Option to up/down presets with the H9 footswitches

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Option to up/down presets with the H9 footswitches

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #112357
      Heinrich
      Member

      Hi,

      I know this has been discussed before, and once there was this option available if my memory serves me right. Also found an unanswered question like mine on the forum so I am bringing this up again:

      I bought the H9 also to save some pedal real estate. Now I need to buy an extra footswitch?

      Why is it not possible to at least have the OPTION to use the H9 footswitches to go up (right footswitch) or down (left footswitch) the presets of the H9. This option in the set up would be definitely a welcome improvement. Holding the right footswitch would be for tap tempo – as usual.

      Can we have this in the next firmware, please?

      Or am I missing something and it is possible to do?

      thanks and all the best,

      Heinrich

    • #127558
      LA Keys
      Participant

      From the manual, p.:7

      "The Right Footswitch is used to step up or down through the Presets or to tap tempo. Press and hold the Right Footswitch to toggle between these two functions. The Tap LED indicates the current function – Preset cueing: Tap LED OFF, Tap: Tap LED ON.
      Using the Right Footswitch to Cue Presets
      With the Tap LED OFF, press the Right Footswitch to step up (increment) or step down (decrement) through the Presets. The direction is changed by pressing the Knob. The display will show the Preset Number and the first 4 characters of the Preset Name [##.XXXX]. When a Preset is cued the Preset number flashes. Pressing the Left Footswitch loads the cued Preset and makes it Active.
      "

      Hope this help!

      LA

    • #138326
      Heinrich
      Member

      thanks for your post, LA.

      Let me clarify: I know this process, have been reading the manual up and down – before I even bought this device, that´s a habit of mine.

      I wanted the option to go up and down the presets with ONE push of a button – no confirming with the left footswitch, no extra button push to change directions up/down – this is not convenient live on stage!

      Instead there should be an option in the set up  to increment the preset with the right footswitch of the H9 and the preset is loaded immediately (no pending status + extra confirmation) – and decrement with the left footswitch likewise. This is vital for live use – I hate how it´s done now, and I do not want to buy another footswitch to execute this simple action and loose more space on my pedalboard.

      I am sure others will be happy as well when this option is implemented in the next firmware. If there is a workaround, please let me know.

      best,

      Heinrich

    • #138328
      Bodde
      Participant

      Heinrich:

      I wanted the option to go up and down the presets with ONE push of a button – no confirming with the left footswitch, no extra button push to change directions up/down – this is not convenient live on stage!

      Instead there should be an option in the set up  to increment the preset with the right footswitch of the H9 and the preset is loaded immediately (no pending status + extra confirmation)

      Totally agree with you. I never understood why there needs to be a conformation. All other gear I have had didn't have that. If you need quick preset changes that's inconvenient.

    • #127559
      LA Keys
      Participant

      While I use my H9s with keyboards and doesn't mind having extra pedals I see how important this could be for guitar player, especially for live gig.

      There's really 2 distincts "request" here:

      #1: Being able to make a preset effective immediately after you change it, without having to confirm with the left switch

      This is most probably very easy to do since this is how it work now when you use the big knob to change presets. I believe an option in the software could "easily" be added by Eventide programmer for that.

      #2: Being able to use the left switch do go down on the preset list.

      Well, this is where we should be careful about what we ask. The first thing is that this will also force the preset to be activated immediately, which you also asked, because the left switch will now have a new function… This should be ok so far…

      The biggest problem is that now the left switch could not be used to activate/deactivate the effect anymore, or certainly not with a simple push.

      I'm pretty sure most will also want to activate/deactivate the H9 somehow. This is the real problem behind that request. There are a few ways to do this I could think about, but because the H9 have only 2 buttons there's limited options I could see:

      – 1: Activate/Deactivate by pressing both swithes at the same time

      – 2: Use an external (Aux) switch. This is already possible with the software.

      What do you think about this?

      LA

    • #138336
      g.lolo3
      Participant

      +1 for this option!!!

      I had begun a thread about it some months ago without any success…

      When you have to change preset fast it would so much more convenient. For now I have to think about it before and prepare the change. That can disturb me in my playing.

      About the "left switch/bypass" issue I guess one can accept that the H9 will be always active in this mode and make a patch with full dry for "bypass like".

    • #138337
      Bodde
      Participant

      LA Keys:

      I'm pretty sure most will also want to activate/deactivate the H9 somehow. This is the real problem behind that request. There are a few ways to do this I could think about, but because the H9 have only 2 buttons there's limited options I could see:

      – 1: Activate/Deactivate by pressing both swithes at the same time

      Really hope the left foot switch stays exactly as it is. I need that deactivate button. I Use this a lot and I think most people do. Pressing both switches at the same time is awkward and not practical.

