polyphonic pitch shifting

Home Forums Products Stompboxes polyphonic pitch shifting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      gt
      Participant

Any chance of getting a stereo polyphonic pitch shifting algorhythm?

Check out the way the electro-harmonix pitch fork tracks. And I’m sure you guys could reduce the latency.

Thanks – gt

gt
      Participant

After reading the posts on polyphonic pitch shifting I am appalled that no eventide products (even the racks) can do it.

Not only that – the people responding from eventide do not even seem to understand what polyphonic pitch shifting is.

I shall add once again to check out the Electro Harmonix Pitch Fork pedal (which costs around $100) to see how well it tracks entire chords – in fact complete full band audio sources.

For a company like Eventide that is heavy into harmonizing, I say – For Shame!

gkellum
      Participant
      gt wrote:

Any chance of getting a stereo polyphonic pitch shifting algorhythm?

Check out the way the electro-harmonix pitch fork tracks.

One of my colleagues had talked up the idea of doing an algorithm like that in the past, although I don't think he had the electro-harmonix pitch fork in mind when he was describing it.  It certainly would be useful, although what people have been requesting more often have been a Univibe algorithm or another multi-FX along the lines of SpaceTime.

I think there were some forum posts in the past where people were asking for polyphonic pitch detection, but that's not actually what's needed to implement something like the pitch fork.  

gt
      Participant

OK whatever you want to call it or not call it – any chance of coming up with an algorhythm that does what the pitch fork does? I really could use a high quality one in stereo.

Thanks – gt

gkellum
        Participant
        gt wrote:

OK whatever you want to call it or not call it – any chance of coming up with an algorhythm that does what the pitch fork does? I really could use a high quality one in stereo.

Well, I'll forward this forum thread on to my colleague who was talking up this idea earlier, and next time we have a discussion about future H9 algorithms I can bring this up.

Given To Fly
      Participant

I am curious how the words “polyphonic pitch shifting” are being interpreted by both the OP and Eventide. 

gkellum
        Participant
        Given To Fly wrote:

I am curious how the words "polyphonic pitch shifting" are being interpreted by both the OP and Eventide. 

Well, there are different techniques one can use for pitch shifting;  this short wikipedia page gives a general overview of the different techniques:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_time-scale/pitch_modification

We assumed given the example of the Pitch Fork, that what was being requested was a frequency domain, phase vocoder style pitch shifter with some improvements.

Given To Fly
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

Given To Fly wrote:

I am curious how the words “polyphonic pitch shifting” are being interpreted by both the OP and Eventide. 

Well, there are different techniques one can use for pitch shifting;  this short wikipedia page gives a general overview of the different techniques:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_time-scale/pitch_modification

We assumed given the example of the Pitch Fork, that what was being requested was a frequency domain, phase vocoder style pitch shifter with some improvements.

Given the fact there is a picture of an Eventide Harmonizer on that Wikipedia page, plus the fact you seem to know exaclty how the Pitch Fork works, and “polyphony” was part of an answer to numerous test questions when I was in college, I’m going to go out on a limb and trust that the small fluffy dogs know what they are doing and why they are doing it!

As an aside, it one Univibe algorithm not enough?   sad

Adamixoye
        Participant
        Given To Fly wrote:

As an aside, it one Univibe algorithm not enough?   sad

I could not agree with this more.  Another Univibe or something like Spacetime would be absolutely last on my list for new algorithms…I want to know who is asking for these things.  And also their addresses, so I can personally knock on their doors and ask them to stop.

bansta
        Participant

You can try to knock on my door, bro: there is no UniVibe-Algo on H9. At all…

Vim_Fuego

Actually I have the pitch fork and the Whammy DT and for me the Whammy does a better job. But I agree, I’d definitely buy a polyphonic pitch shifter algorithm. I have a number of pedals I’d like to replace with the H9.

gt
      Participant

Thanks gkellum

And just to clarify – it should be able to “pitch shift” an entire true stereo signal (with multiple instruments) in semitone increments (or not) in a range of plus and minus 1 octave. No warbling and as little latency as possible. I have the feeling that if anyone can do this, you can. I also suspect many other people would be interested in this algorhythm. Currently I believe there is nothing out there like this. Cheers. gt

Given To Fly
        Participant
        gt wrote:

Thanks gkellum

And just to clarify – it should be able to “pitch shift” an entire true stereo signal (with multiple instruments) in semitone increments (or not) in a range of plus and minus 1 octave. No warbling and as little latency as possible. I have the feeling that if anyone can do this, you can. I also suspect many other people would be interested in this algorhythm. Currently I believe there is nothing out there like this. Cheers. gt

Oh, I understand now! That is not what I thought it was though. My rule of them thumb is to be playing more notes and than the machines are playing and I believe this breaks that rule. blush

adammwhite
      Participant

I wanted to revive this topic. A polyphonic algorithm would be killer. I’ve never really understood why the H9 doesn’t/can’t do polyphony. BTW, what pretty much everyone means by this is the ability to handle/track chords the way a POG/HOG/Whammy/Pitchfork can. It would be killer if the H9 could do this. I know there have been other threads on this that question if it’s just something Eventide hasn’t chosen to impliment, or if you guys don’t understand what people are asking for/it just hasn’t bubbled up as important enough, or if it’s not technically possible (hardware wise, but that doesn’t seem likely). Just thought I would ask:)

bansta
      Participant

Poly Pitch Shifter + Formant Pitch Shifter Algorythm would be the killer!

Even in the BOSS DD-500 there is a polyphonic pitch.

patroclo75
      Participant

I have found that chords tracking of the H9 (with PitchFuzz and H910/H949 algorythms) is better with my Fender Telecaster (vintage reissue single coils pickups) rather than with my Gibson LesPaul (P90 pickups). Changing the source instrument type also results in better chords tracking (less “warbling” effect) when I use the Les Paul: I have found that Bass or Synth Bass instrument type setting is better than Guitar, that produces more “warbling” effect. The pitch settings that I use the most are: -1 octave, +1octave and +P5, all three simultaneously but more often only one pitched signal of the three mixed with dry sound; anyway I have found that chords tracking is “worse” with the high above octave, especially with minor chords (for example E minor in first position) Notice: I mean “worse” in a relative way because the warbling effect, that is more audible in this case, could like or not depending on the sound you are looking for; with fifth above the chords are better tracked compared to the +1 octave setting, even when playing minor chords, but still not perfect in my opinion. Anyway, I have found several settings to obtain the sound I want (I often play chords and arpeggios with pitch shifter and need less “warbling” effect) placing a little bit of chorus and some reverb after the pitch shifter and working with H9 algos. I have attached an image of a preset that works well for me as a starting point and maybe could be useful to someone else.

P.S. In stereo configuration a cool feature could be the possibility of panning the pitch-shifted voices right and left like in the Rocktron Intellipitch.

wink

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.