I have a Timefactor and after an update it started behaving the same way. I ended up restoring from a backup I took at the time to make it work again, perhaps changing that setting in it ( if it exists) would fix it there as well

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        mmallea wrote:
        I had the same issue in my h9 in my amps effect loop. I am only using input 1 and output 1 on the h9. I ended up changing the routing option from normal to pre post and it all started working. I don't believe I have any special routes set up in the patches. At least if there are I didn't set them. Was late and I was happy to make it work. Will look more into it this evening. Funny tho I have a Timefactor and after an update it started behaving the same way. I ended up restoring from a backup I took at the time to make it work again, perhaps changing that setting in it ( if it exists) would fix it there as well

After an update it is wise (and recommended) to re-initialize the unit. My guess is that you did not. Apologies if I am wrong.

Hi, my name is Massimiliano Atlantei

I have a problem with my EVENTIDE SPACE Serial number SP-11102 software version 5.2.oc6d

(mint condition), never used outside my house and never used that much.

Today I took my pedalboard and connected to the amp, but there’s no sound coming out of the pedal.

The pedal has its own adapter and everything works as usual – display ok, knobs working and number on display

changing when turning them, patches changing as always – but no sound. 

I have a mono connection going from the end of the chain – last pedal is delay – to the amp. 

If I disconnect the adapter the sound is ok. 

I checked if killswitch is engaged and it is not. I tried to change the bypass mode but with both 3 options no way.

I also tried to connect the pedal to the effects loop of the amp but no sound.

Can you please help me?

Thank you.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Make sure that you are using Input 1 and Output 1 – my guess is that you are not.

If you are, set the unit to DSP bypass, and see if you get sound when not ACTIVE.

nickrose wrote:

Make sure that you are using Input 1 and Output 1 – my guess is that you are not.

If you are, set the unit to DSP bypass, and see if you get sound when not ACTIVE.

Hi, I already tried everything, but no solution. I finally managed to speak today with Eventide help Desk from Funky Junk Italy in Milano, explained them what is happening and I’m going to send them the Space stompbox tomorrow. 

dougyb2001
      Participant

Hello: Has this issue been identified. I also do not get the effect sounds when I engage the pedal. It will engage for a second then go away. I have tried new cables, inputs 1 and 2. Running guitar into pedal into amp. I tried updating to the recent firmware. Nothing. Please advise!

bsellon
      Participant

I resolved this on a PitchFactor pedal using the MIDI RCV CTL parameter but had to set it to something other than — or CC32; I was still getting the problem when — was selected.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.