      Hopefully a next generation H9 has three buttons so there is no need for an AUX switch

    • #138354
      g.lolo3
      Participant

      As written previously this behavior should (will I hope) be an option. So that if you prefer the current mode you can still have it. I agree the current mode is usefull in some situations. 

      However I have the issue yesterday during a gig.I have to change sound quickly during a chorus and didn't remember that the H9 was in "decrement" mode. I spend the half of the chorus in tap dancing trying to reset the correct preset!!! As a side request it would be great if there was an indicator of the current "increment/decrement" mode of the H9.

    • #138362
      g.lolo3
      Participant

      Can we have a answer from Eventide staff to know if there will be this feature in a future release?

    • #138369
      LA Keys
      Participant

      Ok,

      This would make sense to me to have those 2 options:

      Option A:  Same as it is now.

      Option B: Left switch decrement preset, Right switch increment presets. Then, maybe, both switches at the same time to activate/deactivate.

      Do you like this?

      (Need more supporter here!) Devil

      LA

    • #138371
      Bodde
      Participant

      LA Keys:

      Ok,

      This would make sense to me to have those 2 options:

      Option A:  Same as it is now.

      Option B: Left switch decrement preset, Right switch increment presets. Then, maybe, both switches at the same time to activate/deactivate.

      Do you like this?

      No! Smile

      Deactive/bypass is the most important feature for me and should be the easiest accessible of all. So pressing two switches at the same time is very inconvenient and doesn't work on stage.

    • #138377
      LA Keys
      Participant

      bodde:

      No! Smile

      Deactive/bypass is the most important feature for me and should be the easiest accessible of all.

      YES! That's why I'm suggesting 2 "options". Which really mean that BOTH should be available as a setting via the software. The first one is EXACTLY as it is now, the second one is for guys who want to be able to use UP/Down with left/right switches.

      You will then be able to choose which way you want to use the H9, via the software.

      Sorry for the confusion, I should have said "settings" instead of "options"

      LA

    • #138397
      wedelich
      Moderator
      Eventide Staff

      Hi guys, 

      I just want to point out a few trade-offs with the up and down preset with auto-load setting/option you are all suggesting that no one here seem to be mentioning: 

      1. You loose the ability to tap tempo on the footswitches. We use press-and-hold of the Right Footswitch to go b/t preset and tap mode.  With the proposed option, as soon as you try to press and hold to go to tap mode, you increment and auto-load the next preset.

      2. You could loose the ability to go to the tuner, or at least the loading would happen slower.  We currently use press and hold of the two footswitches to load the tuner.  So for fast preset loading, if you wanted to go to the tuner, you would accidentally auto-load a preset (depending on which switch you stepped on first).  The alternative to this would be to always wait a fraction of a second after a footswitch press to be sure we're not press-and-holding, but then your preset loading would be always be delayed by that fraction of a second.  (I suppose this applies to 1. above as well). 

      3.  Even using pressing both footswitches for active / bypass (in lieu of no tuner) would mean you would take a hit on loading time b/c we need some slop to account for difference in the times that the footswitches actually get pressed.  

      4. You loose the press-and-hold output gain / input gain adjustment for similar reasons as stated above in 1. and 2. 

      So……basically what it comes down to, is you loose all press-and-hold functionality (and even active / bypass really), unless you are willing to take a hit on the preset loading time.  Anyway, I'm not saying we wouldn't ever consider adding an option, but I just wanted to be sure that everyone one on all sides was thinking thoroughly about it.  

      • #146185
        mikeystrat
        Member

        I know this is an old thread but I’m a new buyer and I’m pretty bummed out it works this way. I’m singing. It’s hard enough to hit one switch three times in a song. Six switches to accomplish this makes the pedal unusable for me. I was willing to arrange patches in a linear fashion but an extra “loading” switch is out of the question. I gave it the old college try and attempted to cue the patch and load at the proper time and cue the next patch,  but honestly, I don’t want to think that much. And it’s frustrating when I mess it up. 

        I’m in the same boat as others and bought the pedal hoping to free up some space but because it works this way, it’s just another pedal. I never use the tap tempo, I’ve got that set in patches. I tune at the start of a set and very rarely need to during a set. And if I do, I’ve got a clip on. 

        I did quite a bit of research before buying the pedal but I missed this. I’ve owned tons of patch based effects and multi-effects and none of them worked this way. I’m kicking myself because with the 500 bucks I spent I could have bough 5 decent pedals that would do what I need them to do. I fail to see why a performance mode that disables tap and tuning and allows working musicians the option to use the pedal in an effecient manner isn’t available. I’ve read there are no plans for this. So I guess I’ll sell it. Too bad, it sounds really good once get passed the ridiculous presets. Oh well. 

         

        wedelich wrote:
         

        Hi guys, 

        I just want to point out a few trade-offs with the up and down preset with auto-load setting/option you are all suggesting that no one here seem to be mentioning: 

        1. You loose the ability to tap tempo on the footswitches. We use press-and-hold of the Right Footswitch to go b/t preset and tap mode.  With the proposed option, as soon as you try to press and hold to go to tap mode, you increment and auto-load the next preset.

