Omnipressor algo for H9

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Omnipressor algo for H9

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      dedeman

I would be really happy to see this year an Omnipressor version for H9 with some (noise)gating flavor added to it. HAPPY! HAPPY!

javiceres
      Participant
      dedeman wrote:

I would be really happy to see this year an Omnipressor version for H9 with some (noise)gating flavor added to it. HAPPY! HAPPY!

The fact that the dynamic Reverb (SpAce algo) runs a stereo reverb + stereo Omnipressor, is proof that a dedicated Omnipressor effect leaves a lot of room for other fx to go with it. Even delay + pitch-shifting, or dynamic modulation/filtering, tape/transformer saturation fx… Come to think about it that’s a bit like Entides own Ultrachannel plugin, wich is really good sounding and flexible, specially given the feedback insert options…

brock
      Participant

Have you tried the DynaVerb algorithm?  Turn the reverb’s DECAY below 0.1 S, and it changes to OMNPR MODE. Move MIX to 100%, and there’s extensive control over compression, limiting, ‘dynamic reversal’, expansion, and gating.  ATTACK and RELEASE can shape the gate, milder expansion ratios, or even Slow Gear / ADSR-type FX.

Sculpt, Crushstation [EQ Compressor] do a decent job of auto-gain-style compression, with built-in noise gating. Not too configurable, though.  DynaVerb-as-an-Omnipressor is an amazing effect, with or without the reverb component in the mix.  I believe that the parameter ranges may be wider than the original.

dedeman

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will try DynaVerb. I wasn’t so much aware of it’s potential as a compressor. I never try it but the title was lead me to think that is more a reverb algo with some dynamic control. Surely Eventide algo are complex and well thaught. Probably Eventide should elaborate more on HOW to use their sonic tools, to help us, the not so experienced users, view these tools in more creative way. Let’s face it, most of us just tweak knobs semi-blindly, in the hope to discover the “perfect sound”. Yet we don’t know exactly where to look for it, unless is explicit. Thanks again for your suggestions.

brock
      Participant

Here are a few presets to get you started:  a fast, abrupt gate, a rounder gating action, and a Slow Gear-type effect.  Like any compressor, the THRESHOLD setting is critical.  It needs to be carefully adjusted to your input / playing technique, and it is interactive with the rest of the main compression parameters.

The reverb section isn’t used anywhere here.  MIX settings less than 100% lend themselves to parallel compression effects.  Of course, the distortion algorithms and EQ Compressor can take over the ‘workhorse’ compression chores – in a ‘program dependent’ manner.  Just drop out (or minimize) the drive components.

dedeman

I have tried DynaVerb today on the Omnipres side and it’s better to have this control over compression, rather than one knob only on the EQ/Compressor. Thank you!

javiceres
        Participant
        dedeman wrote:

I have tried DynaVerb today on the Omnipres side and it’s better to have this control over compression, rather than one knob only on the EQ/Compressor. Thank you!

DynaVerb is a mighty algorithm.
        The Omnipressor mode alone is fantastic…

dedeman

As for Crushstation & Sculpt, their dynamic processing is so limited that is not useful for this sole porpuse alone. In these algo’s context they are fine, but otherwise not usable as stand alone; beside the sound processing color they introduce…

mhaddock
      Participant

I’m totally confused by the Threshold control. I’d love to use this as a traditional compressor but with control over the attack and release. It’s really difficult to understand what’s going on though.

I figured out the Omni-ratio knob, I think, just had to remember math 4.0 = 4:1

Attack and Release seem self explanatory

Threshold is baffling though. On a traditional compressor it would simply set a threshold under which the compressor would not engage.

This threshold is maybe? doing that, but turn it up too high and it gates the signal suddenly. Not sure why you would ever want it to do that. I’ll always be worried that if I hit that string just a little too hard, the exact opposite of what I’m going for will happen – my crescendo will drop off a cliff. Can someone explain in more detail what this control is doing and how it interacts with the other controls?

A visual indication of when and how strongly the compression effect was being applied would be so helpful here. If Omnipressor were a standalone algorithm for H9 you could use that nifty LED ring to show the amount of compression.

So another vote for making Omnipressor a stand alone algorithm. Or add attack/release controls to the compressor in EQ/Compressor, still a visual indicator of compression would be super helpful.

Nitrofunk
        Participant

Bringing back an old thread to life: I have the exact same problem with the Omnipressor on my H90 that mhaddock has. I have to set the Threshold very low so that it does anything (-48db with my passive P-Bass), and above that it squishes my signal very aprubtly – even with a moderate ratio of 3:1, for example. Anyone had success with the omnipressor?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.