Pitchfactor Expression pedals too sensitive

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Pitchfactor Expression pedals too sensitive

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,

I have the pitchfactor, and notice that the sweep with both an Ernie Ball VPJR 25K (with a linear pot, I replaced it), and a mission engineering Areo EP-25 Pro, both have the same uneven sweep. 

The pedal is probably engaged only 15% but the pitchfactor is interpreting that as at value 50 of 100. 

I’ve tried calibrating the pedals.  The toe position does end at 100, and the heel position is at 0, but the value jumps to 80% only engaging the pedals around 20%.  Is there any solution to this problem?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Does sound like you still have a log pot. Would be helpful to have someone check it with a DVM.

camn
      Participant

A Multimeter. 

You should confirm they are linear.. though the EP-25 ships with a linear taper… so it would be unusual.

What pot did you use in the Ernie Ball? Also a 25k?  I know the H9 supports up to 25k.. but maybe try a 10k? 

They’re both 25K linear pedals.  I am going to try a 10K pedal.  I hope that’s what will do the trick.  I ordered a Mission Engineering EP-1.  It’s 10K linear, and I have a Helix so it will at least work with that I hope.

I got a 10K linear pedal and tried it.  Still too sensitive, and also will not calibrate past the value of “87”.  This is the 4th pedal I’ve tried with the PitchFactor.  Can anybody verify a pedal they’ve gotten to reliably work with the pitchfactor to use the Pitchflex effect?

camn
      Participant

Yeah that sounds wack.
      I use a Mission. SP-H9 without issue.

camn
      Participant

Ha ha with the H9. With the Pitchfactor ALGO.

I had been reading this the whole time as an H9 issue, cuz that algo has some expression pedal tracking problems sometimes.

Sorry man. I don’t even have a Pitchfactor. 🙂

I decided to give it one more try with a Mission Engineering EV pedal (specifically made for the pitchfactor).  I have the exact same problem.  This is the 6th pedal I’ve tried.  Can I send the pitchfactor to Eventide and have them attempt to resolve the issue that way?  I’d really like for this to work and don’t want to sell it to somebody else knowing that expression pedals don’t work right with it.

camn
      Participant

Maybe it would be worth a trip to a guitar stóre to try the exp with a different Pitchfactor pedal?

I’m considering getting this as a solution:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ExpMini–mission-engineering-inc-mexp-mini-expressionator-multi-expression-controller

If I can select the kind of taper and whether it’s a passive or CV signal, there’s got to be a combination that will work, and it takes the pedal out of the equation.  Anybody have experience with such a thing?

Well, I got the expressionator, and it shows me exactly what position the pedal is in.  While the level displays on the expressionator as evenly rising relative to pedal position, the PitchFactor STILL does the same thing.  The Expressionator shows 20% and the PitchFactor shows 60%.  Switching back and forth between log and linear shows me that the PitchFactor is even more sensitive in log mode.  

I’ve jumped through every hoop there is to jump through.  This is a problem with PitchFactor unit itself.  How can I get this repaired?

nickrose wrote:

Does sound like you still have a log pot. Would be helpful to have someone check it with a DVM.

The problem is that it’s 2 different pedals that do the exact same thing :/

nickrose wrote:

Check what?  And what is a DVM?

Herr Mosa
      Participant
      KentuckyThrash wrote:

nickrose wrote:

Check what?  And what is a DVM?

…if it’s log or lin – use a Multimeter (DVM) that can determine resistance values…

camn wrote:
      Yeah that sounds wack. I use a Mission. SP-H9 without issue.

You use the SP-H9 with the Pitchfactor or the H9?

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      KentuckyThrash wrote:

I decided to give it one more try with a Mission Engineering EV pedal (specifically made for the pitchfactor).  I have the exact same problem.  This is the 6th pedal I've tried.  Can I send the pitchfactor to Eventide and have them attempt to resolve the issue that way?  I'd really like for this to work and don't want to sell it to somebody else knowing that expression pedals don't work right with it.

Have you tried calibrating the expression pedal setting on your H9 (or in H9 Control)?

camn wrote:
      Maybe it would be worth a trip to a guitar stóre to try the exp with a different Pitchfactor pedal?

I looked online and no local stores carry the PitchFactor.  

bohan wrote:

KentuckyThrash wrote:

I decided to give it one more try with a Mission Engineering EV pedal (specifically made for the pitchfactor).  I have the exact same problem.  This is the 6th pedal I’ve tried.  Can I send the pitchfactor to Eventide and have them attempt to resolve the issue that way?  I’d really like for this to work and don’t want to sell it to somebody else knowing that expression pedals don’t work right with it.

Have you tried calibrating the expression pedal setting on your H9 (or in H9 Control)?

Yes, although I have a PitchFactor, not the H9.  

Here’s what I’ve tried:

– calibration (turning auto calibration off and on)

– plugging in the expression cable first, then power.

– updating the firmware.

– Different types of cables (stereo vs mono)

– 6 different expression pedals, 5 were 25K, one was 10K

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      KentuckyThrash wrote:

Well, I got the expressionator, and it shows me exactly what position the pedal is in.  While the level displays on the expressionator as evenly rising relative to pedal position, the PitchFactor STILL does the same thing.  The Expressionator shows 20% and the PitchFactor shows 60%.  Switching back and forth between log and linear shows me that the PitchFactor is even more sensitive in log mode.  

I've jumped through every hoop there is to jump through.  This is a problem with PitchFactor unit itself.  How can I get this repaired?

Thank you for all your feedback. We looked into this issue. We think this is a fault in the schematic design. So it is PitchFactor's problem, but not particular to yours.

H9 is different and doesn't have this problem. We think a 5k pot may work better with PitchFactor, but we cannot promise how much better it gets.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.