        Show More...

        2. You could loose the ability to go to the tuner, or at least the loading would happen slower.  We currently use press and hold of the two footswitches to load the tuner.  So for fast preset loading, if you wanted to go to the tuner, you would accidentally auto-load a preset (depending on which switch you stepped on first).  The alternative to this would be to always wait a fraction of a second after a footswitch press to be sure we’re not press-and-holding, but then your preset loading would be always be delayed by that fraction of a second.  (I suppose this applies to 1. above as well). 

        3.  Even using pressing both footswitches for active / bypass (in lieu of no tuner) would mean you would take a hit on loading time b/c we need some slop to account for difference in the times that the footswitches actually get pressed.  

        4. You loose the press-and-hold output gain / input gain adjustment for similar reasons as stated above in 1. and 2. 

        So……basically what it comes down to, is you loose all press-and-hold functionality (and even active / bypass really), unless you are willing to take a hit on the preset loading time.  Anyway, I’m not saying we wouldn’t ever consider adding an option, but I just wanted to be sure that everyone one on all sides was thinking thoroughly about it.  

        Show Less...
      • #146194
        wedelich
        Moderator
        Eventide Staff
        mikeystrat wrote:

        I know this is an old thread but I'm a new buyer and I'm pretty bummed out it works this way. I'm singing. It's hard enough to hit one switch three times in a song. Six switches to accomplish this makes the pedal unusable for me. I was willing to arrange patches in a linear fashion but an extra "loading" switch is out of the question. I gave it the old college try and attempted to cue the patch and load at the proper time and cue the next patch,  but honestly, I don't want to think that much. And it's frustrating when I mess it up. 

        I'm in the same boat as others and bought the pedal hoping to free up some space but because it works this way, it's just another pedal. I never use the tap tempo, I've got that set in patches. I tune at the start of a set and very rarely need to during a set. And if I do, I've got a clip on. 

        I did quite a bit of research before buying the pedal but I missed this. I've owned tons of patch based effects and multi-effects and none of them worked this way. I'm kicking myself because with the 500 bucks I spent I could have bough 5 decent pedals that would do what I need them to do. I fail to see why a performance mode that disables tap and tuning and allows working musicians the option to use the pedal in an effecient manner isn't available. I've read there are no plans for this. So I guess I'll sell it. Too bad, it sounds really good once get passed the ridiculous presets. Oh well. 

        Hi mikeystrat, 

        First off, 6 switches, are you talking about H9 or one of the factor pedals or Space?  

        Also, did you read all the above about the double aux switch our friends at Barn3 made (attaches to the bottom of the H9 or factor pedals). AND the ability to increment and decrement WITH autoload on auxswitches?  The Barn3 product is a great solution to keeping a small pedal board footprint.  You'll only have to hit one switch to load a preset using this combination.  

        Show More...

        Everyone uses these boxes in their own way, so we tried to come up the best compromise but still allow for other options using aux switches, etc.  And we're lucky and grateful the smart guys at Barn3 came up with such a great aux switch solution.  So, we can't make everyone happy, but we do endeavor to the make the boxes fun and usable for the majority of our customers.  

        Show Less...
    • #138405
      g.lolo3
      Participant

      Thanks for your answer. Personnaly I don't mind loosing In/Out levels and Tap Tempo feature for this mode. The tuner is a bit more boring but I can live with. I have no time to tune during a chorus Wink . But often I need quick preset change without tap dancing that disturb me in my playing. If needed I can eventually press button(s) by hand between to songs to retune…

      As a side question what about an indicator (let say X and Z leds that I think are unused in the "preset change mode") in the current mode to tell in which way presets will change? That would avoid some mistakes on stage.

    • #138408
      Grigg Haws
      Member

      I struggled with the same thing. No autoload on the buttons/footswitches.

      I bought a Digitech FS 3x  and a longish TRS cable. 

      Now I can mount the H-9 where ever I want on my board and just leave the FS3x on one side or the other on the floor.  And the FS3X will auto load. one of the options is increment or De increment on the buttons, and autoload or just up and down then confirm.  I am used to not having the confirm function myself and was elated to find this,  Then I have the other button on the FS3x as the tap tempo. 

      I'm pretty happy at this point,   My other option was going to be to attach a piece of stiff foam to the large button/wheel and use it to access it with my foot.    I hope this helps

      • #144048
        fuzzfizz
        Member
        Grigg Haws wrote:

        I struggled with the same thing. No autoload on the buttons/footswitches.

        I bought a Digitech FS 3x  and a longish TRS cable. 

