Power Supply For All!

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Power Supply For All!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author
      batflash

Hey Everyone!

I've just been working with a fellow that goes by the name of Joseph Logsdon on a power supply for my pedal setup. He has successfully created a SMALL solution for what I'm currently running. I, like many of you, have a big issue with the size of the wall wart on the XFactor pedals. In my situation i needed something high current, isolated outputs, room for expansion, quiet, and reliable. While reputation for reliability is something that comes with time, I can say that I've had the end product for a month now with no problems. I just recently used it on a 6 hour session, tucked away underneath my pedalboard, and it worked quietly and flawlessly.

Just to give you and idea how hard I'm pushing the power supply I'm running: Eventide's TimeFactor & ModFactor, Electro-Harmonix Hog, Line6 Verbzilla, Seymour Duncan ShapeShifter, Tech21 Double Drive, Mi-Audio G.I. Fuzz, and running on the AC convenience output are an Electro-Harmonix White Finger and Digitech JamMan.

In short, what I had custom built for me is a PSU with:

2 isolated 9.6V  outputs@85mA each

2 isolated  9.6V(switchable to 12V) ouputs@650mA each

1 isolated 9.6V(switchable to 12V) output@250mA

1 three prong 120V AC convenience output for those other goofy pedals.

I really just wanted to give everyone a good heads up that Joe has worked long and hard with me and provided awesome, awesome customer service. His price was very reasonable, and his efforts and accomplishments for a quality build come second to none. I'll try to post some pics of my setup soon. He can be found on ebay, myspace, and at logsdonaudio.com.

I figured the least I can do is help out Joe and and his great efforts and help out my fellow Eventiders with a great product to power up all of their pedals.

Thanks,

Bats

TubeAmped

That's great and all, but how much did that set you back?

Thank you – Mike

batflash

Hey Mike,

I guess it really depends on what you want on your supply. To start, it's a custom power supply. You can have him add whatever will fit your needs.

Also, because of how finicky the Eventide and Electro Harmonix pedals are, we went back and forth with getting the design right. He added parts and not to mention added hours of labor to get the unit working in perfect order. I can recall emails where he said he bought more parts to accommodate my pedals' needs and he didnt' charge me for it. My price was a modest $145. Compare that to what you'll spend on thegigrig and Voodoo Labs' supplies. It's pretty fair. Not to mention the Logsdon supply takes up less space and he's got a satisfaction guarantee. Working for a big corporation myself, I can say that finding that kind of service is few and far between.

All in all, if you add up ampres, we're talking close to 1800mA. Which is a pretty impressive output. It's noiseless even compared to the OEM adapters.  The enclosure he used, by the way, was a 7.5” 4.75”x1.5”. It's short enough the fit under most pedalboards, and comes with pretty long cables of your choice. He custom made me reverse polarity 2.5mm cable for my Factors and Hog at no charge. Pretty nice. Daisy chain cables might cost a little more, though because his cables have noise filters built into each connector. 

Again, I'll say, what he charged me may be more or it may be less than what he'll charge on average. I'm not sure. Talk to him and let him know your interested, I'm sure he'll work with you. Here's his ebay page.

Take care,

Bats

TubeAmped

Thank you for the information.  I will have to look into this once I put my pedal board together and have a better idea of what my final needs will be.  I just ordered a PedalTrain Pro and will get it in the mail tomorrow.  In addition to some Boss pedals and Dunlop 535Q Wah, I will also have a Mesa/Boogie V-Twin pedal, Morpheus DropTune pedal, the Eventide TimeFactor, and TC Electronic Nova Delay.  I am going to figure out how I wanna lay the board out and then figure out how I wanna do the power.  I also ordered the Planet Waves patch chord kit for the pedals and will be using a couple of 1Spots for now.  I definitely can appreciate what this guy is doing for power supply needs out there.  Thank you, again, for that information.  I will definitely be checking this guy's stuff out!!!

Later – Mike

batflash

No problem Mike.

Every time Joe would send me an email updating me of the progress I got excited. I know, I know, over power! 🙂 I was just excited to get rid of the clutter. I'm probably so happy about getting everything going because i had 5 wall warts going on with my setup. Not to mention the use of all the batteries on the little pedals. Plus, I feel like I just play better when my setup looks clean. I've gotta say that now that I've got everything hooked up neatly, I'm really stoked to just hop on my rig to stomp on pedals. I also recently finished up with wiring the setup with canare and G&H home made cables. Whew, loving it!

Good luck with the setup. Oh, as for those one spots, I hear if you use a one spot per digital effect you shouldn't have any noise issues. Mess around with one and see what kind of results you get. Who knows, you might get lucky with it.

