Pitchfactor MIDI control problem

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Pitchfactor MIDI control problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Atomicunderware
      Participant

I have just bought a PF, I already own a TF and MF. I am using a Moog MP201 to control all three, but there is a problem with the PF. When I map the first footswitch (effect/off) to an MP201 patch, the PF will only turn on – no matter how many times I hit the switch it will not turn off. The other two respond in the right way, but not the PF with exactly the same settings. Any suggestions?

achaput

What version of PitchFactor software are you using? (You can see this in System Mode, the last item in the UTILITY  menu.)

Atomicunderware
      Participant

I'm using version 2.2.0.

Atomicunderware
      Participant

I am using version 2.2.0, which is what was installed out of the box.

Atomicunderware
      Participant

Ok, so I updated the PF firmware, the issue remains. I also updated my TF to the new beta firmware – it now has the same issue! I left my MF, even though I would like to be able to use the foot-pedal midi option without having a jack plugged into the exp-pedal input.

So what is going on here? Only my MF is now acting as it should. I send a gate message to the unit from the Moog MP201, on the corresponding MIDI CC, set to FS1, and it it bypasses/engages correctly. Both the TF and PF just switch on. No matter how many times I hit the foot-switch on the MP201 they do not bypass, the effect remains engaged. They receive the CC, but just stay on. It makes no difference if I the MP201 is set to momentary or latch, and it also make no difference if I have the 'factors bypass mapped to FS1 or the BYPASS parameter, either way the result is the same.

Another thing to note is that both the TF and MF will engage even when they are not receiving a CC message to do so. ie, there is nothing mapped to either unit that will engage them, however, when I send a message to the MF to engage, the other two do too. They are all receiving on channel 1. This posed no problems with the MF and TF when I first owned them. If the unit was bypassed, it would still change to the new program being sent, but would not engage. With the new firmware they now not only change to the program, but also engage. Odd.

This is fairly complicated to explain, but is very frustrating. I want to have the MP201 as the hub controlling my 'factors and moogerfoogers. It seems the issue lies with the 'factors, as they can operate as I want, just not with the updates (and as yet, not at all for the PF). Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

achaput

Instead of mapping the MIDI CC to FS1, try mapping it to TOG (at the end of the list.)

TOG stands for Toggle and it will toggle Active/Bypass with each subsequent MIDI CC message.

Atomicunderware
      Participant

Ok, I tried the toggle function. It works, but not if I send a program change. So I would have to manually select the bank on the 'factor, then only be able to engage disengage it. As soon as I send a program change message, it does the same thing as if I had mapped either BYP or FS1, that is, it engages, but does not disengage. This is a problem, as I should be able to select the bank with a program change message, and then turn that patch on and off. 

The Modfactor, still operating on its original firmware operates exactly as I would expect it to. The only problem being that I cannot use the midi exp-pedal function without something plugged into the exp pedal jack – but that is a known issue. The Timefactor opreated in the same way, that is until I updated to the Beta firmware, now it has the same problem as the Pitchfactor. I really need this resolved – the two 'factors I bought functioned as I would imagine, but it seems with the updated firmware, they are losing that functionality, which is a big problem for me and the way I was hoping to use them – even more so as they are the core of my rig now. If there is any more information I can provide, I will, as it's hard to describe this. I can also make a short video if that helps.

tomasgunn
      Participant

Just to chime in  – Thanks for pushing this Atomicunderware.  I've been following this thread for a while as I have the exact same problem.  Right now I've got my factors in loops that are programmed per preset, but I would like to free up the loops.  I'm using a musicom mk efx2 to send midi program changes to the factors, but the factors always engage when I send a pgm change.

Incidentally, I'm also seeing an off by one error when controlling two factors from a master one.  From the efx, I switch the master [PF] to 12:1 and it in turn switches the others [MF, TF] to 12:2 even though that's not what the mapping specifies (12:1 should match to 12:1).  I don't mean to steal this thread though, so I'll start a new thread on that if I can't figure out what the issue is 🙂

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Atomicunderware:

Ok, I tried the toggle function. It works, but not if I send a program change.

Not really clear what your problem is. In what way does it not work if you send a program change ?

What do you mean by engage/disengage ?

What do you mean by "should be able to select the bank with a program change message" ? You cannot select a bank with program change – you can only select a specific preset.

Assuming by patch you mean preset, what do you mean by "and then turn that patch on and off " ? Do you mean bypass ? If so, how are you trying to do this and what happens when you do ?

A video is not required – just full information and clear terminology.

Atomicunderware
      Participant

Ok, I'm not a technician, so I don't know the correct terminology. I will write a more detailed reply, attempting to use the correct terminology when I get the time. But in simple terms – the original firmware that came installed on both the Timefactor and Modfactor worked as I would have expected (aside from the midi-exp pedal issue). The Pitchfactor, being a more recent model, does not. I updated to Timefactor to the beta firmware – it now has the same problem as the PF. So you have changed something between the release of the first two pedals and the Pitchfactor in regards to midi-implementation. It should be clear to whoever did the programming. Either way, their functionality to me has been severely limited by whatever changes were made.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

We have changed many things. It's a lot of work. Most people seem pretty happy with the results.

If you want help, please answer the specific questions asked in my last posting – otherwise, if we can't understand the problem, we can't do anything about it.

Atomicunderware
      Participant

I am making it work as it is, it's just more complicated, as I have to change the way my presets are set up to accomodate the change in the way the pedals function now.

On another note, are there recurring problems with the switches? The tap-tempo/bank switch on my PF failed for hours the other day. It would only let me scroll through the banks, and even then it was sensitive and wouldn't do it consistently. Any function that required it to be held (to enter setup or exit bank mode) didn't work at all. Eventually resetting the pedal seemed to help, but it's still not consistent.

achaput

If you continue to have the footswitch problems you mentioned it's best to contact support –

support@eventide.com

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.