Octavox …another feature request !

Home Forums Products Plug-Ins Octavox …another feature request !

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Krakatau
      Participant

First of all congrats for the release of such a gem !

I’ve opened earlier this morning a thread on kvraudio on the same topic, in where somebody advise me to introduce the case here :

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=456959

The fact is that, apart from the sophisticated so to say harmonizing mode, i’m mainly interested in the huge variety of the delayed or non-delayed microshift effects you can get with octavox

And on that respect i strongly regret the impossibilty to get the micro-pitch transposition inside the feeback loop, that would open again an enormous bunch of effects, expecially considering the overall quality and the precisions of both fine tuning ( steps 1/000 of semitones) and delay time (steps of 100 microseconds)

Of course, what looks obvious on the peculiar case is that it should work only whith pitch detection off, and without considering interactions between delay lines (i’m no developer, but i’d say potentially interesting but way to insane to implement in a usuable way as far as i can judge seriously !)

BTW, i’m yet on the creation of a collection of presets for octavox (exclusively on pitch detection off mode !) let me know if you might have any interest on this…

Krakatau
      Participant

Partially on topic, here a short example of sympathetic drones made with Octavox, working exclusively with short delay feedbacks : 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qihatb2tpd2wrb0/Drones%20in%20C%20Ionian%20mode.mp3?dl=0

The impro itself is bounded into the ionian mode of C scale, with a few dry/wet mix automation and a simple mastering process (Vintage Warmer 2, from PSP)

I must say i’m rather amazed on the sound quality and the short steps allow to find the ringing frequency very precisely (except perhaps whith a delay time shorter than 10 milliseconds on that purpose)

And this leads me to another feature request, but not necessarily on his unit : let say that in the case the C tone was targeted on 4 octaves : from 60.8 ms (for a fundamental ringing frequency under 20 hz !) to 7.6 ms with some smal difference into delay time that makes them shimmering one to another, so all the 8 delay lines where involved

I assume that a proper use of snapshots here can avoid a keyboard-controlled delay times to change , feature offered by a very few plugins on the market, like Ohmygod from Ohmforce, MFM2 fron U-he or Dronebox and Polycomb from Oli Larkin (though these last one shas been discontinued) but again the variety of possible sounds and nuances would be so huge …

…i’ve currently achieved among other categories, a entire sets of presets on that focus (drones in unissons for each note of an entire octave) and try to go deeper in this investigation targeting intervals, triads and chords, don’t know yet if a developer around kvraudio might be interested in selling them, so i just manage to talk about it here for an early answer on the question…

thanks in advance

Alexandre Borcic

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

Hi Alexandre-

First, thanks for the kind words! We're glad you're liking Octavox.

I'm guessing when you're referring to the feedback loop, you mean the "all-encompassing" loop for all eight voices, since there is feedback available for each individual voice? I certainly think this is a good idea, but at the moment we're swamped with a huge number of projects here. However, I'll log this here as a feature request, and we'll definitely consider implementing it when we have time.

As per your second request, it sounds like you want a way to control the delay times in each voice via a keyboard, is that correct? While that feature isn't available, as you mentioned you could set multiple 'Current Snapshots' on a particular preset to different delay times, and then automate the switch between presets to achieve the effect.

Thanks for the cool audio demo as well! We'd certainly like to see the collection of presets you're working on if you'd like to share.

Best,

Tom

ericzang
      Participant

great sympathetic drone example! will like to explore that approach also.

Krakatau
      Participant

tlongabaugh wrote:

I’m guessing when you’re referring to the feedback loop, you mean the “all-encompassing” loop for all eight voices, since there is feedback available for each individual voice? I certainly think this is a good idea, but at the moment we’re swamped with a huge number of projects here. However, I’ll log this here as a feature request, and we’ll definitely consider implementing it when we have time.

I was thinking in fact of the 8 individual voices as an overall (eventually individual) option at the moment the pitch detection mode would have been disabled, both features would very likely become conflictual 

With the overall quality and accuracy of this effect unit it promises to give to creative sound designers the opportunity to build some stunning effects

But if i’m honest i’m perhaps asking too much though : I assume it might me a tough challenge to combine simultaneously delay lines keeping on being accurate with tempo synchronization AND a pitch shift effect into feedback loop that won’t create noticeable glitches even with highest feedback level !

tlongabaugh wrote:

As per your second request, it sounds like you want a way to control the delay times in each voice via a keyboard, is that correct? 

Exactly, the purpose being to transpose a ringing frequency half-step by half-step, in accurate correlation with a given harmony, (approaching the modelisation of sympathetic strings, as far as I can figure out how a Karpus-Strong model behaves !)

