One ModFactor for both mag and piezo pickups

Home Forums Products Stompboxes One ModFactor for both mag and piezo pickups

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Zplant

Hi,

Here's the situation: I play Parker Fly
      Deluxe with piezo pickup and would like to use ModFactor to process both signals
      from the guitar. Here's how i think it can be:

Magnetic pickups – > preamp – > ModFactor
      input 1 -> output 1-> Poweramp/Combo

Piezo pickup – > ModFactor input 2 -> output
      2 -> Mixing board/Acoustic guitar Combo

Ideally, i would like ModFactor to work as a 'dual
      mono' device, i.e. to have ONLY mag pickups signal at the output 1 and ONLY
      piezo pickup signal at the output 2. Is this possible? If not, can i modify the
      effects settigs so that the two signals did not mix at the outputs (i.e. no
      sound from mag pickups would go to the output 2 and no sound from piezo pickups
      – to output 1)?
      achaput

ModFactor operates in true (discreet) stereo when both inputs and both outputs are plugged in, so you should have no problem doing what you described. 

-Alan

goldglob

As achaput says, modfactor has the capability of true (discreet) stereo (what goes in comes out), but I suspect that this applies necessarily to only the dry (un-processed) component of the mix. For example, if you input a stereo delay, that stereo image will be retained along with any processing (this is one of the features that attracted me to this box). However, it is possible and likely that for at least some of the effects, the left and right inputs are combined for processing, and of course, that processed sound can (or not) be given it's own stereo image (Xnob). I'm not absolutely sure about all this but would not be surprised if both your piezo and magnetic turned up in both outputs when applying effects. Your question is interesting, and time permitting, I might get around to testing all this in a logical way.

Best regards to all.

Zplant

I'd be happy if you test the device by connecting both inputs and outputs, turning the effect on and playing with signal fed only into input 1 and then only input 2 and listening what you get at the output(s).

Thanks in advance

goldglob

Zplant:

I'd be happy if you test the device by connecting both inputs and outputs, turning the effect on and playing with signal fed only into input 1 and then only input 2 and listening what you get at the output(s).

Thanks in advance

OK, have tested all this and the results confirm my previous predictions.

In bypass mode, input 1 goes only to output 1, and input 2 goes only to output 2.

Chorus, Phaser (set to Bi Phase type), Flanger, Rotary,  and Undulator combine inputs for processing and so you hear both inputs at each output.

Phaser (set to Negetive or Positive or Feedback type), Q Wah, Mod Filter, Vibrato and Ring Mod process left and right disceetly and so you hear just input 1 at output 1 and input 2 at output 2.

Trem/Pan processes just input 1, but sends the signal to outputs 1 and 2.

Note that the Xnob Stereo Spread settings don't change the actual routing and therefore have no bearing on your scenario.

So, different effects have different routings, and what you want is possible with some of them, but I would find this sort of messy incompleteness unsatisfactory.

I don't know of course what your stage / studio / lugging requirements and limitations are, but if I had a magnetic/piezo guitar I would send the magnetic through it's own chain (including compressor, overdrive, EQ, stereo delay, modfactor) into two amps to take advantage of the gorgeous stereo that modfactor is capable of, and send the piezo through it's own chain to a dedicated acoustic amp to add acoustic timbre. If I wanted a PA send to reflect my overall sound but did not want to lug mountains of gear around I would just send a magnetic/piezo blend to my onstage amp and DI to the PA.

Regards.

Zplant

goldglob,

Thanks a lot for your response! Now I have a better understanding of how ModFactor works. Also it might be a good idea for Eventide to update the manual with this information.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.