Pre/Post Bypass Path

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Pre/Post Bypass Path

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      kingb

Hi – Looking forward to using the new pre/post function.  Wondering if the side that is OFF still goes through the convertors when Relay bypass is in use…? 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Relay bypass affects everything, so is unchanged by Pre/Post.

kk66

May be the question was a little more deep, I will add one more question about the same matter:

1) when using the new PRE/POST feature a couple of IN/OUT jacks are bypassed while THE OTHER IS     WORKING allowing the signal to go through the effect. Which kind of bypass do we have here on the bypassed SIDE of the pedal? Digital, Relay or may related to the kind of “general” bypass mode chosen?

2) Same question about the new DRY/WET option: what kind of sognal flow through the DRY out?

To get an hard by-pass in those situation I guess it would require the H9 to have a twin indipendent bypass relay, one for each L/R side of the pedal… is this the case?

Thanks for your help.

lrebolledo
      Participant

Hi Nick, just for clarification. Let’s say that the H9 is activated in “pre”, wired up through input/ output 1. Input / output 2 are of course also wired up although not in use … but the signal still needs to go through them so as to not break the chain. Are input / output 2 relay bypassed or does the signal run through the converters again?

So basically, does pre/post routing mean that the dry signal must run through the digital converters twice? Thanks.

kingb

Understood – if the unit is off – but what about when you have the “Pre” (channel 1) on, is channel 2 still in relay bypassed (and vice-versa)?  

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

In the hope of answering the above questions:

1) There is essentially only one bypass relay, so relay bypass will bypass both inputs, regardless of routing. Sorry – you will have to use DSP bypass in most cases to use Pre/Post or Wet/Dry.

2) In both Pre/Post and Wet/Dry, the dry signal comes straight from the appropriate input(s) and is only digitized once.

kingb

Hello Nick – that sounds a bit contradictory.  

If this is the setup:  H9(pre) > distortion pedal > H9(post) …  then the signal IS digitized twice.  

Once on the i/o for the pre and then a second time for the i/o on the post – regardless of where we place the effect (in the pre or post mode).    So it sounds like there’s an internal mixer that will now “hard pan” the effect based on the pre (side A) or post (side B) setting. But the signal will always be going through the convertors when the pedal is engaged.  Is that a correct assesment?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You are of course correct. Without two separate bypass relays it cannot be otherwise. I was thinking of Wet/Dry – apologies.

But, I'll bet that our digits probably sound better than most other things in your signal chain.

kingb

Hi Nick – thanks for the confirmation.  And yes, your 1’s and 0’s are pretty awesome!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.