PitchFactor H910/949 Remote – MIDI CC Values

Home Forums Products Stompboxes PitchFactor H910/949 Remote – MIDI CC Values

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      brock
      Participant

I've uploaded a diagram & chart for the exact MIDI CC values that will control both pitchshifters [Pitch A & Pitch B knobs] in the PF's H910/949 effect.  This set of values matches the Chromatic mode in the algorithm, and emulates the MIDI / Remote control options in the original rackmount units .  HK940 keyboard not included.

PitchFactor H910/949 Remote – MIDI CC Values3300 x 2560 pixels – 272K .jpg

Thanks to Eventide for the extensive documentation found in the Clockworks Legacy manual.  Full disclosure:  I 'borrowed' the diagram in Section 7: Working with the Harmonizers – Playing the Harmonizers with a MIDI Keyboard (page 29) as one of the base images for this layout.

Practical examples include:

– Using a MIDI pedalboard to dynamically change shifted intervals with each switch.

– Creating custom 'HarPeggiator' patterns of any interval sequence, length, or rhythm.

– Triggered chromatic 'bends', or ramping up / down to any scale or sequence of intervals.

– Hammer-ons, pulloffs, and pedal steel-type effects via MIDI control.

– Wide trills of any two or more intervals; in the spirit of the HarModulator.

– MIDI keyboard control using an external MIDI Note-to-MIDI CC translation.

… and the proverbial "much, much more".

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      – MIDI keyboard control using an external MIDI Note-to-MIDI CC translation.

Here's Part II:

PitchFactor H910/949 Remote – MIDI Note Values  3300 x 2560 pixels – 289K .jpg

For this you'll need additional hardware or software [an event processor, or "munge" application].  If anyone happens to use the same device that I do – one from MIDI Solutions – I can be much more specific regarding the one-time programming process.

javiceres
      Participant

So a simple MIDI keyboard is not enough, right?

Brilliant idea anyway, congrats!

The links are all dead – any chance to re-post?

Thanks!

– Bill

brock
      Participant

Thanks for the interest.  I excavated them from a 5 year-old archived drive, in all of their gaudy, graphical glory. They’re far too large for this page, so rather than resampling the .jpgs, here are the direct links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9a28bz7rrgxafd/PitchFactor%20H910-H949%20Remote%20-%20MIDI%20CC%20Values.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9r09sunf8axe2ux/PitchFactor%20H910-H949%20Remote%20-%20MIDI%20Note%20Values.jpg?raw=1

Big fan of your work, Bill.  Ironically, I had worked out all of the Whammy4 MIDI CC ranges, cobbled them together in a sequencer, and even toyed around with some breadboards.  Then Molten MIDI (and its app) was released.  I was amazed once again when your product line exploded a few years later.  Cool, powerful offerings there.  Best of success in this emerging, but – for many reasons – still largely niche market.

I’m probably preaching to the choir here, but I mapped out CC values for many of the PitchFactor parameters in the same way.  The parameter ranges differ from algorithm to algorithm, so it makes for tedious and incomplete work.  But coming from a synth programming background, I found that to be standard fare, and well worth the effort.  With a little extra hardware, it comes very close to creating your own custom algos for the H9.

brock wrote:

Thanks for the interest.  I excavated them from a 5 year-old archived drive, in all of their gaudy, graphical glory. They’re far too large for this page, so rather than resampling the .jpgs, here are the direct links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9a28bz7rrgxafd/PitchFactor%20H910-H949%20Remote%20-%20MIDI%20CC%20Values.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9r09sunf8axe2ux/PitchFactor%20H910-H949%20Remote%20-%20MIDI%20Note%20Values.jpg?raw=1

Big fan of your work, Bill.  Ironically, I had worked out all of the Whammy4 MIDI CC ranges, cobbled them together in a sequencer, and even toyed around with some breadboards.  Then Molten MIDI (and its app) was released.  I was amazed once again when your product line exploded a few years later.  Cool, powerful offerings there.  Best of success in this emerging, but – for many reasons – still largely niche market.

I’m probably preaching to the choir here, but I mapped out CC values for many of the PitchFactor parameters in the same way.  The parameter ranges differ from algorithm to algorithm, so it makes for tedious and incomplete work.  But coming from a synth programming background, I found that to be standard fare, and well worth the effort.  With a little extra hardware, it comes very close to creating your own custom algos for the H9.

Thanks Brock!

Another forum member, kiwi, asked that I look into making a Molten MIDI type device for the Pitchfactor, so I wanted to see what was involved.

The Molten MIDI 2 and app was actually the second generation – I made a simpler version for a year or so before diving into that one!  You might dig G-Quencer where I took it to a new level…

http://moltenvoltage.com/products/G-Quencer_-_Revolutionary_DigiTech_Whammy_Controller_-_by_Molten_Voltage.html

The H9 looks like a possibility too, as it comes stock with the Pitchfactor harmonizer.  It’s too bad Eventide didn’t keep the MIDI assignments fixed like with the Whammy, but they chose flexibility which I also understand.

Anyway, thanks again, and I will keep the forum informed if I get something up and running!

