original power adapter delivering 12v

Home Forums Products Stompboxes original power adapter delivering 12v

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      dda

Hi all,

I bought a Timefactor a couple of weeks ago. No complains about it, great tones, works fine, everything is ok with it.
      For a stupid reason I decided to measure the output of the power adapter supplied with the stompbox (european version as mentionned on the packaging) with my multimeter and read : 12v.

I double checked the measure (even checked my multimeter and my power outlet), and confirm thee power adapter delivers 12v instead of 9v to the Timefactor.

Even if the unit doesn't seem to complain about it after 2 weeks of use, is this "over feeding" likely to harm the stompbox after more times ?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I think this shows the danger of test equipment …

You don't say under what conditions you are measuring the output. I suspect it may be with no load, in which case the voltage would certainly be higher than you would expect. If you were to measure it when connected to a working TF, it would be noticeably lower.

Beyond this, the specified values usually have margins to cope with a range of actual operating conditions. For example, our power supplies were chosen to be able to operate over line voltages between 100 and 130V (USA model) – this is one reason why they are bigger than many would like.

oyarsa
      Participant

Nick,

Are the USA power supplies for the TF regulated or non-regulated?

THanks  Beer

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

They're unregulated – the regulation is done inside the TF.

mak

So is it feasible to run TF from the 12V outlet of a Fuel Tank to take advantage of the high current availability? I accept it is outside the recommended ideal, but some quick sums would indicate wall voltage fluctuations of approx 30 volts worldwide means the pedal should be able to handle it??

Thanks for any advice

mak

BTW FWIW my factory supply measures 15.8 unloaded!!

Cheers

Vino

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

FWIW = not much. The loaded value is the thing.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

mak:

So is it feasible to run TF from the 12V outlet of a Fuel Tank

T-Rex does not publish complete specs for their power supplies so I can't give you a clear answer. They do show pictures of TF and MF being powered by their products in their manuals – you should probably ask them …..

mak

thanks for the quick reply Nick.

Point taken-but- if a factory supply @ approx 1amp rating drops from 15V to 9V under load, then a 3rd party device rated @500ma will most likely easily drop from 12V to 9V under load.

I'm only pursuing this like everyone else to find a more compact – and safer solution for my new pedal board.

Having 240AC floating around with AC plugs, sockets etc doesn't seem to me to be as optimal as an integrated, sealed tank for the time that guy drops the glass of beer on my board.

Yeah I know- I need to play in more classy venues!!!

Cheers

Vino

mak

OK- I'll shoot off an email to T-Rex

Thanks

Vino

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

mak:

a 3rd party device rated @500ma will most likely easily drop from 12V to 9V under load

Not necessarily – if it is regulated it may only drop a few mV. If it is not, its off-load voltage may be 15-20V.

When using a 12V supply, regulation is the issue, as things inside a 'Factor start exceeding their ratings above about 15V.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.