Power Supply for Factors

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Power Supply for Factors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Weed_

Hello,

I am building a pedal board and have had many noise issues with pedal board in the past.

Right now signal chain goes: Guitar -> CryBaby wah -> Digitech Whammy 5 -> G-lab Boosting Compressor -> T.C. Nova drive -> Source Audio EQ -> Amp -> Fx send -> Modfactor -> TimeFactor -> Fx return

Every pedal have it´s own original power supply except for Compressor, Eq and Wah and are powered out of one new 500mA Boss power supply.

Now, I´ve already experienced hum today, with wah which I ended up powering with battery. Also eventides made noise when they got near to power supplies as did wah, even now on batteries. My question is, would eventide power factor 2 solve all of noise issues including wah and can it be placed under the pedals on pedaltrain 2? 

Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – can't really honestly answer this either way. You have a complex setup, which may have any number of wiring or power supply issues which cannot easily be diagnosed remotely.

I would recommend that if you continue to have trouble, you have a local tech look it over.

Weed_

Thanks for reply!
      Let me make the question simpler, right now, I get hum even when only time and mod factor are connected in fx loop and no pedals between preamp and guitar. It´s more of a hiss that I already learned from this forum seems to be normal. However it is when powersuplly is near Factors that I get hum. Is this normal with original power supplies?

madmac
      Participant

This is normal.  You will get interference from any power supply straight into your audio cables if they are too close.  Also all digital pedals will create some noise.  You might be better off buying a decent isolated power supply or move all of the wall warts away from your pedalboard.

Weed_

So, if I buy cioks made Eventide Powerfactor2, can I place it under my pedal train and get away without hum, or will it be the same?

I ve seen lots of pedal boards with voodoolab and t rex power supplies mounted under the pedals, but would just like to make sure, I am not spending 300e on power supply that will give me same noisy sound.

Thanks

madmac
      Participant

Weed_:

So, if I buy cioks made Eventide Powerfactor2, can I place it under my pedal train and get away without hum, or will it be the same?

Thanks

Some power supplies are designed better and perform better than others.

I have a decibel 11 hot stone deluxe under my pedal train and it powers 2 x H9's and other overdrives etc it delivers clean power and I've never had any issues with it.  You can't be guaranteed that a new power supply will eliminate all your noise issues as the source of your hum may not be power related but a good quality power supply and audio cables is a good start.

Goldmember
      Participant

Hi,

I have the Eventide Powerfactor 2 and it works totally fine with the H9. It´s set to 12V and I use a 400mA output for it. It´s also powering all my other pedals and everything is silent as can be.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.