        Now I can mount the H-9 where ever I want on my board and just leave the FS3x on one side or the other on the floor.  And the FS3X will auto load. one of the options is increment or De increment on the buttons, and autoload or just up and down then confirm.  I am used to not having the confirm function myself and was elated to find this,  Then I have the other button on the FS3x as the tap tempo. 

        I’m pretty happy at this point,   My other option was going to be to attach a piece of stiff foam to the large button/wheel and use it to access it with my foot.    I hope this helps

         

        I am having the same issue, I can’t stand having to hit the active button after scrolling to a preset. I bought the Barn3 OX9, which works great, but you still have to hit the damn active switch, and in the middle of a song, this can make or brake a transition.

        Show More...

        How do you set the FS 3x to autoload, is it a setting in the H9, or the FS 3x, or is it the default? 

        Show Less...
      • #144050
        gkellum
        Member
        Fuzzfizz wrote:

        I am having the same issue, I can't stand having to hit the active button after scrolling to a preset. I bought the Barn3 OX9, which works great, but you still have to hit the damn active switch, and in the middle of a song, this can make or brake a transition.

        I think you misunderstood what he wrote above.  You assign a particular aux switch to a pedal function.  This works the same regardless if it's a Barn3 OX9, an FSX3 or any other aux switch.  There is a pedal function called 'Increment preset' which leaves the preset in a pending state, but there is also a pedal function called 'Increment and load preset' which immediately loads the preset.  If this is the behavior you want you just have to choose this as the pedal function.  In H9 Control you find these mappings by clicking on the Pedal button in the bottom menubar and going to Aux Switch Mapping.  You can change these settings on the H9 as well.  Please check the H9 manual for instructions on how to do that.

      • #144051
        fuzzfizz
        Member
        gkellum wrote:
        Fuzzfizz wrote:

        I am having the same issue, I can't stand having to hit the active button after scrolling to a preset. I bought the Barn3 OX9, which works great, but you still have to hit the damn active switch, and in the middle of a song, this can make or brake a transition.

        I think you misunderstood what he wrote above.  You assign a particular aux switch to a pedal function.  This works the same regardless if it's a Barn3 OX9, an FSX3 or any other aux switch.  There is a pedal function called 'Increment preset' which leaves the preset in a pending state, but there is also a pedal function called 'Increment and load preset' which immediately loads the preset.  If this is the behavior you want you just have to choose this as the pedal function.  In H9 Control you find these mappings by clicking on the Pedal button in the bottom menubar and going to Aux Switch Mapping.  You can change these settings on the H9 as well.  Please check the H9 manual for instructions on how to do that.

        Nope, I understood perfectly. Thanks, I stumbled onto exactly what you said while googling, and it worked perfectly!

    • #127594
      td2243
      Member

      I definitely agree. The option to have Left – Up, and Right – Down (or vice versa) would be great. Maybe use the knob as the activate/bypass. 

      I have never used tap tempo in my life, so I don't care about  losing that.  Why would we lose the hold functionality anyway to choosing this method? I don't get it.  What was the reasoning behind the design of pressing the hotknob to change direction of the right switch?

      What about this for a happy medium:

      Left switch – stays the same (bypass/engage)

      Knob – becomes UP 1 preset

      Right switch – becomes DOWN 1 preset. 

    • #146195
      mikeystrat
      Member

      Thought I explained it pretty well. I’m talking H9, on the floor at a gig. To cycle through three presets I have to make six manuevers with my foot to accomplish what should be a simple task. Having to spend another 80 bucks for a workaround bothers me. You say people use this in all sorts of ways but not the way I want to use it. Which I believe is the most common way a guitarist using stomp boxes would use it. I think this thread backs me up. This pedal should have been able to do this from the start. I’ve read all the responses to these concerns and not one of them is an acceptable arugment. I’m really blown away by the response that essentially, our friends at Barn3 have made a gizmo that makes our pedal not suck for live performance. The fact that a company has put this much into R&D to create this product exclusively for the H9 should be embarrassing. 

      As an anology, you’ve sold me a car that has an extra clutch. To engage a gear, I have to depress the clutch to shift and then push the other clutch to engage the gear. And I have to do this evertime I shift. You say, yes, but it prevents you from engaging the wrong gear without thinking about it first, and you can purchase a device for only 20% of the price of the car that allows you to drive normally. That make sense. 

      So now I have to ask myself. Do I spend the 80 bucks? Are the sounds in this box that much better than what I already have? For my job, no. Not really. So what I’ll likely do is put the box on a shelf and check back periodically to see if Eventide has come to it’s senses. 

