Powering all 4 factors?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Powering all 4 factors?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      ryantic

My apologies if this has been addressed already but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.  Is there a way to power all 4 factors off of one power supply.  I currently own all 4 but haven't yet set up my pedal board to house all of them due to a lack of an easy way to power them all.  My pitch and space sit idly by and have yet to be used in a live setting because I don't feel like using more wall warts.  

I didn't purchase the power factor yet because I was hoping maybe one would come out specifically for all 4 pedals, or that maybe someone else would ask this same question and come up with a solution.

However, I was curious if possibly the power factor could be made to do this if I made a 4 way parallel cable to come off sections 4,5,6 and 7.  Technically that should allow for the same output as one of the dedicated factor outputs.  But maybe there would be unwanted noise or something? I don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pv_fan

I have all four factors as well. I am also curious if there are any options out there to power all four simultaneously. In our case it defeats the purpose of buying the power factor if you still have to use one wall wart on your board. The only pedals I use are the Eventides and the four wall warts are kind of a hassle. I am truly a rack guy at heart and always have been but since been converted. I like the flexibility and portability these pedals offer without needing a midi pedal. Now if we could have just one power supply to cover all the exiting pedals and maybe room for some future ones it would make a lot of people happy.

ryantic

I finally found an answer to this question but it's not the best. Voodoo Lab has a power supply for this very purpose, the pedal power digital. The only problem is its impossible to get. I ordered one from two different places over the past week only to receive phone calls later that they made a mistake and the units are on back order until march.  Hopefully somebody gets them in sooner. 

pv_fan

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate your research into this. I was able to check out the specs and watch the video and think it will work well. The price of $139 was really attractive as well. It sounds like you will be getting one before me so please give us an update and let everyone know what you think. Big Smile

nvoll
      Participant

Isn't the Pedal Power Digital only capable of handling up to 2 Factor pedals? It looks to me like it has thus even less capability than the PowerFactor (which unfortunately appears to top out at powering 3 Factors plus some other stuff).

If I'm understanding the variety of forum postings on this topic correctly, it sounds like the 400 mA supply current only works with 12V mode. In 9 V mode, each traditional Factor (other than Space) seems to want 1200mA  (according to the specs in the manual and consistent with the included wall wart power supplies).

It seems that Space is somewhat different than the 3 named "Factors". It has a dedicated tempo button and appears to draw quite a bit less power. but still 500mA in 9V mode. (as indicated by the specs in the manual as well as the power supply that ships with it. Space also runs an OS designated as 4.x – which just might hint at what's to come for the other factors. At least I'm hoping, since I like the patch assignment and switching user interface metaphor on Space (100 linear program slots without banks) much better than on the 3 traditional Factors (50 banks with 2 program slots each)..

ryantic

As far as I understand it, all the eventides actually draw somewhere in the neighborhood of 350mA at 9 volts so the 400mA / 9v supplies suffice. The Voodoo Lab website / video says it can power 4 eventides.  Here's a video of a timefactor having its current measured at 9 volts.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkISu3NBRH4&feature=youtube_gdata_player 

nvoll
      Participant

@ryantic: Just curious, do you have the link where the claim of powering 4 Eventides simultaneously  is made?

Interesting video – what makes me wonder, that the entire test is conducted in mono / single channel configuration, therefore at least theoretically only half of the DSP calculations required compared to stereo? If I interpret the documentation and my own observations correctly, Eventide pedals have input and output sensing that adjusts the algorithms and behaviors of the pedals depending on input and output cabling.

Also, there may be a higher draw during startup than later? I noticed that being mentioned in more than one place.

The video also didn't say which version of the OS the test was conducted with.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.