Pass tempo via midi when not in tempo mode

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Pass tempo via midi when not in tempo mode

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      parsky1

I was wondering if there was a way to pass the tempo through the eventide effects through midi even when tempo is off?  I have my timefactor first then my modfactor second, then a pitchfactor.  The problem is that when I switch to certain presets (i.e. factory preset 1:1) on the modfactor that don't use the tap tempo, the modfactor ceases to continue to pass the tempo through to the pitchfactor.  Any ideas?

Thanks

timothyhill

I've got the PF into the TF, then MF and Space. I can pass MIDI Clock through all the pedals, regardless of whether the selected preset (on any pedal) is active or not not uses Tempo or not. So, this can be done.

On your MF, what do you have System >> MIDI >> Output set to? Mine is set to THRU, but if yours is set to XMT, only MIDI Clock from the MF will be transmitted. My best guess is that this is what you're experiencing.

The problem is if you're using other MIDI data generated from the MF, that would no longer be transmitted downstream. Unfortunately, there's no built-in way to merge internal and external MIDI data without using an external box. I might suggest using your TF to transmit MIDI Clock and any CC or PC data, then setting the MF MIDI Output to THRU. That way, you'll get MIDI Clock from the TF to both your MF and PF. There are alternatives, though, if that's not a workable solution in your rig.

parsky1

I just got my Space!… so the wiring has changed.

Ok that fixed it kinda.  I did what you said to Space (set output to thru) and now the Modfactor gets tempo in either case ok.    I did the same to the Modfactor (set it to Thru) and the Pitchfactor just freaks out.  It displays random tempos (it looks like it is trying to lock in, but it can't)… Not sure what is going on?  If I set modfactor back to "xmit" the pitchfactor quits freaking out and locks into the tempo ok.  Hmm

Here is the midi wiring (not the audio signal path)

TimeFactor -> Space -> Modfactor -> Pitchfactor

timothyhill

Yeah, my MIDI routing is completely different from my audio path, too. If you haven't already, you might want to make sure you've got the latest software update (V3.0.0[19]) for the PF (well, all of them, actually). There have been some improvements to MIDI Clock implementation in PF, which might help in your situation.

There's a new System >> MIDI option, too, that has to do with clock smoothing. I can't remember if it's in all of the Factors now, or if it's just a few (I think it's all, but I couldn't find the reference on the PF update page), and I can't remember exactly what it's called (I'm not with my pedalboard at the moment), but it's pretty obvious.

I've seen the PF go back and forth between tempos before, like you describe, but it's never been completely random, always within about +/-10 bpm. Updating to V3 corrected this, especially after turning on the clock smoothing option.

If that doesn't help, can you provide all the System >> MIDI settings for all your pedals? That might help track it down.

Enjoy your Space!!

timothyhill

Technically, this could be caused by a bad MIDI cable, too. Could be an intermittent short. I kind of doubt it, since you're only having problems when the MF is set to THRU, but I wanted to mention it, anyway.

parsky1

I'm try to backup my timefactor before I update them to the newest software but Factorlib 1.8 keeps telling me to check midi cables.  It shows a timefactor in the midi config, but can't connect to it.  What the heck?

parsky1

Ok I solved the pitchfactor issue after updating MF and PF to the newest revisions.  It could have also been the fact that I had a midi setting wrong as well.  What an ordeal that was!  I had all kindas of issues backing up with factorlib.  Eventide really needs to remind people that midiclk must be disabled in order for factorlib to work.  With the MF, the update utility fails to get the reinitalization from the MF after update and just hangs.

timothyhill

The problem with the update utility and MIDI clock is one of the things that v3 addresses, so this shouldn't be a problem in the future. Also, there are several sticky posts in this forum that detail some of the known issues, in addition to the revision history on the software update pages.

I'm glad you got it to work, finally. It took me awhile to figure that one out, too.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.