Pan and stereo delay

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Pan and stereo delay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Iceman78
      Participant

Hi to every one, i’ ve bought a h9 few days ago but as a newbie i’ve some difficulties with the device. I would to know if i can pan a reverb only on one output. Also if i can use a stereo delay with two different settings of time, feedback and mix. Is it possibile?

mjahoger
      Participant
      Iceman78 wrote:
      Hi to every one, i’ ve bought a h9 few days ago but as a newbie i’ve some difficulties with the device. I would to know if i can pan a reverb only on one output. Also if i can use a stereo delay with two different settings of time, feedback and mix. Is it possibile?

You can pan the reverb in one channel, by setting the routing of the H9 to “wet-dry” (under Pedal Settings>General Settings>Routing).

You then can choose for each individual preset whether you want the effect in stereo, wet(L) dry(R), or dry(L) wet(R).

With respect to the stereo delay, several delays have individual settings for time and feedback, but mix is always the same. However, feedback settings do affect mix levels.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Iceman78 wrote:

Most delay algorithms in H9 have two DELAY (AB), FEEDBACK (AB), and Delay Mix, which can adjust the mix between two delays.

Winther
        bohan wrote:

Iceman78 wrote:

Most delay algorithms in H9 have two DELAY (AB), FEEDBACK (AB), and Delay Mix, which can adjust the mix between two delays.

So basically what you are saying is that despite all of these fine algorithms the H9 offers zero auto-pan or ping pong effects on the delays whatsoever?

Iceman78
      Participant

Thanks

mjahoger
      Participant

Again, I believe a dedicated multitap delay with control over the level, panning, and modulation of each delay line (and overall diffusion of the delays) would be a welcome addition to the current algorithms. 

I hope everyone is safe in these surreal times!

Winther

Ok, I appreciate all the detail. It still sounds very static to me though.
      In my book, as a minimum, a ping pong setting is global, thereby applying massive width to any delay type. Additionally I would love to see auto-panning like ping pong, by dynamically. Also I would prefer to have the delays always starting right and decaying further and further left or vice versa. It could be from center to left and returning right or vice versa.
      It sounds to me like Eventide is not at all taking advantage of being stereo in terms of delays. Effects like these can create so much width and perspective to a vocal or lead and I think it is a real pity not making the most of it and it even occurs to me that it would be pretty simple to do.
      Thanks.

camn
      Participant

global ping pong would be dumb, per preset settings are best. also my guitar is mono

camn
      Participant

o ur right wrong board i thought this wuz the unjustified smaktalk and bad ideas thread 🙂

camn
      Participant

Also in seriousness, your commentary is not useful. You have a ‘solution’ in search of a problem. You are unfamiliar with what the device can do, yet have suggestions on what it ~should~ do.

This forum is to help users solve problems, which you don’t help with. There is a feature request thread elsewhere. If your suggestion was any good, that’s where it would belong.

That is all.

*please note I am not an Eventide employee and my opinions do not represent the company 🙂

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Winther wrote:

So basically what you are saying is that despite all of these fine algorithms the H9 offers zero auto-pan or ping pong effects on the delays whatsoever?

I don't know where you drew this conclusion. There is a ping pong algorithm called Filter Pong in H9.

Winther
      bohan wrote:

Winther wrote:

I don’t know where you drew this conclusion. There is a ping pong algorithm called Filter Pong in H9.

Ok, thanks. 

I drew the conclusion from the questions and answers above. Being able to statically pan two separate delays is not exactly a stereo effect in my book. In addition I find no stereo related knobs in the GUI’s and all the delay demos I can find are in mono.

But again, from what you are saying it sounds like the ping pong effect belongs to a dedicated algorithm rather than being a global setting for any of the nice delay types? If that’s the indeed the case I personally see no purpose of the H9 as a delay pedal.

Cheers!

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Winther wrote:

I drew the conclusion from the questions and answers above. Being able to statically pan two separate delays is not exactly a stereo effect in my book. In addition I find no stereo related knobs in the GUI's and all the delay demos I can find are in mono.

But again, from what you are saying it sounds like the ping pong effect belongs to a dedicated algorithm rather than being a global setting for any of the nice delay types? If that's the indeed the case I personally see no purpose of the H9 as a delay pedal.

Cheers!

Well, all Delay algorithms can work in either mono or steoreo. The Delay Mix knob is not a simple panning knob. Here is what you can find in the description of each delay algorithm in H9 Control. You can click the "Info" button to see the description of each algorithm in H9 Control.

Delay Mix – [DLYMIX] : Controls the relative level of the twin delays, Delay A and Delay B. The H9 has circuitry that detects which input/output jacks are being used and adjusts the routing of signals through the Effects algorithm accordingly. Dly Mix’s mixing behavior depends on whether you’re using mono or stereo outputs. For Mono Out, with [DLYMIX] = A10+B0, output 1 will have only Delay A’s contribution. With [DLYMIX] = A10+B10, Output 1 has an equal amount of Delay A and Delay B. With [DLYMIX] = A0+B10, Output 1 will have only Delay B’s contribution. For Stereo output, with [DLYMIX] = A10+B0, BOTH outputs will have only Delay A’s contribution. With [DLYMIX] = A10+B10, Delay A goes to Output 1 only and Delay B goes to Output 2 only. With [DLYMIX] = A0+B10, BOTH outputs will have only Delay B’s contribution.

So you can adjust the Delay (A&B) and Feeback (A&B) for each channel (A&B) independently. What does a stereo delay do in your effect book?

Winther
      camn wrote:

global ping pong would be dumb, per preset settings are best. also my guitar is mono

You didn’t actually read the thread, did you? If you did it should be pretty clear that by global ping pong effect I mean it is globally selectable for all delay types rather than a delay type in itself. Obviously any stereo effect must be preset programmable.

But maybe you just posted in the wrong forum. If guitar being mono is an argument then why would would you even consider an H9? My guitar doesn’t reverbarate, echo, flange or harmonize much. In fact it doesn’t even distort or amplify much at all. Just remember to always make your drums really narrow in the mix also, since kits are rarely more than 7′ wide…. smiley

Winther
      camn wrote:

o ur right wrong board i thought this wuz the unjustified smaktalk and bad ideas thread 🙂

But in all seriousness – I’ve been stereo rigging since the 90’s and if you haven’t tried I cannot recommend it highly enough. Especially wide delays have a massive impact and I just think it’s a pity that Eventide don’t offer more of those gorgeous algorithms in stereo varieties. What perfect soundscapes it would be.

Winther
      camn wrote:
      Also in seriousness, your commentary is not useful. You have a ‘solution’ in search of a problem. You are unfamiliar with what the device can do, yet have suggestions on what it ~should~ do. This forum is to help users solve problems, which you don’t help with. There is a feature request thread elsewhere. If your suggestion was any good, that’s where it would belong. That is all. *please note I am not an Eventide employee and my opinions do not represent the company 🙂

I didn’t come here to make suggestions but simply to ask a question within the appropriate thread. The fact that trying to explain myself out of being considered “dumb” turned into a suggestion, I can already say I much regret. Thank you for the demeaning closure, I’ll take this somewhere deserving instead.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.