Then if you allow me, there would options similar to synthesizers like monophonic or polyphonic transposition, portamento, vibrat, etc…as i imagine such a case it would likely deserves a dedicated plugin in where other associated audio effects would mainly become cosmetic options to rehearse the sympathetic drones/resonances

To demonstrate  that statement, i manage to create a few more short demos using (almost) the same midi files, with a few adjustment depending the source instrument , the only major difference is that the effect chains are now on a send/return loop : 

1st two instance of Octavox : the Drones + A Chorus/ensemble preset, on a Rhodes e-piano  (AAS Lounge Lizard ) 

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/content_link/lt6w5RYoVmtQVWoBIoQHq7BJDUpktcaLYLxzZLKVj1Ft2HAYVjWzUNk7laQrGw9q/file

2nd : Octavox drones + Plug N’ Mix Granulizer. on a  Vibraphone (Moddart Pianoteq addon)

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/content_link/2H3b3SgZDgCERwqmmVcsHEakZeyooTHz939l977bUYCv3PCWvC3Cz5DGJSHYGpx3/file

3rd : Octavox drones + Logic Pro Phazer, on a Cimbalom (Moddart Pianoteq addon)

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/content_link/SP20fNgtavFlxoFwbevar9B9Ml4DT7WIGdsZaeBDiMPHF9F7Go9RvUbVTxTsGxwb/file

4th : Octavox drones + Soundhack ++Pitch Delay, on a Concert Harp (Moddart Pianoteq addon)

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/content_link/CHwNyUjBTRQfHuMZD8s83ZNJ0GgUf3UoHgE24H21QUA2XG5erpGhZVrI3ku5f6J2/file

5th : Octavox drones + Logic pro Rotor Cabinet, on a Hand drum (Moddart Pianoteq addon)

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/content_link/pFCmSRpBbFpVjMmNecbg2ElvC8dXg8zhil4PJFeqpbNnnCi9LlkUd6iXtcYR5W94/file

tlongabaugh wrote:

While that feature isn’t available, as you mentioned you could set multiple ‘Current Snapshots’ on a particular preset to different delay times, and then automate the switch between presets to achieve the effect.

True undoubtely true,…

As far as i could experience the case, a limited numbers of snapshots/presets would match all needs in most cases even working on complex compositions, using many harmony translation , in the case of a single ringing frequency, (as these 8 delay lines with slight differences in delay times shown in the demos) it does not necessarily need to match only the fundamental note of a major scale to induce musical harmonies 

on that respect the only features that might be useful are the ones that helps for musician transition between snapshot like glide/crossfade between them and fades in of added delay lines/fades out of disconnected ones from one to another snapshot 

tlongabaugh wrote:

We’d certainly like to see the collection of presets you’re working on if you’d like to share.

Well, if you’re encouraging me there is an early achieved section of the entire set, (this one dedicated to unisson drones on the entire palette on chromatic half-steps)

but i’m afraid i’ll need an email adress that accept zip files as attached files, this forum does not allow that format !

I’ve also managed on a similar directory to create a set of so to say« rising delays » similar to a reverse reverb effect at some degree and tempo synced, and a few more other focus, i expect for the drones, to explore all variations a set of 8 delay lines can offer (intervals, triad, chords, etc…until entire diatonic scales !) 

A long work to come…

I’ll be glad to have your impressions once you’ll get it !

Alexandre Borcic (Krakatau on kvraudio and other vst forums and alike)

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

Alexandre-

Thanks for the clarification on my questions, it is much appreciated. As you touched on briefly, a lot of these requests (with the exception of micro pitch in the main feedback loop), would require a fair bit of work both in DSP and in the GUI layout, and as such might bloat the plug-in a bit. I think generating and controlling ringing modes might be a cool separate product, or something we expand on in the future, but of course I can't make any promises 🙂

Unfortunately, the links you posted for the audio clips don't appear to work (I'm guessing the aren't set publicly on dropbox).

Feel free to send the zip of presets to tlongabaugh@eventide.com

Best,

Tom

Krakatau
      Participant

too bad that the link doesn’t work, i’ll need to get a website domain in the future on such purpose, sorry…

…nevertheless , here the involved octavox presets (in C) that was involved 

Krakatau
      Participant

Here a Preset made for Black Hole with the qualities and defects of this plugin compared to Octavox for exactly the same purpose : a C Ionian drone

You don’t have the subtleties of octavox with the unisson of parrallel delay lines having differences of 1/10 of milliseconds, but the ribbon controlled effet give undoubtely a great plus for real time variations, for instance 

Enjoy and have fun !

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

Thanks Krakatau!

Krakatau
      Participant

Youre welcome… by investigating the few others plugin i’ve purchased from your company, i realise that all of them can do some interestings drones with each, their own colour

For instance :

– Ultrareverb has a lot of possible variations by combining delay lines as drones, conventional reverbs and it modulation, the bunch of EQ controls at each stages and the compressor, the drones staying mainly before the reverb in the process chain

Ultrachannel with the possibility to include another effet of the channel strip inside the feedback loop

Band delays has, apart from the chromatically controlled filters, some effective modulation possibilities

etc… So very early this morning i managed to create similar drones with each of these plugins, alwas on the same purpose to be played as sympathetic resonances on C ionian mode

It should possible, as i did for Octavox, to fill the entire chromatic scales with it dedicated drones and a few variations (especially the reverb unit), …except for blackhole because the tuning is purely done in an intuitive way and the delay time increment is less detailed than the other products

I hope its not getting like invading this topic, but i though it made sense to show that it is posisble to dedicated all these plugins as sympathetic drones, in unisson at the least, in intervals at the best (not shown here yet) …all the interest was to adjust the other unit inside the process chain before or after these drones for modulations and variations at they all offer as you might experience if you wish, many possible nuances for a same effect

Just enjoy !

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.