      • #146197
        fuzzfizz
        Member

        I feel your pain mikeystrat, I went through the same thing when I started trying to use the box live. I ended up buying the Barn3, but it was an added cost, and it also increases the formfactor size of the unit significantly. Where I disagree is that I think the sounds in this box are really superb, and better then a lot of the alternatives. Plus, the programming flexibility is fantastic. Now, tbh, I DON’T need either of those aspects for gigging – I can get adequate results with cheaper and simpler solutions, and often do. However, as a gearhead, I love the design implementation and quality of this unit. I think, if you can accept it’s limitations, it is a great addition to a gigging pedalboard. I find it best to use it in conjunction with the Barn3, have it preprogramed for 5 or 6 sounds that I will use, and cycle through those. The reverbs, delays and mods are really spectacular, and so are the newer drives (although I am not using those for live). I am also a Strymon guy, and I think these are at least on par with those sounds.

        I totally get where you are coming from, having dropped a ton of $$ and finding that you can’t use the product exactly as you envisioned, but you might find you can still adapt it to be a very useful and rewarding tool in you kit. I kind of agree though, Eventide should have seen this angle, and if not implemented the ability to autoload in forward AND reverse in the unit, and been unwilling to produce an Eventide brand accessory FS to address the issue, they should have at least highlighted the limitation and actively worked with a partner such as Barn3 and marketed in such a way as customers would not be surprised with this significant limitation after purchase. Without the Barn3 the H9 is unuseable to me for other then recording, except as a standalone single effect, which defeats the entire purpose of the thing, practically speaking.

         

        mikeystrat wrote:

        Thought I explained it pretty well. I’m talking H9, on the floor at a gig. To cycle through three presets I have to make six manuevers with my foot to accomplish what should be a simple task. Having to spend another 80 bucks for a workaround bothers me. You say people use this in all sorts of ways but not the way I want to use it. Which I believe is the most common way a guitarist using stomp boxes would use it. I think this thread backs me up. This pedal should have been able to do this from the start. I’ve read all the responses to these concerns and not one of them is an acceptable arugment. I’m really blown away by the response that essentially, our friends at Barn3 have made a gizmo that makes our pedal not suck for live performance. The fact that a company has put this much into R&D to create this product exclusively for the H9 should be embarrassing. 

        As an anology, you’ve sold me a car that has an extra clutch. To engage a gear, I have to depress the clutch to shift and then push the other clutch to engage the gear. And I have to do this evertime I shift. You say, yes, but it prevents you from engaging the wrong gear without thinking about it first, and you can purchase a device for only 20% of the price of the car that allows you to drive normally. That make sense. 

        So now I have to ask myself. Do I spend the 80 bucks? Are the sounds in this box that much better than what I already have? For my job, no. Not really. So what I’ll likely do is put the box on a shelf and check back periodically to see if Eventide has come to it’s senses. 

        Show More...
        Show Less...
      • #146203
        mikeystrat
        Member

        Thanks for your response. I was beginning to think I’d lost my ability to effectively communicate. I agree, the sounds are superb. And I might buy the Barn3. And I have no doubt that the minute I do, they’ll patch the H9. That’s how my life works. indecision

        fuzzfizz wrote:

        I feel your pain mikeystrat, I went through the same thing when I started trying to use the box live. I ended up buying the Barn3, but it was an added cost, and it also increases the formfactor size of the unit significantly. Where I disagree is that I think the sounds in this box are really superb, and better then a lot of the alternatives. Plus, the programming flexibility is fantastic. Now, tbh, I DON’T need either of those aspects for gigging – I can get adequate results with cheaper and simpler solutions, and often do. However, as a gearhead, I love the design implementation and quality of this unit. I think, if you can accept it’s limitations, it is a great addition to a gigging pedalboard. I find it best to use it in conjunction with the Barn3, have it preprogramed for 5 or 6 sounds that I will use, and cycle through those. The reverbs, delays and mods are really spectacular, and so are the newer drives (although I am not using those for live). I am also a Strymon guy, and I think these are at least on par with those sounds.

        I totally get where you are coming from, having dropped a ton of $$ and finding that you can’t use the product exactly as you envisioned, but you might find you can still adapt it to be a very useful and rewarding tool in you kit. I kind of agree though, Eventide should have seen this angle, and if not implemented the ability to autoload in forward AND reverse in the unit, and been unwilling to produce an Eventide brand accessory FS to address the issue, they should have at least highlighted the limitation and actively worked with a partner such as Barn3 and marketed in such a way as customers would not be surprised with this significant limitation after purchase. Without the Barn3 the H9 is unuseable to me for other then recording, except as a standalone single effect, which defeats the entire purpose of the thing, practically speaking.

         

        mikeystrat wrote:

        Show More...

        Thought I explained it pretty well. I’m talking H9, on the floor at a gig. To cycle through three presets I have to make six manuevers with my foot to accomplish what should be a simple task. Having to spend another 80 bucks for a workaround bothers me. You say people use this in all sorts of ways but not the way I want to use it. Which I believe is the most common way a guitarist using stomp boxes would use it. I think this thread backs me up. This pedal should have been able to do this from the start. I’ve read all the responses to these concerns and not one of them is an acceptable arugment. I’m really blown away by the response that essentially, our friends at Barn3 have made a gizmo that makes our pedal not suck for live performance. The fact that a company has put this much into R&D to create this product exclusively for the H9 should be embarrassing. 

