PitchFactor Not Recognized By Factor Lib

Home Forums Products Stompboxes PitchFactor Not Recognized By Factor Lib

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      JipThePeople

I installed Factor Pedal Lib V1.8.0 on Win XP SP3 and my pedal is version 2.3.OC2J. I need to back up presets before I perform the software upgrade. I have installed the Update Utility 1.6.0 build 13 as well. 

Not sure if my issue is that I need to download the MS Vis C++ pkg or not. 

Any help is appreciated.  

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

In what way is it not recognized ?

How is it connected ?

Have you tried different cables ? If not, please do.

On FactorLib, what do you see in the "Comms Preferences" box when you select "MIDI/config" ?

Can you see it under Control Panel ?  (Look under System/Device manager/Sound Video and Game Controllers – it should appear as Pitchfactor or "USB Audio Device".

JipThePeople

Connected via USB cable and Windows recognizes the device (I see it in Device Mgr).

I want to a) Save my presets and b) update to the newest software.

Please advise.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Please answer ALL the above questions.

timothyhill

JipThePeople:

Not sure if my issue is that I need to download the MS Vis C++ pkg or not. 

Just curious, but where did you get the idea that you needed to install an MS VC++ package? Not saying you're wrong, just curious to know why you think so…

And yes, it really helps to know all we can about your system, so please answer all of Nick's questions so we have a better chance of helping you.

JipThePeople

Page 5 of FactorLib User Manual. There is a link at the bottom.

JipThePeople

Yes I have tried another known good cable. the "Comms Preferences" box when you select "MIDI/config" lists my Line 6 UX2 hardware. 

timothyhill

Try disconnecting the UX2 as well as any other MIDI hardware you have attached to your system.

JipThePeople

Thx for all the feedback and recommendations. I disconnected the Line 6 device and now the Lib app > MIDI > Config had nothing available in the drop-down menus and says there are no MIDI devices avail/connected.

timothyhill

JipThePeople:

Page 5 of FactorLib User Manual. There is a link at the bottom.

If FactorLib starts but fails to recognize the PF, installing MS VC 2008 Runtime will not solve this. The VCRT is required by the program to execute under Windows. If the VCRT is missing, the program won't run at all.

timothyhill

Try rebooting your computer and restarting the PF. Also, ensure that MIDI CLK OUT is set to OFF (PF UM 51), although I doubt that's what's causing this.

JipThePeople

CLK OUT was set to OFF and I have tried rebooting. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I have a nasty suspicion that this may be an example of a rare USB problem we have with a small number of XP systems, where the unit is only partially recognized. We are looking at this but are short of  ideas at present (meaning no timescale available).

Given that your main priority is a one-time back up of presets before installing new software, you might want to consider finding a friend with a computer (pref not XP) and having them back up your presets for you.

timothyhill

Well, I'm at a loss here. Maybe the new version of FactorLib (1.8) isn't compatible with the software on your pedal (2.3.OC2J). I'm not familiar with that version, so I'm not sure if updating will overwrite your presets (the last few pedal updates haven't, but like I said, I'm not familiar with your version).

If you have access to a different computer, you might try that. Just to make sure…

you're using WinXP-SP3;

you're using FactorLib 1.8;

you've detacted all external hardware from your computer (except keyboard and mouse, of course);

you've tried more than one known-good USB cable;

you're tried rebooting both the computer and the pedal;

the PF does show up in the Windows Control Panel;

but nothing's listed under Comms Preferences in FactorLib.

I think that covers the questions that Nick asked earlier, so maybe he's got some more ideas. The only other thing I can think of is making sure you've got all the latest Windows Updates from Microsoft installed. You mighy try applying the pedal updates, but I can't promise that they won't overwrite your presets (I don't know). If you go that route, you may want to write down the settings for the presets you care about the most. I know that can be a time-consuming process, but it's better than losing them. In any case, you can try contacting Eventide support directly:

support@eventide.com

(201) 641-1200 from 9:00am to 5:00pm (Eastern), Monday through Friday

http://eventide.com/AudioDivision/Support.aspx

Har
      Participant

One other thing to make sure of – though you may well have already but just in case – is to make sure you're plugging straight into your computer and not through a USB hub. Of course, if you already are – moot point.

I know these things can be touchy – I originally had problems getting my PitchFactor to be recognized so I could just run a software update on it. I'm running XP here myself and tried every possible thing (with the help of Eventide's support, who are awesome!).

I finally got it going using my wife's computer instead of mine. it's also running XP, but is a much newer one – I personally suspect my own older computer's USB ports might not be running at full USB2 spec so might have been part of the problem. Or not. Hard to say! :-/

But mainly, +1 to Tim's suggestion with contacting Eventide support directly if need be. When I did for my PitchFactor, they stuck with me all the way through trying everything including their suggestion to finally try the different computer, which did the trick. 🙂

timothyhill

Har:

One other thing to make sure of –  is to make sure you're plugging straight into your computer and not through a USB hub.

Good catch, Har, and thank you for pointing out something that I'd completely forgotten!!

Quote:

I have a nasty suspicion that this may be an example of a rare USB problem we have with a small number of XP systems.

Nick, I can't say I'm terribly surprised by this either, and it makes perfect sense. I've seen a number of older computers that were supposedly USB2.0 compatible, but weren't. In my experience, it affects most if not all USB2.0 devices and not just Eventide pedals. The only solution I've found is to either add a newer USB2.0 PCI card or replace the computer, neither of which is a feasible solution for most musicians. Unfortunately, about the only thing to suggest is to try a different computer. Thanks for helping to explain this fortunately uncommon situation.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.