Take care,

Bats

Hi TubeAmped,

You've got som hungry pedals on your board … You mention Mesa/Boogie V-Twin pedal, Morpheus DropTune pedal, the Eventide
      TimeFactor, and TC Electronic Nova Delay. Maybe our brand new CIOKS DC10 is something you should consider. You wan't be able to power the V-Twin with it but the remaining 3 should be ok. I don't know the exact current draw of the Drop Tune, it's stated to 500mA @ 12V DC, but usually the manufacturers state more then the measured value. On the DC 10 you'd have additional 4 isolated sections with 9V DC and 100mA each for your other standard 9V pedals.

Regards,
      Poul Ciok
      poul.ciok@cioks.com

laskyman

@CIOKS-

Can a DC10 power all 3 Eventide factor pedals simultaneously, and do you have infor on $$$ and USA acvailability? Looks like a nice unit…….

batflash

If you speak with Joe at Logsdon Audio, he'll be able to easily make one that'll power all three pedals all in a small enclosure. Again, it's been a few months now and I still love my unit. I just added an Electro-Harmonix Riddle Q-Balls to my setup and it still runs great. Thanks Joe!

-Bats

22uf

I contacted Joe and he's building me a custom regulator quantum that will power all three of my Eventide stompboxes and the other 8 pedals on my board.  Very excited to ditch those heavy wallwarts!    

batflash

Great! Sounds good! Just make sure that some of those other 9V outputs are isolated so that those funny/stubborn pedals are ok with each other. For example, some fuzzes like their own isolated output and some digital pedals like their own isolated output. I've been pretty lucky with my setup so far. I will say that after some testing, my Electro Harmonix Riddle isn't too friendly with fuzzes. Or, maybe my fuzz isn't friendly with my EHX Riddle? So, I've currently hooked it up to the courtesy outlet(3-prong output) that Joe placed on my box. Highly recommended for those funny pedals.

All in all, I'm glad to see him find a solution for you. Again, if anything goes wrong, he was always there to help me out as I'm sure he will be for you.

Take care,

Bats

mpovoden

ALSO!!!!!

Check with Daniel and GigRig for his Generator, Distributor and EvenFlo's – VERY potent and powerful and he's an excellent person to speak with…  I've been sourcing a number of options out and this little box seems to be the best solution.  The EvenFlo's are meant specifically for the Eventide stomps, and the "Generator" itself creates 5A of power for all pedals.  VERY promising and I'm working with Daniel right now to get a solution for my board's design and its powering.

GigRig – check them out…

Best,

Mo

laskyman

I also have been working with Joe on a custom regulator (Quantum style) "Factor 3+" to power my board. So far, my experience in working with Joe has been exceptional. If his product is as rock-solid as his customer service, there will be no need to look elsewhere for any power related purchases ever again.

My custom power supply has 3 isolated/regulated  9.6 -600ma outs for my 3 Factor Pedals, plus 3 isolated/regulated 9.6 -100ma outs,and 2 additional 9.6 -100ma outs which share a ground. Should be done soon, and preliminary pictures look AWESOME.

THANK YOU BATS for the tip.

EVENTIDE- You should be promoting the good people at Logsdon Audio who make it possible for a gigging musician to power the investments they have made in your products with a powerful, yet affordable and professional power supply. Its a NO BRAINER if you own all 3 Factors……..

mpovoden

Just FYI, the GigRig "Generator" with its "EvenFlo" distributors offers max 1200mA to each pedal as opposed to 600mA.  Maybe check them out too – seems Daniel's got QUITE the following in the UK with Eventide users and pro musicians.

Mo

batflash

In response to the GigRig, they've got a great thing going. Between their response to customer's needs and their different powering possibilities, I think you can't go wrong. I will say that they are expensive. It's hard to know what you need exactly as far as isolation goes, so might end up buying too many virtual batteries or not enough. Again, their price, from my perspective is their only drawback. I love the idea of customizable distribution, and the fact the IF you DO need isolation for a new pedal, you can place a order for a Virtual Battery without having to update your main power supply. But it's going to cost ya.

In comparison to the Logsdon power supplies, I think if you know what your plans are for your pedalboard, the Logsdon units are a great, inexpensive alternative. And like Laskyman said, his customer support is awesome. Also, the Logsdon unit is so small that you can fit it

discretely underneath your pedalboard.

The Cioks is just underpowered for three Eventides. Same with the Voodoo Labs stuff.

I don't want to give anyone the impression I'm badmouthing any other companies, I'm just making educated observations. I think all of these companies are doing great things for different players in different situations. It just so happens that us Eventiders are in one of those odd situations. We need the mA!

Again, I've got two pedals and I loved them enough to pay what I paid to have a power supply built for them. High five to Eventide.

Good Luck to all!