        As an anology, you’ve sold me a car that has an extra clutch. To engage a gear, I have to depress the clutch to shift and then push the other clutch to engage the gear. And I have to do this evertime I shift. You say, yes, but it prevents you from engaging the wrong gear without thinking about it first, and you can purchase a device for only 20% of the price of the car that allows you to drive normally. That make sense. 

        So now I have to ask myself. Do I spend the 80 bucks? Are the sounds in this box that much better than what I already have? For my job, no. Not really. So what I’ll likely do is put the box on a shelf and check back periodically to see if Eventide has come to it’s senses. 

        Show Less...
      • #146220
        wedelich
        Moderator
        Eventide Staff
        mikeystrat wrote:

        Thought I explained it pretty well. I'm talking H9, on the floor at a gig. To cycle through three presets I have to make six manuevers with my foot to accomplish what should be a simple task. Having to spend another 80 bucks for a workaround bothers me. You say people use this in all sorts of ways but not the way I want to use it. Which I believe is the most common way a guitarist using stomp boxes would use it. I think this thread backs me up. This pedal should have been able to do this from the start. I've read all the responses to these concerns and not one of them is an acceptable arugment. I'm really blown away by the response that essentially, our friends at Barn3 have made a gizmo that makes our pedal not suck for live performance. The fact that a company has put this much into R&D to create this product exclusively for the H9 should be embarrassing. 

        As an anology, you've sold me a car that has an extra clutch. To engage a gear, I have to depress the clutch to shift and then push the other clutch to engage the gear. And I have to do this evertime I shift. You say, yes, but it prevents you from engaging the wrong gear without thinking about it first, and you can purchase a device for only 20% of the price of the car that allows you to drive normally. That make sense. 

        So now I have to ask myself. Do I spend the 80 bucks? Are the sounds in this box that much better than what I already have? For my job, no. Not really. So what I'll likely do is put the box on a shelf and check back periodically to see if Eventide has come to it's senses. 

         

        Got it, you meant six switch actions/maneuvers, not six actual aux switches.  You can see how I got confused there.  

        Seems like all you want to do is use one footswitch to increment and autoload through 3 presets.  So you really don't need the two aux switch $80 option at all.  As the H9 works now, you really just need one aux switch.  Barn3 sells this http://www.barn3.com/shop/tesla-tap for like $25, but there are probably other cheaper options out there.  

        Show More...

        With one aux switch assigned to "increment and autoload" and limiting your presets range from 1-3, this should get you where you to go with minimal cost and physical space.  It's your best available option right now.  

        We'll consider having different preset loading modes for the switches on the box in the future, but it won't be anytime soon and I can't make any promises.  The fallout from a feature change and the ensuing tradeoffs are always deeper than face value.  That said, we have been known to deliver on feature requests from our customers (output gain, routing modes, input/output swell, etc).  AND we deliver these in free updates no less! 

        Show Less...
    • #146198
      camn
      Participant

      Hey Mikey- I am a guitarist and I use the H9 a ton live. Mine diesnt suck at all.. and I don’t want any of the things mentioned in this thread. But it sounds like you are saying that you bought a pedal that you didn’t need.. and it doesn’t do a thing that it was never advertised to do… and now you are sore at Eventide for it? 

      That said- what are you trying to do? Tell us, and I bet we can figure out a way for you to do it. Th H9 is awesome and flexible.

       

      • #146202
        mikeystrat
        Member

        I’m not sore at anybody. And I’m glad it works for you. I won’t explain again what I want to do again. I think it’s been covered to death in this thread. Not sure what’s trippin up your comprehension. Let me ask you this, why don’t you want it to work like I want? I’m not suggesting anything be different except have the option to instantly switch presets using the existing buttons provided on the unit. You use it the way you want, I use it the way I want, everybody happy. I don’t get where your coming from. 

        camn wrote:

        Hey Mikey- I am a guitarist and I use the H9 a ton live. Mine diesnt suck at all.. and I don’t want any of the things mentioned in this thread. But it sounds like you are saying that you bought a pedal that you didn’t need.. and it doesn’t do a thing that it was never advertised to do… and now you are sore at Eventide for it? 

        That said- what are you trying to do? Tell us, and I bet we can figure out a way for you to do it. Th H9 is awesome and flexible.

         

      • #146210
        camn
        Participant
        mikeystrat wrote:

         Not sure what’s trippin up your comprehension. Let me ask you this, why don’t you want it to work like I want?

        I totally want it to do what you want. 

        But it doesn’t, apparently. And I like Eventide- I think they are doing great work, and are CRAZY attentive to their customers. When you come around with a ton of attitude and say that thier pedals “suck” and you are “blown away” that they haven’t “come to their senses” … that is shitty.  And yet I still offered to help you, to make your experience with the thing easier…. cuz maybe if you changed your process a little, those frustrations would be less frustrating. 

