One 3-button switch, Two H9s

Home Forums Products Stompboxes One 3-button switch, Two H9s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      JES
      Participant

I have a 3-button aux switch plugged into H9#1.  Left is performance switch, middle is tuner.  

H9#1 MIDI out goes to H9#2.  What I’d like to do is have the right aux switch activate the performance switch on H9 via MIDI.  But I don’t see “send MIDI CC” or similar as an option in H9 control.

Is there a clever way to do this?

TIA

camn
      Participant

I don’t know a clever way. 

BUT- making that 3 button switch a MIDI switch would let you accomplish it. And cost, maybe $15 in parts? If you are good with stuff. 

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      JES wrote:

I have a 3-button aux switch plugged into H9#1.  Left is performance switch, middle is tuner.  

H9#1 MIDI out goes to H9#2.  What I'd like to do is have the right aux switch activate the performance switch on H9 via MIDI.  But I don't see "send MIDI CC" or similar as an option in H9 control. Is there a clever way to do this?

This is doable. Not in H9 Control but in the pedal's settings menu, which can be entered by pressing and holding the right footswitch and the HOTKNOB button:

MIDI -> XMT CC -> TIP.xxx / RNG.xxx / T+R.xxx. You can set the MIDI CC messages of these 3 aux switches there.

camn
      Participant

That IS hot

JES
      Participant

Thanks for the volume tip.  Works perfectly and is very useful.

I think I’m doing something wrong on my pedal programming with the footswitch.

H9A is set to receive on channel 1, transmit on channel 2, MIDI merge so that program changes from another pedal will come through

H9B is set to receive on channel 2, transmit on channel 1, MIDI merge so that program changes from another pedal will come through.

I followed these directions and set the CC for the ring button to CC16, which is set to “hot switch” on both pedals.

I also set the ring to decrement preset on the “home” pedal so that I know it’s working.

I used one MIDI cable, so the output of one pedal is going into the input of the other.  I’ve tried H9B into H9A and vice-versa.  I get no response on the other pedal, but the preset is going down.  What am I missing?

Thanks.

camn
      Participant

Can you hook the midi output to a computer and see what it is sending?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Are you sure [CTRL.XMT] in the MIDI system settings of the master H9 is set to ON?

JES
      Participant

Thanks.  Yes, it is on.  I can hook it up to my computer but that’s a bit of a hassle so won’t happen tonight.

JES
      Participant

Did that.  No luck.  But also: I need merge because I’ve got another controller sending program changes.  I’m guessing there’s some other random (to me) setting somewhere that’s the problem.  The receiving H9 I just bought and reinitialized before setting up, so it started with default settings.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Do you still have any mappings programmed in the [AUX SW] system settings. I made sure to erase any ties to the aux switch there.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

And just to double check, are you 100% sure the right aux switch you’re trying to program for H9B is the right tip? Maybe you’re programming Ring when it aught to be T+R.

Also, on H9A, whatever # you assign for TIP, RING, or T+R in [XMT CC] of MIDI system settings has to correspond to H9B’s [RCV.CTL] CC#.

For example, if on H9A’s [XMT CC] TIP is set to CC#90, then H9B’s [RCV.CTL] PSW should assigned to CC#90 as well for the Tip switch connected H9A to control the Hotswitch on H9B using this MIDI capability.

camn
      Participant

Honestly hook up your output and see what is being transmitted. 

If it is as expected, your receiving H9 needs love. If it is NOT, you chase down the transmission side.

JES
      Participant

Amazing!  Thank you!  This is such a better solution than a MIDI pedal.  Thanks for making something that works so well on its own, as well as through the app.

While I have you, one other question.  Is there a way to set the volume for a single preset on the pedal itself?  I find sometimes I get to my practice space and I need it to be 1-2db louder or quieter, and it would save me whipping out the phone, connecting, etc if I could just reach down and do it on the pedal.

bohan wrote:

JES wrote:

H9#1 MIDI out goes to H9#2.  What I’d like to do is have the right aux switch activate the performance switch on H9 via MIDI.  But I don’t see “send MIDI CC” or similar as an option in H9 control. Is there a clever way to do this?

This is doable. Not in H9 Control but in the pedal’s settings menu, which can be entered by pressing and holding the right footswitch and the HOTKNOB button:

MIDI -> XMT CC -> TIP.xxx / RNG.xxx / T+R.xxx. You can set the MIDI CC messages of these 3 aux switches there.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      JES wrote:

Amazing!  Thank you!  This is such a better solution than a MIDI pedal.  Thanks for making something that works so well on its own, as well as through the app.

While I have you, one other question.  Is there a way to set the volume for a single preset on the pedal itself?  I find sometimes I get to my practice space and I need it to be 1-2db louder or quieter, and it would save me whipping out the phone, connecting, etc if I could just reach down and do it on the pedal.

Yes. It can be done easily in H9 Control. See attached.

On the pedal itself, you can press and hold the Active footswitch, and turn the black encoder to adjust the output level. Remember to save the preset to save your change.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      JES wrote:
      I followed these directions and set the CC for the ring button to CC16, which is set to “hot switch” on both pedals.

I also set the ring to decrement preset on the “home” pedal so that I know it’s working.

If I read this correctly, you have a double assignment of the Ring switch. Maybe that’s interfering?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      JES wrote:
      H9A is set to receive on channel 1, transmit on channel 2, MIDI merge so that program changes from another pedal will come through

H9B is set to receive on channel 2, transmit on channel 1, MIDI merge so that program changes from another pedal will come through.

I have this working on two H9’s right now, but my MIDI OUPUT setting is set to XMT, not MERGE. Try setting to XMT only.

JES
      Participant
      joecozzi wrote:
      JES wrote:

If I read this correctly, you have a double assignment of the Ring switch. Maybe that’s interfering?

yes.  I turned it off.  Still no love.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.