Home Forums Products Stompboxes Pitch Factor: The Update Saga Continues

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Pitch
      Participant

Hello!

My beloved PITCH FACTOR still refuses to update.

This issue goes for years now (is like having an affair by now). I think i go back to it once a year. Maybe a new/better installer fixes this  i think to myself but no, all the same.

New H9 control app wich works OKish with my H9 is still unable to update my now vintage PITCH FACTOR, i have it since 2011 and is running 2.3.0[2].

Eventide Direct Updater OSX 10.8 or above, does it work? I can’t even make it launch on Mac OS Catalina (allowing updates on security system, any app from anyone can be installed), it just fails everytime. And do i need it? H9 Control doesn’t do the same? If so why it is there to download. Anyway…

Today i went crazy nuts and spent 30€ on a MIDI to USD cable just to give it a try since USB is just a thing to forget. Never ever in 9 years with any instaler with any operating system, from pre historic versions of windows (they all are i know) to the last one and the same on Mac, all the USB cables known to mankind, nothing. Never, ever, not even a sign of comunication, not even a blink. Not even with help from anybody including eventide support. USB NEVER.

So today was the day to try MIDI update, after playing detective on how to do it because eventide doesn’t explains it clearly to the average Joe like me, at leastt in a clear way and an obvious place. H9 Control + Direct Updater + all the cosmic forces of the universe recognised the pedal ONCE! Just once not twice! H9 detected for a brief moment the pedal and it even lauched the infamous direct updater (i can’t even imagine how the indirect updater is). The ID of the pedal appeared on the updater, unfortunatelly it was unable to select/suggest any update to proceed (no options whatesover) and because there is a super un-usefull button that alllows a manual update where you can just select a file THAT IT DOESN’T EXISTS because Eventide does’t have it on the downloads area it means that: Yes not today either. The downloads area does give you the chance to download the “release notes” for  Software 5.0.0 [4]. A nice way that i apreciate to let you know what you are missing and will keep missing.

So, this was the report of those epic moments were my Pitch Factor comunicated with a computer. Almost a minute in 9 years. It failed but oh boy! It was so good! The pure joy of hope! After this i tried to replicate this UNIQUE and sublime moment for more then 20 times but no luck. See ya next year Eventide Direct Updater, the most infamous piece of software ever created.

Thousants of people complaning about this updates all over this years and i couldn’t find yet one single soul with a solution. This means that all this units are a bit moody from the begining or this software is has finicky has it gets. Is not right for sure.

Does anyone knows the magic potion to make this stubborn mule to update?

Thanks in advance to any kind soul that might know a way to solve this!

I start the process with Pitch Factor erased to Factory Settings and in UPDATE mode. Then the pedal changes its status to READY. Then the H9 Control / Direct Update FAILS. This is the error message:

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Pitch wrote:

Hello!

My beloved PITCH FACTOR still refuses to update.

This issue goes for years now (is like having an affair by now). I think i go back to it once a year. Maybe a new/better installer fixes this  i think to myself but no, all the same.

New H9 control app wich works OKish with my H9 is still unable to update my now vintage PITCH FACTOR, i have it since 2011 and is running 2.3.0[2].

Eventide Direct Updater OSX 10.8 or above, does it work? I can't even make it launch on Mac OS Catalina (allowing updates on security system, any app from anyone can be installed), it just fails everytime. And do i need it? H9 Control doesn't do the same? If so why it is there to download. Anyway…

Hi, PitchFactor needs to be updated with Direct Updater via USB. You don't need to download and install the Direct Updater again. It is bundled with H9 Control. You can open that by clicking "Window" -> "Open Eventide Direct Updater" from the menu bar. Let me know if it works.

camn
      Participant

damn 30€ you got robbed

Pitch
      Participant

Doesn’t work at all with USB, never worked in all this years. My last hope was to try update it using the MIDI ports. I can select the ports 1 and 2 with the updater app, but then all i got is a spining weel for ages. Do i need to do something in the pedal itself in order to update it with MIDI?

Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

No obvious reason why it would work with MIDI and not with USB but worth a try.