        But anyway- have fun. 

         

         

        Show More...

         

         

        Show Less...
      • #146217
        mikeystrat
        Member

        You cobbled three different sentences together and misrepresented all three. I did not say Eventide pedals suck. Ever. I said the H9 sucks for live performance. It does.  The very existance of the Barn3 gizmo is absoulute proof of that. Perhaps I could’ve clarified that changing presets suck while performing live. But I assumed since that was the topic, it would be obvious. I apologize.

        I did not say I’m blown away they haven’t come to their senses. I said I’m blown away that the H9 works this way. And I am. So is every guitarist I’ve talked to. I also said I’ll check back periodically to see if Eventide comes to it’s senses. I will. I think they are losing marketshare. I think guitar players that acually read the manual before buying, do not purchase. Had I caught it, I would not have. I own that. I take full responsibilty for my ignorance. I can tell you not even one review mentioned it. I’m doing my best to correct that. 

        I have more to say but  I’ll save it for another day. 

         

        camn wrote:

        mikeystrat wrote:

        Show More...

         Not sure what’s trippin up your comprehension. Let me ask you this, why don’t you want it to work like I want?

        I totally want it to do what you want. 

        But it doesn’t, apparently. And I like Eventide- I think they are doing great work, and are CRAZY attentive to their customers. When you come around with a ton of attitude and say that thier pedals “suck” and you are “blown away” that they haven’t “come to their senses” … that is shitty.  And yet I still offered to help you, to make your experience with the thing easier…. cuz maybe if you changed your process a little, those frustrations would be less frustrating. 

        But anyway- have fun. 

         

         

         

         

        Show Less...
    • #146224
      actioncamp
      Member

      If you are a key player and need to make quick specific patch changes why not assign midi to those patches per song and change my hand?

      Any patch can recieve any midi pc message you want, and they all have a save state of on or bypass per preset.

      That’s how I do it on guitar at least. I happen to use to a midi capable footswitch for the majority of changes, but also have a key rig that relays it’s program change into the loop so the h9 changes in sync with that as well.

    • #149024
      smj
      Member

      Had a situation recently where I really needed the H9 to auto load presets for a show I had…. no confirmation.

      The whole confirmation thing is odd… I can’t think of any other pedal I’ve had that operates like that.

      Fortunately, after reading this thread, I learned o could use a fsx3 pedal which I already had… gathering dust.

      So I programmed the aux switch to behave the way I want it to… auto load presets up and down.

      Still, why is there no ability to program the buttons on the actual unit to behave the way you want?

      The thread is 3 years old… and once again, Eventide seems to view constructive feedback as user rhetoric. All I hear is crickets. I guess they’re too busy designing distortion algorhythms I would never use…

      Sean Meredith-Jones
      http://www.seanmeredithjones.com

      • #149027
        fuzzfizz
        Member
        smj wrote:
        Had a situation recently where I really needed the H9 to auto load presets for a show I had…. no confirmation. The whole confirmation thing is odd… I can’t think of any other pedal I’ve had that operates like that. Fortunately, after reading this thread, I learned o could use a fsx3 pedal which I already had… gathering dust. So I programmed the aux switch to behave the way I want it to… auto load presets up and down. Still, why is there no ability to program the buttons on the actual unit to behave the way you want? The thread is 3 years old… and once again, Eventide seems to view constructive feedback as user rhetoric. All I hear is crickets. I guess they’re too busy designing distortion algorhythms I would never use… Sean Meredith-Jones http://www.seanmeredithjones.com

         

        My understanding is that they could do it, but it would change up some other things, and they are afraid the blowback from a significant percentage of owners would outweight the goodwill from those who would like the change. I really think not having the option is an achilles heel of the pedal, but I’ll take the bad with the good.

    • #149058
      camn
      Participant

      If one we’re willing to hardware-mod their H9…it wouldn’t be too hard to install a little toggle switch that flipped the switches between native and Aux modes.

      It could even have a light, if you were clever.

      Let me know if anyone is into that…I’ll walk you through the concept. Caveat- I have not done this..or even researched it.

    • #149062
      smj
      Member

      Any mod to me would be a good thing… but again… it should be selectable so nobody gives up anything. You like it the way it is? Great…. keep the default settings. You want autoload presets? Ok, set the switches for the job… and still be able to default back to current state. No need for blowback…. everyone wins.

      Again, it’s already the case for the aux switch…. you can program it to do whatever you want…. so I don’t see why it would be so hard to apply the same to the switches on the actual H9.

      Sean Meredith-Jones
      http://www.seanmeredithjones.com

    • #149067
      camn
      Participant

      You wanna try!  It’s a $2 toggle switch and an afternoon.

