Pitchfactor and Midi Clock

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Pitchfactor and Midi Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      airplant

Hello and Happy New Year!

I´m trying to find a stable workaround for pitchfactor to stay in sync with an external Drummachine (here Elektron Anlog Rytm).

The PF recieves the external clock from Anaog Rytm, there´s some latency but not critical. When starting a sequence (e.g. 2 bars),

sometimes Pitchfactor syncs with the beat and sometimes “off” the beat alltough the clock itself is correct, let´s say 120 BPM, so the delays will work fine etc.

But with HarPeggiator patterns need to get the same “one” (first note) as the Analog Rytm. Pitchfactor is in time but blinks “offbeat”.

So here´s my question: Does this have something to do with start/ stop message?

And if so can Pitchfactor handle these messages? The Drummachine supposed to send out such.

Will otherwise an external clock generator be neccessary/ better? And which one would you than recommend?

Here are my settings just in case I´ve missed something:

Software: 5.2.0

Global Tempo: Off

Midi Clock In: On

Midi Filter: On

Midi Recieve Channel: Off

Thanks a lot in advance, BTW I love the sounds of the Pitchfactor 🙂

Patrick

brock
      Participant

That’s an amazing unit.  From a quick scan of the manual, you could take this about as deep as you want to go.

airplant wrote:

… But with HarPeggiator patterns need to get the same “one” (first note) as the Analog Rytm. Pitchfactor is in time but blinks “offbeat”.

So here´s my question: Does this have something to do with start/ stop message?

And if so can Pitchfactor handle these messages? The Drummachine supposed to send out such.

I wouldn’t put much faith in exact visual sync between units + tempo LEDs.  Unsynchronized patterns are an issue, though.

Start / Stop for the HarPeggiator has been a feature request in the past.  I’ve seen one report that it’s already been implemented.  I’d have to re-test that myself to confirm (it didn’t work in the past).  If the Analog Rytm sends those messages, and the HarPeggiator does receive them, that would easily solve your problem.

I do know that Start / Stop is supported in the Looper algorithm.

airplant wrote:

Will otherwise an external clock generator be neccessary/ better? And which one would you than recommend?

I would think that you already have one of the more stable MIDI clock sources.  Even vintage drum machines outperform most commonly available clocks.

airplant wrote:

… Here are my settings just in case I´ve missed something:

Software: 5.2.0

Global Tempo: Off

Midi Clock In: On

Midi Filter: On

Midi Recieve Channel: Off

I don’t think you need the MIDI Filter ON for this setup (try OFF and recheck for ‘latency’ improvements).  MIDI Clock is channel-independent, but you will need to select a MIDI Receive Channel for the workaround that follows:

To ‘re-sync’ my HarPeggiator patterns, I’ll send a CC message [any CC number, CC value 64 to 127] to the FLEX switch.  Set it up in the PF system settings:  MIDI -> RCV CTL -> FLX.  Another right-click allows you to LEARN the CC sent by the drum machine.

The Analog Rytm can send CC (or NRPN) from any number of control types.  At the start of a track, pattern, or with a performance trigger or pad, you should be able to RESTART the HarPeggiator sequences externally from the drum machine.

airplant

Thanks brock! I really appreciate your expertise since I´m not that deep into Midi. I´ll try out what you´ve suggested.

Maybe you could give a quick note if you´ve checked out the start/stop implementation.

Best,

Patrick

brock
        Participant
        airplant wrote:

… Maybe you could give a quick note if you´ve checked out the start/stop implementation.

I just tested all this in isolation, using (what I believe to be) the latest software.  I pulled my PitchFactor and H9 from the ‘board, then sent Start / Stop from a vintage drum machine, as well as a couple MIDI controller devices.  The Harpeggiator patterns didn’t RESTART, but the H9 Looper algo responded as designed.

Here’s the reference post that I was alluding to:  http://www.eventideaudio.com/comment/24646#comment-24646  It may / may not be still under development, and slated for a later release.  That would sync up Harpeggiator patterns with your Analog Rytm when you hit the transport.

You may only have to send the CC message workaround for RESTART at the time you hit Play.  It could hold a stable sync from that point on.  (I’m not very familiar with your drum machine.)  Worst case, you’d have to send it at the start of every 2-bar pattern from the drum sequencer, but only if it drifts enough to become a problem.  I might be able to help with the general mechanics.  Let me know how this works out.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.