Make sure the USB is unplugged before powering up and then using the DIN MIDI.

joshmq
      Participant

In my experience (I have a pitch and time factor), if the pedal is not showing up on the updater or H9 control. its because the midi port your USB cable is plugged into on your computer (if you’re using one?) from the Pitchfactor is being blocked or used by another application. For example if you have a DAW such as Ableton open on your computer, its using at least one port, probably 2 or 3 ports if you’re using different midi contorllers/interfaces. If this is the case, you can turn off all the devices in the midi settings page of most DAWs, and this should free up the midi port for the pitchfactor.

bohan
      Eventide Staff

Have you tried factory resetting your pedal?

When you connect your PitchFactor to your PC/Mac via USB, can you see it as a MIDI device in MIDI Setup / MIDI Studio? If it's there, the Direct Updater should be able to see it; if not, that probably means the cable or the USB port on the pedal is not working.

Pitch
      Participant
      camn wrote:

damn 30€ you got robbed

Yep i went with a fancy one to be sure it wasn’t some piece of garbage since i’ve seen in the forums users suggesting trying a diferent cable (USB) so i guessed this pedals likes gourmet cables.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Pitch wrote:

Doesn't work at all with USB, never worked in all this years. My last hope was to try update it using the MIDI ports. I can select the ports 1 and 2 with the updater app, but then all i got is a spining weel for ages. Do i need to do something in the pedal itself in order to update it with MIDI?

Thanks!

Did you see your PitchFactor in Direct Updater? Did you boot it into Update mode?

Pitch
      Participant
      bohan wrote:

Pitch wrote:

Doesn’t work at all with USB, never worked in all this years. My last hope was to try update it using the MIDI ports. I can select the ports 1 and 2 with the updater app, but then all i got is a spining weel for ages. Do i need to do something in the pedal itself in order to update it with MIDI?

Thanks!

Did you see your PitchFactor in Direct Updater? Did you boot it into Update mode?

Pichfactor OFF

press middle footswitch + encoder button

I power PITCHFACTOR

I see UPDATE on PITCHFACTOR

I connect the USB cable (also tryed it with the cable inserted before powering the PITCHFACTOR)

I launch H9, and it doesn’t find any pedal

I launch DIRECT UPDATER

Doesn’t find any pedal either.

MAC OS 10.15.3 & Lastest Windows update // They both do the same.

I never ever got my PITCHFACTOR to comunicate with a computer with USB.

Thats why i was trying the MIDI way of doing it.

Pitch
      Participant
      nickrose wrote:

No obvious reason why it would work with MIDI and not with USB but worth a try.

Make sure the USB is unplugged before powering up and then using the DIN MIDI.

Is it possible to get the latest update in a file so i can select manually and update it?

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Pitch wrote:

Is it possible to get the latest update in a file so i can select manually and update it?

Yes. But you would need to use the Direct Updater via USB, cause it's designed to work with USB. Could you try USB connection again with the Direct Updater? H9 Control cannot work with the PitchFactor before it is updated to the lastest firmware. That's probably why the USB didn't work for you before.

Pitch
      Participant
      joshmq wrote:

In my experience (I have a pitch and time factor), if the pedal is not showing up on the updater or H9 control. its because the midi port your USB cable is plugged into on your computer (if you’re using one?) from the Pitchfactor is being blocked or used by another application. For example if you have a DAW such as Ableton open on your computer, its using at least one port, probably 2 or 3 ports if you’re using different midi contorllers/interfaces. If this is the case, you can turn off all the devices in the midi settings page of most DAWs, and this should free up the midi port for the pitchfactor.

Thanks Josh!

Tried everything above on my OS X laptop (logic and protools installed), turned all MIDI OFF. Didn’t work. Then tried again again on GF laptop, no DAWs installed, Windows 10. Didn’t work either. Tried on both computers to connect with both USB and MIDI methods. With Pitchfactor in UPDATE mode and without it. Same results. Eventide updater can’t detect my Pitchfactor. No luck. Any mode ideas? At this point i feel like put the update dawn is throat!

Thanks! 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.