PitchFactor – Noise / Hiss

Home Forums Products Stompboxes PitchFactor – Noise / Hiss

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      dtirer

Just got a PitchFactor.  It is being very noisey / hissy.  I've tried plugging it straight from the guitar -> pitchfactor -> amp.  Still adds a lot of hiss.

Switches are set for 'guitar' and 'amp'.  'Source' is set for 'guitar'

Software 2.2.0[5]

I'm using the provided power supply

Any ideas why this is happening?

dtirer

Update:  When I change the 'bypass' to 'relay', the noise goes away while its bypassed.  However, when i 'actiavte' the pedal, the noise returns.  Sounds like a DSP problem…

bhaberman
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Hi dtirer, possibly a gain issue.  We have not experienced any hiss issues on our stompboxes.  I see Jerome in tech support responded to your question sent to support@eventide.com.  I will post his reply here for any others experiencing this issue.

There can be a small amount of hiss expected when using the PitchFactor in front of an amp, especially if you are using a high gain signal with a fair amount of distortion. Have you tried using it in the effects loop of your amp, if it has one? This could help. Additionally, you might want to try initializing the unit to try and clear out any problems with the unit, if this is the cause of the problem. The following procedures will return it to factory settings, however one will erase any user presets and the other will not, so pick which one you would like to do.
      Restoring Factory System Settings – CLEAR SETUP
      To restore System settings, power up ModFactor while simultaneously pressing the Right Footswitch and the Encoder until [CLEAR SETUP] is displayed.

Restoring Factory Effects Presets and System Settings – INITIALIZING
      CAUTION: This function will overwrite any Presets that you have saved.
      To restore Factory Presets and all System settings, power up ModFactor while simultaneously pressing the Middle Footswitch and the Encoder until [INITIALIZING] is displayed. 

dtirer

I tried all this and unfortunately it did not help.

I also just picked up a BRAND NEW TimeFactor and I'm having the exact same issue.  So i feel like I must be missing something here.

I've tried different guitars,  amps, and cables.  Still get the noise.

100nka

Hi,

I'm glad that someone is sensitive enough and notice the same as I did 😉

That annoying hum simply comes with eventide stompboxes. That is just the way it is.

And we have to live with it.

Kind nickrose called it " pretty good noise performance".

http://forum.eventide.com/cs/forums/t/6127.aspx

Since my chat with him I got used to it. In my opinion TF I'm using is the best delay on market.

Good luck!

dtirer

well thanks for this info.  Its weird cause all sorts of people say that they're completely silent.  So I don't really understand how thats possible.

Trazan

Yeah, whether they're "completely" silent or not would depend on usage and person. I prefer a very noiseless rig so I felt that the TF added too much hiss when used in front of the amp. No problems using it in the loop. Had I been using guitars with hot output I'd probably be fine with it in front of the amp though, but I often use low output single coils. 

If you don't mind adding a good clean boost in front of the Eventide, and push it closer to clipping, you can get that hiss down to inaudible.

jeffigueirinha
      Participant

Good morning, from Brazil, I have a PitchFactor and it has the same noise problems coming from the system, I used balanced cables and nothing changes, when I turn on the unit it works for a few minutes and then the noises start, I noticed that some effects accentuate the noises ( Harpegiador , Synthonizer , H910 / H949), already replaces the source, I used a sinusoidal UPS and it continues without conditions of use this unit, unfortunately.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

All electronic devices will make some noise, even a unconnected resistor makes noise. The trick is to give it enough signal levels so as  to drown it out.

With this in mind, first make sure you are running the latest software version.

Then, be sure you are giving it a good signal level. Make sure your guitar is running at full output, and you should see the red level light on the pedal flash occasionally.

Running it in an effects loop will help, if available. Try different cables as well. Run it in the simplest possible configuration ( guitar-pedal-amp) and see if it is still a problem).

The gentleman from Brazil may have a hardware fault – normal circuit noise will always be there – it won’t come and go – not that compression effects will make it worse.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.