Performance Switch over MIDI with Helix

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Performance Switch over MIDI with Helix

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      flotsam71

I am sure this topic has been discussed to death here…but please help. I have everthing working great…BUT  using MIDI to activate performance switch on a Modfactor efect only activates BRAKE….not Fast/Slow??  I can turn the Brake on and off with the 0 or 127 with 2 switches.  I get that part…but why no Fast/Slow straght to Brake. Any advice would be great. Is it because of MIDI and not Aux switch?? Or a problem with helix itself??  I am using momentary not latching.  

Thanks so much, Jim

brock
      Participant

Here’s a detailed reply on a similar issue, from a couple days back:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/comment/30461#comment-30461

That should help.

Imerkat
      Participant

are you using the MIDI CC or CC toggle? I have the performance switch set to toggle and it works intended by the algorithm.

flotsam71

Using MIDI toggle works as I said. It will turn on and off BRAKE with a Rotary. But will not function FAST/SLOW. I just assume that the Helix is uncapable of this. The trigger time must be too slow and simply just goes to BRAKE mode. Others have mentioned GATE mode with MIDI pedals. Helix doesn’t have that option. Thanks for the advice guys!! 

Imerkat
      Participant

So it does seem that H9 doesn’t support slow/fast over MIDI and Eventide knows you might have luck using the CV output of the Helix to control the aux input of the H9

camn
        Participant
        Imerkat wrote:

So it does seem that H9 doesn’t support slow/fast over MIDI…

I have to disagree. I have Fast and Brake working via MIDI, as described.

Imerkat
        Participant
        camn wrote:

Imerkat wrote:

Really? so if you hold it for long you get slow/fast and if you press it quickly you get brake from the same settings on your MIDI control? i’ve worked out as double tap CC toggle for fast/slow and once for brake

flotsam71

Really? so if you hold it for long you get slow/fast and if you press it quickly you get brake from the same settings on your MIDI control? i’ve worked out as double tap CC toggle for fast/slow and once for brake

[/quote]

Holy Crap that works!!   CC Toggle Dim value 0 and Lit value 127.    Just pressing turns on BRAKE.   But a quick on and off toggles FAST/SLOW.   Kind of different but that does work. Thanks for the help guys!!

camn
        Participant
        Imerkat wrote:
        camn wrote:

Imerkat wrote:

Yes, really.
        Though…it functions the opposite of what you desribed.

It is detailed in my post in the thread linked above….. But the essence is this:

If, via cc, I send 127 then 0 right away…it flips to slow. Then back to fast if I do the same … 127 then 0. This I call a TAP of a midi cc button in gate mode..not toggle. On/off. Because in gate mode it sends 127 when I press, and 0 when I release.

If I HOLD that same switch, sending just 127….it goes to BRAKE mode..just while I am holding it. When I release…it sends 0, and brake mode is released.

This is normal function…identical to my analog aux switch mapped to the performance switch.
        Also reminiscent of traditional Leslie controls on a Hammond organ.

The key is sending the right cc signals.
        Your need for a double tap is because your switch is in TOGGLE mode, instead of an on/off gate mode..which is a limitation of some controllers…namely the Helix, as I understand.

camn
        Participant
        Imerkat wrote:
        camn wrote:

Imerkat wrote:

Yes, really.
        Though…it functions the opposite of what you desribed.

It is detailed in my post in the thread linked above….. But the essence is this:

If, via cc, I send 127 then 0 right away…it flips to slow. Then back to fast if I do the same … 127 then 0. This I call a TAP of a midi cc button in gate mode..not toggle. On/off. Because in gate mode it sends 127 when I press, and 0 when I release.

If I HOLD that same switch, sending just 127….it goes to BRAKE mode..just while I am holding it. When I release…it sends 0, and brake mode is released.

This is normal function…identical to my analog aux switch mapped to the performance switch.
        Also reminiscent of traditional Leslie controls on a Hammond organ.

The key is sending the right cc signals.
        Your need for a double tap is because your switch is in TOGGLE mode, instead of an on/off gate mode..which is a limitation of some controllers..like this guy’s. The Helix.

flotsam71

Doesn’t the CV output of helix send voltage?? I didn’t think that was a good idea. I bought an MXR TAP switch. Tiny little thing. It works great for performance switch. Just a shame I can’t get helix to do it with MIDI.     Thanks so much guys!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.