Pipe organ from H9 Max?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Pipe organ from H9 Max?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Daniel
      Participant

I recently got the (dark) H9 Max, and with the app, it is amazing.

I don’t have room on my board for my POG 2, but would love to know if anyone has found either a preset or a way to get a cathedral/pipe organ sound.

Seems like the Pitchfactor algorithm might be an option; I’m just learning this pedal, so any help in the direction of said sound would be appreciated.

brock
      Participant

Here’s an ancient post along those lines:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/comment/7800#comment-7800

You might come close with a PitchFuzz preset (minus the ‘fuzz’).  That said, the authenticity will increase with some additional pedals / algorithms in-line.

Daniel
      Participant

Thanks, Brock, this is definitely a help. And I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who thought of this idea.

I found that the Quadravox Heavy Quad preset comes very close to what I want. Since I only play pedal steel, and a volume pedal is part of the instrument’s sound, I’m not too worried about swells or attack.

Daniel
      Participant

Ultimately of course, nothing is a pipe organ but a pipe organ. I was looking for ways to mimic one with just what I have (no more board space).

When using the effect, I try to avoid any slides and generally pick single strings or chords. I wouldn’t use my bar or pedals (on the steel) if I wanted to sound close to an organ. Thanks for your ideas, Brock. I once fooled a sound man with my POG 2, and would like to think I can do it again with the H9.

noodle1
      Participant

Use a smaller POG (the MicroPOG sounds better anyways) and send it to another effect already on your board like an H9 or strymon

Daniel
      Participant

I’d assumed the smaller POG pedals didn’t have the +2, +1, -1, -2 octave capability. Have you tried a Micro POG, then? Not sure what else to add to that, but you got me thinking.

Daniel
      Participant

Thank you very much, noddle1! I appreciate your ideas. Sure would be great if the H9 did polyphonic. I tried the Heavy Quad setting under Quadravox; nice, but there’s a hint of fuzziness from something, and it works best for single notes.

I just don’t have room for another pedal on my board, but I’m all ears if you find something that I can try (I have the Strymon Mobius, Red Panda Labs Particle 2 and Eventide SPACE, plus some others).

noodle1
      Participant

Here is POG example in forum preset sharing

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/presets/admin/pog

with a blind A/B Test — H9 vs POG

apalazzolo
      Participant

Have you tried the Synthonizer algorithm for organ sounds? The SHAPE A control has settings for ORGAN 1 and ORGAN 2 that may be of interest.

With respect to EHX POG presets, I have attache two.  The first is a minor variation on the one that noodle1 was kind enough to provide.  Mine allows you to omit or include an upper octave voice as desired. 

The second preset is built on Crushstation because it allows one to add some of that drive noodle1 mentioned was missing from the first preset.  Screenshot 1 is the basic sound with upper and lower octave voices.  Screenshot 2 shows the hotswitch settings which add some drive.  Naturally, one could have blended in some drive using the ribbon controller( expression pedal) instead of the hotswitch.

Another option is to buiild a POG-like preset using Pitchfuzz.  It’s easy enough to add upper and lower octave voices to create a POG preset as well as some fuzz  if desired.  You could also add some delay to a preset like that if you wanted thickening, doubling, or longer delays.

Finally, here’s a great video of a guy with some POG-like presets using various voice combinations:

Best of luck.

Daniel
      Participant

Thank you both for your additional ideas. I’ve recently opened up some space on my board, and if it fits, I may put my POG2 back. Still, I want to try some of the above suggestions, as the POG2 is rather large.

noodle1
      Participant

Just bumped into another one of these, so here we are again… Eventually I will add some of my own ‘takes’ on the POG sound. (I do have both, I just haven’t gotten around to making a preset since I usually save the H9 for other sounds)

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/presets/davebrubaker/pipeorgan

PIPEORGAN.h9z file preset DDL

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/presets/download/12167

Daniel
      Participant

Thanks again, noodle1. If I download that preset, would I need more than 1 H9? And how can I transfer it from my PC to the H9 app?

brock
      Participant
      Daniel wrote:
      … Since I only play pedal steel, and a volume pedal is part of the instrument’s sound, I’m not too worried about swells or attack.

