No Effect Trails with MIDI Controller

Home Forums Products Stompboxes No Effect Trails with MIDI Controller

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      mustafaicil
      Participant

I am controlling my H9 with a Disaster Area MIDI controller. H9 is at DSP+FX mode. If I switch from present to preset or deactivate H9 using the buttons on it, the effects trails works fine as expected, but if I switch using the MIDI controller, the trails are cut off. How can I solve this?

mustafaicil
      Participant

Anyone?

camn
      Participant

what mode are you using to switch on the Disaster area controller?

What controller is it?

What troubleshooting steps have you undertaken?

camn
      Participant

Also- are you SURE that your tails spillover when you switch from one preset to the next using the button on the H9… ?

I’m not totally sure that exists. 

When bypassed, yes. When a new preset is loaded? I’m not sure.

gkellum
        Participant
        camn wrote:

Also- are you SURE that your tails spillover when you switch from one preset to the next using the button on the H9… ?

I'm not totally sure that exists. 

When bypassed, yes. When a new preset is loaded? I'm not sure.

That's a good catch camn. I overlooked that when I first read this post.  The H9 doesn't have spillover when switching from one preset to another preset.

mustafaicil
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

camn wrote:

I’m not totally sure that exists. 

When bypassed, yes. When a new preset is loaded? I’m not sure.

That’s a good catch camn. I overlooked that when I first read this post.  The H9 doesn’t have spillover when switching from one preset to another preset.

It does spill over. I tried it multiple times. Hit a note with the delay on and then change to the next preset using the Hotknob dial on H9, the delay repeats continue. Do the same with an external MIDI controller, delays are cut off. I am using DPC-5, but I think this is not related with which MIDI controller is being used. It is a behaviour of H9. Spill over works with the Hotknob dial but not with MIDI.

camn
      Participant

So- try not to take this the wrong way. I’m not trying to be snarky.

a) which MIDI controller would totally matter, if this were a real problem. Some use PC, some CC, some send ‘ACTIVATE ccs.. etc. 

Luckily yours really just does it one way- a PC message. 

But

b) I don’t think its real.. and Ill tell you why-  I think you are observing normal operation when switching presets- NO SPILLOVER. 

I think when you are switching using the KNOB (not the buttons, like in your OP)… there is a little delay before the preset actually switches… and you are hearing what you ~think~ is a tail.. but really the preset just hasnt switched yet. 

But you dont need to believe me- lets test:

Please check using the BUTTONS on the H9.. not the knob. See if you have spillover. Do us a favor… use a LONG delay with A LOT of decay… so you can really tell it is getting cut off.

THEN.. check with the knob. Try to note when the preset ACTUALLY switches, not when the Display switches.  (Note- This delay is so you can scroll from preset 1 to preset 50 by jog-wheeling there.. without hearing all the presets in between. It is normal)

Now- do you have spillover?

IF YOU DO.. THIS IS INCREDIBLE…And we need you to contact Eventide. They need to do a firmware dump on your particular H9 and figure out the code-mutation that makes this possible.. so we can ALL have it in a future update.  Please do this as soon as possible.. as this is a feature many, many people want.. but had been put on the ‘Impossible” list.

Please let us know what you find. 

mustafaicil
      Participant

After all these comments, I double checked the spillover behaviour. You are right. The spillover is not working if the preset change is done using the buttons, but when switching between presets using the Hotknob dial, there is a partial spillover. I set the feedback of the delays to 100% to check and 2-3 delay repeats continue after the preset change and then stops.

camn
      Participant

Yeah- there is just a delay ~before~ switching presets. 

If you try it the same way from a tremolo to a distortion you can hear it clearly. 

It’s too bad.. spillover would be cool. 

I will often structure my part-changes to use BYPASS tails… so I will btpass the H9 and go dry (well.. not dry haha ) for a measure or two before I bring in the next patch on the H9. It’s not optimal.. but it works.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.