PitchFlex Gated FX and “Time Warp Delays”

Home Forums Products Stompboxes PitchFlex Gated FX and “Time Warp Delays”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      brock
      Participant

I just stumbled upon this idea, and I thought that I'd share.

The A and B voices in the Heel & Toe positions (PitchFlex algorithm) can be set to OFF.  So – at 100% wet – the voices can be gated between silent and UNISON with the FLEX switch.  This can lead to Van Halen-esque PUP switching effects, freeze/sample snippets, or guitar phrases without attack or release.

Of course, you can go in the opposite direction, with the "gate" being normally open.  This setup is a little little more difficult to control with an expression pedal.  The gate closing triggers at PDL -> 100 (full Toe), rather than PDL -> 0 (full Heel).  The gate "hold time" is controlled by H-T Gliss and T-H Gliss.  0.01 seconds for instant gating.  Up to 2.00 seconds for a delayed gate threshold crossing.

I ran into this concept while emulating some of the Digitech XP-300 Space Station algorithms.  You can come close to a few of the Time Warp Delay effects with PitchFlex (even closer with Crystals in a 2nd PitchFactor or H9 pedal).  One simple example:

Here, the Shape parameter can play a more audible role than it does in the gated effects.  Using the FLEX switch here is more glitch-free than expression pedal control.  The Gliss parameters actually glide, along with the hold time from the gate FX above.  It works just as well gliding downward – from up an octave or two – and in the normally open or closed configurations.

As an aside:  I don't see much in the "rare classic" XP-300 that can't be closely duplicated (or improved) with one or two H9s, or some combination with a PitchFactor or Space pedal.  I'm going to give it a shot at emulating all 40 algorithms in the XP-300 (starting with the easy ones, like the Sonic group).

KCStratman
      Participant

Very cool and great screen shots. How would you set up the Crystals algorithm to do this "(even closer with Crystals in a 2nd PitchFactor or H9 pedal)"? I think it is a great idea to use the ET stompbox system to recreate entire classic effects units within a preset list and thanks for sharing the presets.

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      How would you set up the Crystals algorithm to do this "(even closer with Crystals in a 2nd PitchFactor or H9 pedal)"?

I'm working off the XP-300 YouTube demo videos, so this is a work in progress.  I'd start off with a preset like the first one below; in a PF or H9 upstream.  Then I'd follow it (in series) with a 2nd PitchFactor or H9 pedal downstream; using a variation (second image below) on the previously posted TimeWarpDelay1TB preset.

Preset A (in series)

Preset B (in series)

That routing will pitchshift the reverse delays, rather than reversing the pitch shifts,  Either way sounds interesting, but the latter will change the direction of the incoming pitch shift.  Bind the same expression pedal to the Crystals Mix knob (see above), and the PitchFlex FLEX switch function simultaneously.  There are several ways to do that.  I prefer an external MIDI pedal.

This is a loose emulation of the XP-300 Space Station Algorithm 12 [Warp -> Time Warp Delay – Stop/Reverse].  It can use some fine-tuning.  The idea is to mix from forward input to reverse delay, while shifting up in pitch from -2 octaves to Unison.  The XP-300 Algorithm 13 leaves an equal amount of dry signal in, so the expression pedal mapping for that algo would have the Crystals Mix knob reduced to a 0-50 range.

As I said, not a perfect emulation yet, as full Heel is not a complete Stop (zero signal present).  That said, I use a variation of that Crystals preset (alone) all of the time.  I increase the Delay Times to 2000 ms., or 1/2 measure, and reduce Feedback levels to 0.  There's something very expressive about actively sweeping from forward to reverse under foot control.

coirbidh_99
      Participant

Fantastic!  I've been missing my old XP-300, and since DigiTech seems unlikely to give us a reissue, finding a way to approximate its effects would be a BIG plus in the "buy an H9" column.  Could you give us some audio samples of your emulations-in-progress?

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      Could you give us some audio samples of your emulations-in-progress?

I suppose there's a YouTube video in my future featuring some garish footwear on an expression pedal. Wink  But, no – I haven't recorded any audio clips just yet.  I got a little sidetracked with emulating a Lexicon Vortex and Tommy Bolin's live Echoplex manipulations.

But I have managed to work out the S&H filter algos and many of the Sonic group "belltree"-type pitchshifters.  I should probably compile these in another thread, when time permits.

coirbidh_99
      Participant

Vortex emulations would also be relevant to my interests. =)

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.