Bats

mpovoden

Just before I throw down on the GigRig and all its accessories, I will send an email to Logsdon and see what he says…  Just in case, ya know?  What I think impressed me with the GigRig was a) FINDING IT after all the research and nonsense in having PS manufacturers always coming back with "it'll only power 'x' not all 3 at once" not to mention some other hungry mouths on my board (EHX, etc).

I'll check it out – seems thus far to be highly recommended.

Thanks,

Mo

Dreamsy

I'm not sure that I understand well your plan with the gig rig, but you'll 3 evenflo to power all 3 eventides, I thought of the Gigrig for my rack but it's quite exepensive finally.

mpovoden

Before deciding on the Pedal Train Pro, what other boards and manufacturers did you look at?  I'm liking the look of the Trailer Trash boards, but not keen on the fact that they require me to send all my gear down to them to get it done…  Not to mention, they're pretty pricey as well.

Your thoughts?

Mo

laskyman

I researched pedal boards extensively before I finally had one custom built by NYC Pedalboards. I have had my board for over 2 years, built durable, clean and a great value. Check out their website- they may have something for you-

dtirer

I just got in touch with Joe about power 4 pedals:  2 eventides, 1 whammy, and my TKI Loopholic.  He quoted me $170 for it.  Seems very reasonable.  Just kinda pull the change together for it!

Hi,

I just checked out some prices on GigRig web site. If you would like to get a solution which will power 3 Eventides and 4 other standard 9V pedals and you'd like to run all these 7 units isolated, you'd need following: the Generator with distributor pack-1, 3 Evenflows, and 4 Virtual Batteries. This will end up in $159 + 3x$69 + $99+$39 = $504!!! Ups….

CIOKS DC10 will do the job for $230 in one box instead of 9 boxes on your board not to mention alll the connections inbetween. From an engineering point of view every connection is always a weak point and a potential risk for failure. You need space for these 9 boxes, you need to find a way of attaching them to your board. I'm just trying to imagine how it would look. If you don't use the Virtual Battery boxes for standard 9V pedals but the Distributor only, you're just daisy chaining the pedals, if I understood the concept right, and in that way the pedals are not isolated.

Just my thoughts about the GigRig solution.

Regards,
      Poul Ciok

mpovoden

Thanks P. Ciok…

It does seem as though your product is well equiped to manage most situations with the demanding Eventides and so forth, but my concern is MAXIMUM amperage for the 'Tides and my other hungry pedals.  Rather than assume they'll not need more than 400mA, I'd prefer to know that the PS will offer whatever pedals I have their maximum quoted consumption rate.  Having said that, the GigRig seems to deliver – bar none.  Your CIOKS product looks great – nice and clean – but it's still not to the output I'd like for my board.

As for a few posts up regarding my plans with the GigRig and the EvenFlo's, that's exactly correct, 3 EvenFlo's, a distributor, etc.   But it all has to tuckk nicely under the rack too.  I haven't heard back from Logsdon.  But I'll wait until I do in case matters seem more effective with his program.

Bob Bradshaw made a good suggestion – if there's enough space under the board I end up getting, just power everything with a PPP or a PP2 and for the Eventides, stick 'em in a Furman PlugLock bar – done.

Mo

laskyman

Here is a picture of my board being powered by a Logsdon Custom Regulator…..what I can tell you is that he has been absolutely fantastic to work with. We have been through several different designs to arrive at the current unit- check out the picture- and "Thank  You" Mr Logsdon for the killer supply…just in time for some important live dates!

http://s715.photobucket.com/albums/ww159/laskyman/Pedalboard%202010/?action=view&current=IMG_0471.jpg

grozeil

It could be nice if you'd post a photo of that power supply. I guess he could sell a bunch of them if it fits under a Pedaltrain…

batflash

Since we're sharing, this is what my Logsdon is powering. I'm having Joe add a couple of outputs to my unit so until I get it back I can't take any shots of it.

Yes, I know, I need a bigger board. Big Smile Pedaltrain Pro, I'm coming your way!

fkalich
      Participant

One PS would be nice.  However, only so many bucks nice as far as I am concerned.  I just have all three power supply's on one 6 outlet circuit breaker, the three power cords connected with bands to keep them together.  I just switch on the outlet switch when I want to use the eventides.  My other  pedals are powered by one 2amp power supply, connected to  different multi outlet circuit breaker along with the amp. When I just want to keep things simple, practicing stuff, I switch on the latter.  Eventide has the nice feature of passing the signal when no power is provided.  As the Eventides are pricey, I just leave them switched off and covered when I am not using them.

achaput

Eventide now offers a compact, quality regulated linear power supply which is
      capable of powering up to 3 Eventide stompboxes plus up to 4 additional
      9VDC/100mA pedals. It carries a 5 year warranty from the
      manufacturer (Cioks.com) and comes with the additional cables required to
      power 3 Eventide stompboxes and the special mounting plate for
      PedalTrain pedalboards.

