powerfactor questions

Home Forums Products Stompboxes powerfactor questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      grahamstuart

Hi there,

I have been salivating over the prospect of owning a SPACE unit, to go with my timefactor and pitchfactor but powering it would be a hassle. My pedal board already has a voodoo pedap power 2+ but I have running an extension cord out of the courtesy out to power the eventides using the supplied walwarts.

I would love to add a space pedal, but the ps issue will be huge. I noticed in a namm video that Alan appears to be powering the space and other factors through a cioks DC10, is this the unit that will be rebranded as the powerfactor? or is it a burkey flatliner?

Any idea of a street price for the powerfactor? I read the msrp for the Space pedal is $500 USD.

Looking forward to both units, but the powerfactor is my next eventide purchase:-(

How many factors will the "powerfactor" power? 

I would hope that I would be good to go with my time, and pitch units, though would be sad if it won't power 4 because I want the Space pedal, but can't turn down the mod factor sometime later.

bhaberman
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Hi grahamstuart, PowerFactor can power 3 TJs and 4 9v pedals. It is manufactured by Cioks and should be available toward the end of February.  Street price, $220. 

Space is $579 MSRP, street price of $499, and should also be available by the end of February.

bhaberman
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

I should have said stompboxes, not TJs.  Smile 

timothyhill

I can't help but think that it would be a good thing if the PowerFactor could power all four Factor pedals, but from a business/manufacturing viewpoint, I can understand why the first versions don't. Maybe in a future revision? I can at least hope… and one wall-wart and a power supply, or 2 power supplies, is/are better than 4+ wall-warts.

Is the power supply for the new Space pedal the same as the other Factors? Same voltage/current requirements? If so, the wall-warts replaced by the PowerFactor could become back-ups.

guitarlesson

For the record, I could build a decent power supply for about $20 in part, and could NEVER justify a 1000% markup.

So many things in the music industry are over-priced: power supplies, switches, most analog effects, etc. (Eventide stomp boxes are the exception since there's no way I could build one myself.)

For those of you wanting a good power supply, learn a little electronics, buy a soldering iron and google some schematics. It's not that hard and will save you $$$$.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

timothyhill:

Is the power supply for the new Space pedal the same as the other Factors? Same voltage/current requirements?

Much the same.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

guitarlesson:

For the record, I could build a decent power supply for about $20 in part

If you could build this one for $20 in parts, we'll buy them from you. Don't think so ..

guitarlesson

OK. I'm prone to slight exaggeration, so I did some homework. $20-$30 for an acceptable transformer, $10-$15 for diodes, resistors, regulators, project box, etc. $45 max is my estimate. Even with 100% markup, that's $90. $220 is still robbery.

But this is not a critique on Eventide. Not your fault. The scamming is all over the place. $100 for a volume pedal? $150 for an analog effects pedal? 

I'm just saying people need to embrace the DIY spirit.

Josh Fiden

Let's assume $45 is correct for materials. Now you need labor to assemble it. You have spent time designing this power supply. It may seem trivial, but you need to consider heat, performance and reliability under different power line and loading conditions. Of course it will be compliance tested by a lab. How are you going to market the power supply so people know that it is available? Will you buy a magazine ad? Don't forget to write a manual. And people will call you with lots of questions, so plan on plenty of time for this. What cables are included?

After this and much more, you will sell it to a shop and hopefully make a profit. Then the shop will sell it again to the end customer and also make a profit. Do you still think it can sell for $90?

DIY is great. I started experimenting with electronics when I first became involved in ham radio at age 13 and never stopped. It's fun, you learn a lot, and it feels good to use things you have made yourself. But it's not for everyone. If you don't have fun, it is no bargain.

Regards,

Josh Fiden

http://www.voodoolab.com

guitarlesson

And admittedly I'm not figuring in the markup from factory price to suggested retail, which almost never becomes the actual end price.

I guess I need to make clear that I am in no way suggesting people make a living with DIY. I could care less about the money end. I do it for the fun and the personal savings, and that's it.

It's funny, whenever I talk to people about DIY who make electronics for a living, they get all upset. Like when I was talking to Mr. Cusak of Cusak Effects at the local music store. (I've known him for years by the way. I don't just go up to pedal manufacturers and harass them.) I was looking at an aux switch for $45 and told him I could make one for $10. He gave me this lecture about how doing it myself might save me some cash but hurts the economy, blah blah blah…

I'm just saying with all the overhead going from manufacturer to retailer to consumer, and everyone in that chain wanting a piece of the $$$, a person such as myself with a brain, a soldering iron, not a lot of money and some determination is much better off building it themselves… because you're right, people should only do it if it's fun. I think a lot of people would find it fun if they gave it a try.

By the way, on a side note, you to make some great stuff. I look forward to hearing more about your new pedal switchers, particularly the 8 loop model. I tried making a midi controlled relay switcher once using my trusty Arduino microprocessor, but ran into snags in the programming. I look forward to trying yours out.

shredus

I have one Eventide pedal (TF) Is it correct that I could power this plus 6 ordinary 9v pedals from the Powerfactor?

I don't suppose it can handle an old Boss DM2 (these used the ACA adapter) from one of the 12v outlets? 

shredus

Bump!

shredus

Anyone? Indifferent

Imerkat
      Participant

I just use the Furman PlugLock for the eventide pedals. 50 bucks and a OneSpot for my 9 volts 25 bucks and that takes care of 14 pedals on my board.

privateland

Hi

I am travelling to the US in a couple of weeks. I'll be in NYC & Orlando over the course of three weeks. Is there anywhere in one of these areas I could purchase a PowerFactor retail?

Thanks

John

bhaberman
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Hi John,

You can try the below, all have been shipped PowerFactors, though I can't say for sure if they still have stock.  We have stock and you can have any Eventide dealer order one for you or purchase direct at http://www.eventidestore.com.  Also, Musician's Friend and Sweetwater may have stock.

NY: PG Music (http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi)

FL: Bass Central (http://www.basscentral.com/2003/index.php)

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.