pitchfactor aux switch follow up question

Home Forums Products Stompboxes pitchfactor aux switch follow up question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      onusx

after further reading, if i understand correctly, aux switches can be assigned to control knob functions, and potentially i could assign multiple knobs to the same switch, then assign max and min values for these knobs– flex is a separate feature. to get what i'm going for i probably just need to make several different knob assignments on the different aux switches.

so my additional question now is:

will the knob assignments i choose be the same for every preset i create? or is it possible to have a different knob parameter change assigned to and controlled by the footswitches for each preset (this is what i hope.)

hopefully they aren't locked in for every preset– it would be frustrating if i programmed just the right change in delay time to a footswitch for one preset, but if that change was permanently assigned to the footswitch, so when i changed patches the same knob adjustment values created a totally useless sound.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The expression pedal settings can be different for each preset, but other remote controls are global, meaning that the settings are the same for all presets.

This suggests that you could try and use a switch in place of the pedal, but it may not give you enough flexibility.

onusx

i think i've basically discovered that i misunderstood some of the capabilities of the pitchfactor. i was surprised to find out that knob assignments were global, since the knob functions are so different for each effect.

i'm really hoping that this is something that can be addressed with software updates. for the time being i've been able to get some of what i am imagining by setting, for example, a different diatonic harmony interval for heel and toe on the expression pedal so i can get some of the moving harmonies that i want when i switch the unit on. the problem is that it takes away the ability to use the exp. pedal to blend from dry to wet, or to control delays and other parameters while still having different harmonies available.

it's silly to complain about limitations with a box as flexible as the pitchfactor, but it's also hard for me not to think about all the possibilities that would be there if the aux switches could be programmed to control different knob combinations for each preset.

is this impossible because of a memory issue, or something that could be included in future software? imagine being able to set up 3 different harmony intervals that could be triggered with the aux switches on the diatonic setting, and using the expression pedal to sweep from totally dry to wet with delay, and then banking up to a harpeggiator setting where each aux switch triggered a different pitch, effect, or rhythm sequence, and the expression pedal controlled the speed and/or key depth?

in my mind there are just a scant few things keeping this from being one of the best real-time effects/controllers ever. it's very close to letting you do a lot of the things that people are producing with studio effects, in real time, all with your feet… please eventide, follow-through on this potential!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

This illustrates the problems we face – some people think that these boxes are too complicated, whereas others think that they are not complicated enough.

For example, if we were to add unique remotes for each preset, this would reduce the number of presets that could be stored, and require you to reprogram the remotes for every preset. Unless you had other parameters allowing certain functions to be selectively made global …

For complete flexibility, our rack-mount units are a better bet. Stomp-boxes by definition have limitations.

onusx

i can definitely recognize the tradeoffs, and also that you're never going to make everyone happy, especially when it comes to the highly opinionated, subjective world of music.

would it be possible to allow the user to choose whether to have more full presets (the 100 that exist now,) or to use up those presets by stacking knob assignments within one preset? for me having less presets would be a fine compromise– i'm never going to use all 100 in one performance, and eventually, as i use the unit, i'll probably find myself loading and offloading presets to the memory from a computer.

i talked to a friend who knows a lot more about MIDI than I, and he said it might be possible to do what i want by making a different controller map for each preset; i guess i could assign as many knob parameters as i want to an external MIDI controller, and call up a different map for each preset, instead of just changing preset banks from inside the pitchfactor. does it sound like i'm understanding that correctly?

thanks for your time and work on these great stompboxes.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Thanks for your understanding and kind words.

Don't quite understand "stacking knob assignments".

Your MIDI mapping approach would certainly do what you want, and is entirely possible, but I don't know of a controller that will do this – hopefully your friend does.

onusx

i just meant, for example, that if i was going to make different MIDI maps for different presets, i'm sure for some of them i would assign multiple knobs to the same switch (or other control, since it could be anything…) like have a patch that had delay time and feedback both max out when you hit one button– the manual says you can assign any number of knobs to the same aux switch, if i understand correctly.

for the controller i'm assuming it's something we'd build; i'm not capable with MIDI at all (i'm a guitar tech and guitarmaker, pretty lo-fi guy historically, ) but my coworker is a genius with computer music, engineering, electronics and outboard gear; we've talked about making all kinds of crazy MIDI controllers using everything from optos and touch switches to synths and various computer algorithms. a friend of mine, a vocalist, built a MIDI controller mask that senses pitch change with a neck microphone, and receives other data from sensors activated when you move your head side to side, up and down, and open and close your mouth. the possibilities are pretty endless, using a computer as the brain, from what i gather. 

on the simpler side, do you guys know specific reasons that something like these foot control units wouldn't work? :

http://www.digitech.com/products/c8.htm

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-FC300-MIDI-Foot-Controller?sku=150244

http://www.directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=53577

this entire list looks really interesting:

http://www.synthzone.com/ctrlr.htm

i didn't carefully read the MIDI info in the manual yet, but i'm hoping that either the eventide computer software, or a 3rd party MIDI editing software, would let me make whatever maps i want and assign them to whatever controller i want. at least that seems to be the appeal of MIDI, but again, it's something i'd have to get some help with.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.