Pitchfactor midi out to modular synth?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Pitchfactor midi out to modular synth?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Alwaysnew

Hi,

I tried sendig midi clock out from the eventide
      pitchfactor into The doepfer a190-2 with a midi ord from OUT/THRU to
      the module's midi input but nothing happened. What is the trick? CLK OUT
      is set to ON in the pitchfactor.

How would the a190-2 receive the signal? Like a gate?

Thanks

achaput

Hello,

You may have to check that the setting for the MIDI OUT/THRU jack is set to OUT and not THRU…

Alwaysnew

Thanks for your answer. It doesn't seem to make a difference though. Still no reaction in the doepfer. The parameter in the pitchfactor is set to XMT and not THRU. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Think you probably need to talk to Herr Doepfer – it's not really obvious what you are  trying to do.

Can't find a 190-2 on their Web Site, so, assuming that it is similar to an MSY2, it looks as though the MIDI clock from the PF would be translated into a SYNC clock signal. Note that PF has no reason to send MIDI start or stop signals.

brock
      Participant

Well, MIDI Channel selection wouldn't be an issue for MIDI Clock.   I hate to say this, but I see no MIDI Clock support listed for the A190-2 (either at this link, or found in the more in-depth manual).  Now, the A190(1) certainly seems to translate MIDI Clock into a 5V gate signal (link, and manual).  I hope that I'm missing something here, Alwaysnew.

You could test your connections by setting the PF to MIDI: CTRL XMT=ON.  Moving a knob after putting the A-190-2 into Learn mode should give you a variable voltage out of the CV4 jack.  Again, this will simply test if your PitchFactor is transmitting something, and your Doepfler module is receiving it.

Quote:
      Note that PF has no reason to send MIDI start or stop signals.

… but it sure would be cool if the RESTART flex/function/footswitch in the HarPeggiator mode could XMT/RCV a Start message, Nick.  Wink 

Alwaysnew

Thanks Brock! I got the test signal to work so I know there is communication between the two! The question now is whether it's going to get any more interesting than being able to turn a doepfer knob from a PF knob. What do you think?

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      The question now is whether it's going to get any more interesting than being able to turn a doepfer knob from a PF knob.

I think that's going to be about it.   The knobs, an optional expression pedal, or an optional 3-way auxiliary switch set transmitting CCs, or a pitchbend message.    But that's only considering the routing and components that you've mentioned.  I can think of some possibilities with a MIDI event processor (to translate from one message to another), but that would still require a few more devices in the chain to make it useful.

If you have this particular Doepfer module, then it must be part of a larger modular system (at least an oscillator, filter, VCA).  Maybe it's a full-blown A-100.  With a module like the A190-2, I would run a sequencer (or even a cheap MIDI keyboard controller) through the PitchFactor, and then into your modular synthesizer [changing OUTPUT from XMT to THRU].

The value of such a routing would be in sending the MIDI notes, velocities, pitchbend, CC messages to the Doepfer system to use as gates, triggers, variable CV voltages, etc.  At the same time, the CC messages and pitchbend could be 'borrowed' by the PitchFactor for synchronized effects.

This would be especially effective if the audio output of the Doepfer system was processed by the PitchFactor.  But it's an equally valid routing to have another instrument processed by the PitchFactor, and have it 'bound together' with the A-100 system by virtue of similar, synchronized movement.

Don't get me wrong:  Life would be easier here with sync via MIDI Clock.  But I can still see good possibilities in combining these two devices (PF and Doepfer) together.

Alwaysnew

Wow, great answer. Thank you! I will try this out and in the end I might try to find another module that will accept the right kind of message.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.