Check it out here:

http://eventidestore.com/cidcacliposu.html

DavidYates

Hi Poul-

I just acquired my 3rd Eventide 'Factor and I'm ready to put it all on a pedal board.

I'm an electrical engineer and have done a lot of work in power supply design, so my questions may be more specific. I like the idea of your box, and given the amount of work it takes to get it "right" I'm more than happy to buy yours. I was in the middle of research on designing my own when I came across your company.

Here are my questions:

Each 'Factor has a rating of 1200mA @ 9V and I was sizing my power supply design to accommodate that. Will a 400mA power supply really work with the 'Factors? I'm a bit concerned with starving these things or running your supply over its rated capability.

How much isolation do you have between the supplies? Most of my design work is around medical grade power supplies (for patient contact) and I'm accustomed to seeing leakage and dielectric specs when something is called "isolated". Can you please give me some insight to that? I realize you don't need medical grade isolation to avoid ground loops in guitar pedals… But I'd like to understand how much isolation you have designed and tested in your product.

I have a couple of other pedals I want to power with your supply as well, the DigiTec JamMan looper and two custom pedals (my own design, a compressor and distortion pedal) that require 24V (isolated). Can I configure the other, non 'Factor outputs as 12V and "stack" them to give me  (2) 24V isolated supplies? I would build a custom cable to perform the stacking.

A lot of questions, I'm hoping you'll be able to answer easily. Your solution would be ideal for me, I'm looking forward to your answers and getting it all together!

Thank you,

David

Hi,

Regarding current draw, here’s a comment
      from an Eventide technician:

waltz replied on 6 May 2010 9:18 PM

Our stated power requirements were based on an early
      prototype and are overly conservative. We've done extensive testing and we have
      updated the spec as follows:

MF, TF, and PF can operate from a 5W power source that supplies regulated 9 to
      12VDC max.

The minimum required power ranges from a maximum of 4.5W at power up (all LEDs
      lit) to about 3.6W in normal operation depending on how many LEDs are lit.

For a regulated 12VDC,

the current requirement is 380mA at power up and 300mA in normal operation. Do not
      use unregulated 12V.

For a regulated 9VDC,

the current requirement is 500mA at power up and 400mA in normal operation.

Regarding isolation:

Normal

false
      false
      false

DA
      X-NONE
      X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

All isolated sections are galvanically isolated.
      This means each section has its own secondary winding on the transformer and its
      own power supply circuit with rectifying, filtering, regulation and monitoring.

Regarding you specific needs:

Normal

false
      false
      false

DA
      X-NONE
      X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

You’re asking for a bit too much with 3 Factors,
      a JamMan plus a 24V pedal. The Eventides need quite a lot of power and the same
      is the case with the JamMan, but on top of it the JamMan needs an AC voltage to
      operate. Then you have a 24V DC pedal also with quite high current draw. My
      suggestion is therefore one DC10 and one AC10 for your rig. Even with the right
      configuration of outlets with voltages and current ratings you need this can’t
      be done in one unit having a 30VA transformer. Eventides need 3 x 0,3A x 12V =
      approx.10,8W plus 24V x 0,2A = 4,8W, which gives 15,6W x 1,5 = 23,4VA, plus the
      JamMan which needs approx 7VA, so that is just barely possible but with a
      custom made transformer and a custom made everything else…

DavidYates

Poul-

Thank you for your reply here and to my email message.

This looks like a very nice product, and it can handle a LOT of different situations. It looks like I need several to handle my power hog board layout.

Still in the planning stages then…

ctc

batflash:

…I've just been working with a fellow that goes by the name of Joseph Logsdon on a power supply for my pedal setup. He has successfully created a SMALL solution for what I'm currently running…I can say that I've had the end product for a month now with no problems….I really just wanted to give everyone a good heads up that Joe has worked long and hard with me and provided awesome, awesome customer service. His price was very reasonable, and his efforts and accomplishments for a quality build come second to none…

What is your opinion of the Logsdon power supply after two years?

batflash

I moved on to something bigger. I'm now using a Cioks PP-10(or equally as great a DC-10). I can't say enough good things about this supply. It's the quietest PSU I've come across. Been using it for a few months now. It's powering everything but my TC Electronic Nova Dynamic and MXR EQ.

You can't see it, but there's also a Korg Pitchblack Tuner on the lower right hand corner.

My 4 biggest concerns were powering my HOG(it's very finicky), my Eventides(very hungry), and my Q-balls(very noisy if not isolated). Again, everything is super quiet, and I'm lovin' it. Hope this helps.

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.