This kind of application is fascinating to me.  I’m guessing that any true portamento glides from the tonebar/slide could be disguised as swept keys (discrete glissando).  My feeble attempts here involve a spare guitar with terrible action, heavy strings, and a brass tonebar.  My ‘pedals & levers’ are electronic.

I will reiterate how much the EHX SuperEgo / Freeze helped shape the organ emulation.    Heavy compression is similar.  In fact, the Omnipressor can carve out an envelope resembling that of an organ.

As mentioned in the other thread, rotary speed changes go a long way, as well.  Curious to see how this all works out for you with a real console pedal steel.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Daniel wrote:

I'd assumed the smaller POG pedals didn't have the +2, +1, -1, -2 octave capability. Have you tried a Micro POG, then? Not sure what else to add to that, but you got me thinking.

Using QuadroVox can get you +2, +1, -1, -2 octave voices. Or like brock said, you can try PitchFuzz for 3 voices.

noodle1
      Participant
      Daniel wrote:

I’d assumed the smaller POG pedals didn’t have the +2, +1, -1, -2 octave capability. Have you tried a Micro POG, then? Not sure what else to add to that, but you got me thinking.

So let me be a little more clear on a couple points.

(1) Technically you are correct, the smaller ones do not have +2,-2, but heres where it gets interesting: you cannot mimic the tone of a MicroPog or Nano on a POG2 w/o utilizing the +2,-2 octaves to a small degree, and maybe some detune, so the Micro is more complex sonically than the DRY, SUB, UP would have you believe (technically it doesn’t even say +1,-1 on a micropog). This could be good or bad, depending if you absolutely need fine-grained voice control, then I’d stick w the POG2, but EHX changed the algorithm and smoothed it out on the POG2, which I do not like. My old Micro has A/Bed better than any other POG besides the original.

(2) The POG series is polyphonic, whereas the H9 is not (someone chime in if this is not the case for some pitch algos) This means the H9 will only track the fundamental note, wheres the POG or whammy will track whole chords. This is a very important distinction, I would say the most important! It doesnt make one better than the other, just sounds way different. This is why it is important to have one of these devices on your board, mono pitch tracking sounds different than polyphonic.Its two different sound palettes.

(3) The smaller POGs have a DRY out, + EFFECT out, the POG2 does not (POG2 got true bypass and lost the 2 buffered outs. I dont think all that many people use this, but u could send the DRY to your regular pedalboard and the EFFECT to a BASS amp to capture the low sounds better when u want 30-50Hz range. The H9 can do this as well (assign WET/DRY to different outputs)

(4) The new EHX Pitchfork+ is pretty awesome feature-wise, and price-wise but youll take a bit of a hit on quality. The MicroPOG has a slightly richer, more musical sound than the Pitchfork.

For tried and true polyphonic organ sounds, its hard to beat EHX. As my friend says, everything EHX makes sound like an organ. HAHA

noodle1
      Participant
      Daniel wrote:

When using the effect, I try to avoid any slides and generally pick single strings or chords.

Since it sounds like it will be a lot of single notes (monophonic), I think it would be fun to work on some possible H9 solutions, but to be completely honest the POG series is one of the few effects that is pretty unique/hard to duplicate. Very organ-like! I will play around with the Octaver and other Pitchfactor algos to see. I’ve gotten close to the POG sound in the past, but it tends to sound “simpler”, w 2-3 voices that seem to have less poly-phonic (vertical note) complexity, basically sounds much more filtered than a POG, which takes away a lot of that “grind” and bloom that EHX stuff is known for.

In an “H9-only” situation I would probably use 2-3 FX to try to recreate the organ/POG sound. Maybe an algo like the OCTAVER or QUADRAVOX, then adding SHIMMER reverb (pitch shifting lush reverb “pad” sound) would get you in the ballpark. Basically (A) voice control, (B) pitch detuning, (C) attack/swell/pad effects, WET/DRY control will help soften the effect.

Will get back to you later on some H9 ideas!

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Daniel wrote:

Thanks again, noodle1. If I download that preset, would I need more than 1 H9? And how can I transfer it from my PC to the H9 app?

You drag the preset file onto the window of H9 Control app on your PC

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.