Home Forums Products Stompboxes Organising presets on multiple H9’s

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      benriddell
      Participant

Hi all

I’ve recently bought my second H9 (a Core) after owning a Max for 18 months and would like your thoughts on something; Is there a particular way you guys (and gals) organise your presets on multiple H9’s?

At first I thought I’d just mirror my Max presets onto my Core but then wondered whether to allocate specific sounds to each unit – eg. delays only ever on the first one in the signal chain and reverbs only ever on the second.

But, then I thought about having the above but have a number of duplicates across the units so that I can switch the order if I want a different sound (tremolo into delay or delay into tremolo etc.)

I’d love to hear your thoughts. Thanks,

Ben

mistercharlie
      Participant

I’ve been thinking about this too. Currently I’m always a bit confused about what’s where.

If the same preset is on both pedals. I make sure to give it the same number/position on both. Other than that, right now I’m only using a fraction of the 99 available preset slots.

My idea is that I’ll put a set of duplicated presets on both, say from 01-20, then let 21-99 be for each unit’s independent presets.

What would be really cool would be a way to use MIDI to swap currently-active presets. Then you could quickly switch, say, pitch shift before dirt, to pitch shift after dirt.

cljfford
        Participant
        mistercharlie wrote:
        What would be really cool would be a way to use MIDI to swap currently-active presets. Then you could quickly switch, say, pitch shift before dirt, to pitch shift after dirt.

Hi mistercharlie, I’ve been doing dual preset triggering recently using a MIDI foot controller. It’s so cool! I’m using the SoftStep2 but there are many others. There’s a thread on these forums about it, if you want to investigate.

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        mistercharlie wrote:

Of course, you can do that. Basically, you need to set up your presets beforehand. Say you have two preset lists on your two H9s:

First H9: 1.Pitch 2.Dirt  3…4…5…99

Second H9: 1.Dirt 2.Pitch   3…4…5…99

Then you can connect your MIDI controller to the first H9, and connect your first H9's MIDI OUT to your second H9's MIDI IN. Then you should be able to switch to any pair of presets together by sending one MIDI PC message from your MIDI controller.

mistercharlie
        Participant
        bohan wrote:
        mistercharlie wrote:

Of course, you can do that. Basically, you need to set up your presets beforehand. Say you have two preset lists on your two H9s:

First H9: 1.Pitch 2.Dirt  3…4…5…99

Neat! I have an EvenMidi controller, which will let me assign this kind of “group” to banks. So a preset on the EvenMidi will switch presets on two pedals at once.
        Second H9: 1.Dirt 2.Pitch   3…4…5…99

Then you can connect your MIDI controller to the first H9, and connect your first H9's MIDI OUT to your second H9's MIDI IN. Then you should be able to switch to any pair of presets together by sending one MIDI PC message from your MIDI controller.

cljfford
      Participant

I have been experimenting with preset lists for 2 H9s and followed a similar “At first I thought… But then I thought…” pattern. It seems to be a wide open sandbox, so mirroring and switching the order both work. Just working with the Lists has given me ideas for what to do as I encounter breaks in my workflow as I play and search for ways to make the performances work. I’ve tried making preset lists that would be a collection of pedals, like a pedal board, and also tried to assemble preset lists for songs, so the effects would be in order of a performance. I’ve tried to keep the List Numbers the same for alogorithms that I use together, to keep track easier. It’s all still a work in progress for me but I figured I’d chime in, since it’s a subject I’ve been thinking about too.

I think it’s good to switch the orders. The interactions just happen and they can be really surprising.

My List of Preset Lists keep growing though! I have a feeling that they could get out of hand if I don’t focus on making just a few and have a strategy for each list.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.