      So.. the crux of this job would be finding room in the case of the h9 FOR THIS 

      https://lovemyswitches.com/4pdt-on-off-on-switch-solder-lug-short-shaft/

      (there is a long-shaft version too… but I would use the short shaft if you are putting it on the top)

      It is not a big switch… so think it could work.. but again- I haven’t checked.  From memory, I think it would fit right in between the two foot switches.

      Or maybe oriented horizontally coming out of the side? through the black part? That might be more elegant. 

      Anyway…you would have to drill the case to pull it through.. but once that is done.. the rest is easy. 

      You just desolder the existing footswtiches.. wire the source to the toggle. the switches to the toggle, and then to the AUX jack. You could tap the AUX jack from the PCB board… leaving you the option of using an external AUX switch in addition to this mod without interference. 

      Show More...

      The entire mod is strictly hardware-based (other than assigning AUX switch functions).. and entirely outside of your Audio signalpath.. so there would be no interference with sound, and no need for Software Accomodation.

       

      I hope you try it! Take pictures and show us how it works.

       

      Show Less...
      • #149072
        fuzzfizz
        Member
        smj wrote:
        Any mod to me would be a good thing… but again… it should be selectable so nobody gives up anything. You like it the way it is? Great…. keep the default settings. You want autoload presets? Ok, set the switches for the job… and still be able to default back to current state. No need for blowback…. everyone wins. Again, it’s already the case for the aux switch…. you can program it to do whatever you want…. so I don’t see why it would be so hard to apply the same to the switches on the actual H9. Sean Meredith-Jones http://www.seanmeredithjones.com

         

        camn wrote:

        You wanna try!  It’s a $2 toggle switch and an afternoon.

        So.. the crux of this job would be finding room in the case of the h9 FOR THIS 

        Show More...

        https://lovemyswitches.com/4pdt-on-off-on-switch-solder-lug-short-shaft/

        (there is a long-shaft version too… but I would use the short shaft if you are putting it on the top)

        It is not a big switch… so think it could work.. but again- I haven’t checked.  From memory, I think it would fit right in between the two foot switches.

        Or maybe oriented horizontally coming out of the side? through the black part? That might be more elegant. 

        Anyway…you would have to drill the case to pull it through.. but once that is done.. the rest is easy. 

        You just desolder the existing footswtiches.. wire the source to the toggle. the switches to the toggle, and then to the AUX jack. You could tap the AUX jack from the PCB board… leaving you the option of using an external AUX switch in addition to this mod without interference. 

        The entire mod is strictly hardware-based (other than assigning AUX switch functions).. and entirely outside of your Audio signalpath.. so there would be no interference with sound, and no need for Software Accomodation.

         

        I hope you try it! Take pictures and show us how it works.

         

        This would be awesome! I myself am too lazy to do it atm, plus I already have the Barn thing anyway, but this would be way better. Wish they were like this out of the box.

        Show Less...
      • #149073
        fuzzfizz
        Member
        smj wrote:
        Any mod to me would be a good thing… but again… it should be selectable so nobody gives up anything. You like it the way it is? Great…. keep the default settings. You want autoload presets? Ok, set the switches for the job… and still be able to default back to current state. No need for blowback…. everyone wins. Again, it’s already the case for the aux switch…. you can program it to do whatever you want…. so I don’t see why it would be so hard to apply the same to the switches on the actual H9. Sean Meredith-Jones http://www.seanmeredithjones.com

         

        camn wrote:

        You wanna try!  It’s a $2 toggle switch and an afternoon.

        So.. the crux of this job would be finding room in the case of the h9 FOR THIS 

        Show More...

        https://lovemyswitches.com/4pdt-on-off-on-switch-solder-lug-short-shaft/

        (there is a long-shaft version too… but I would use the short shaft if you are putting it on the top)

        It is not a big switch… so think it could work.. but again- I haven’t checked.  From memory, I think it would fit right in between the two foot switches.

        Or maybe oriented horizontally coming out of the side? through the black part? That might be more elegant. 

        Anyway…you would have to drill the case to pull it through.. but once that is done.. the rest is easy. 

        You just desolder the existing footswtiches.. wire the source to the toggle. the switches to the toggle, and then to the AUX jack. You could tap the AUX jack from the PCB board… leaving you the option of using an external AUX switch in addition to this mod without interference. 

        The entire mod is strictly hardware-based (other than assigning AUX switch functions).. and entirely outside of your Audio signalpath.. so there would be no interference with sound, and no need for Software Accomodation.

         

        I hope you try it! Take pictures and show us how it works.

         

        This would be awesome! I myself am too lazy to do it atm, plus I already have the Barn thing anyway, but this would be way better. Wish they were like this out of the box.

        Show Less...
    • #149077
      camn
      Participant

      It would be trivial- you should try it. 

      Thinking more…. I think it would fit right next to the MIDI jacks… toward the front on the side. 

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.