– Bill

brock
      Participant

I’m fairly sure that I spotted the original Molten MIDI on the back page ads of some trade magazine.  But it sounds like I’m conflating that with the 2G device & app.  Either way, it was inspiring to see someone thinking along (& beyond) the same lines as my hacked-together setup.  And, yes, the G-Sequencer is some device; well thought out.  Probably the only reason I haven’t caved in and purchased it …  I’m juggling just as many exotic control devices on my ‘board & rack as I have pedals for destinations.

I found the Whammy4 programming to have some parallel – but not the exact same – ‘challenges’ as the H9.  At the time, I was stepping through all 7-bit CC values in a sequencer, with two tuners flanking the Whammy.  Start / Stop on the intervals within a given range of pitch shift.  Drop Tune is a small range, simple, and accurate (even up to quarter-tones and eighth-tones).  Octave & 2 Octave ranges (ascending & descending) were still reasonably accurate (+/- up to 10 cents, with the occasional 18 cents off).  Dive Bomb … up to 30-35 cents … deviations that you’re going to hear.  I never did attempt double-precision CCs with the Whammy.

I’ve ‘graduated’ to using the Knob value from an MPX-1 (or Novation controllers in Step Mode) to discretely pace through CC values one at a time, plus a MIDI monitor or two.  The H9 / PitchFactor ranges have their own oddities.  Some values of MIX, you’re just not going to get, even though the 0-100 range fits nicely within the 128 CC values (7-bit).  All the DELAY ranges differ, depending on the maximum delay time.  And it follows that thousands of millisecond values cannot be covered with only 128 CC values.  So, many precise delay values can’t be accessed directly via MIDI.  And understandably so.

But things like SCALE, KEY, PITCH MIX, and the chromatic stuff are easy to nail; even if you’re within 3-4 values of the target.  I have whole MIDI ‘board banks devoted to simultaneous KEY & SCALE changes for the diatonic algorithms.  Those kind of templates *breed* creative approaches.  The Eventide pitchbend implementation is forward-thinking, but there are quirky items to get past.  ‘Return to center’ values don’t hit UNISON, so it never really returns-to-center.  To be fair, that’s with 7-bit CCs, while 14-bit (and I believe a 12-bit CC) nail the landmarks quite accurately [14-bit PB supported].

I realize that you’ve probably programmed test apps in assembly for your own work, but I thought that I’d share my own experiences with the H9 / MIDI connection.  There may be some limitations, like don’t bombard it with parallel LFOs and high rates.  The displays give up first, as if it were an overload warning.  But overall, the sky is the limit with the Eventide’s extensive MIDI implementation.

question
      brock wrote:

– Creating custom ‘HarPeggiator’ patterns of any interval sequence, length, or rhythm.

I think this is one of the most interesting hints I came across in the forum lately (for me at least). I wonder if someone could elaborate this a little bit more. Is it related to “‘HarPeggiator” algo like with its Fx section etc, or solely means any custom arpeggios (without the inherent Fx part of that algo)?

Speaking of this, I’d love to be able to change arp patterns (ie making custom ones) from within the Control app. Existing ones are just fine, but as a trumpet player I’d like to have more low notes as a kind of accompaniment. I mean, more arpeggio choices in the lower registers because trumpet itself is a pretty high pitched instrument for the most of the times : ) 

“HarPeggiator” is the first algo I purchased for my H9. Actually that algorithm was the very reason I put my own R&D works of making my own software plugins aside for sometime and got a H9.

Although it has overlapping features with the other effects I think that algorithm mostly belongs to a whole different domain and opens a door for many new potential usage scenarios. Well… because it has a sequencer, with the magical word… “random”.

Eventide, please continue to develop HarPeggiator and its sequencer, like making the custom patterns available, or at least add more arp choices 8 ).

Warm regards

Q

brock
        Participant
        question wrote:

brock wrote:

– Creating custom ‘HarPeggiator’ patterns of any interval sequence, length, or rhythm.

I think this is one of the most interesting hints I came across in the forum lately (for me at least). I wonder if someone could elaborate this a little bit more. Is it related to “‘HarPeggiator” algo like with its Fx section etc, or solely means any custom arpeggios (without the inherent Fx part of that algo)? …

It’s hard to believe that this was nearly six years ago.  To answer your question, I was looking for ways to sequence pitch or effects in customized ways.  At the time, sequencers with MIDI Note output were the most common, and cost-effective.  There have been many more developments since.

Now, MIDI CC sequences are more available / lower in price & footprint.  Or sequencers / LFOs that use expression pedal input.  The fact is … you can sequence any of the H9 effects; within reasonable expectations. 

question wrote:
        … Eventide, please continue to develop HarPeggiator and its sequencer, like making the custom patterns available, or at least add more arp choices 8 ).

Warm regards

Q

I don’t know about the custom patterns … often requested.  ET is trying to strike a balance between ease of use, and depth of implementation.  But it’s encouraging to see developments like the the pattern popups, and especially the new GUI interface.  That alone inspired a new 50-Preset List for me.  And I’d heard they were working toward ‘live’ feedback on the FX section.  May be issues with that direct feed off MIDI Clocks.

I’d call that focus on continual refinement of the algorithms.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.