Preset Communication Error and a Multi Monitor issue

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Preset Communication Error and a Multi Monitor issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Michelle911
      Participant

so far this has happened on only two presets.  the Resonator preset Beecuz and… uh, I didn’t make note of the other preset blush oops.  When I come across it again I’ll edit this. otherwise, my midi connection has worked flawlessly.

a screenshot of the error here

and the multi monitor thing…  I’m running H9 Control on a ‘non primary’ monitor… I have 5 monitors (my computer is crazy) and I have several ways of assigning windows to appear where I need them (DisplayFusion, AutoSizer, and my own scripts that I write in AutoIt).  For the most part I’ve been able assign some of the child windows to appear in the correct spot i.e. the preset save windows (there’s two of them) using AutoIt only, but other child windows, such as the ones that appear when using the Eventide Store will sometimes crash the whole program. I noticed something funny I’ve never seen in any other windows program, the child windows ClassName ends in a seemingly random 10 digit hex number on every instance.  so in moving windows the title has to be matched and not the class name (which I’ve found to be less reliable)  phew…. ok that’s it 🙂

oh, and I’m Loving my H9!

gkellum
      Participant
      Michelle911 wrote:

so far this has happened on only two presets.  the Resonator preset Beecuz and… uh, I didn't make note of the other preset blush oops.  When I come across it again I'll edit this. otherwise, my midi connection has worked flawlessly.

Well, that communication error means that H9 Control has sent a message to your H9.  It's expecting the H9 to reply and say it got the message, but the H9 hasn't replied.  What are you doing when you see this error?  Changing parameters?  Saving the preset to the H9?  

Michelle911 wrote:

other child windows, such as the ones that appear when using the Eventide Store will sometimes crash the whole program. I noticed something funny I've never seen in any other windows program, the child windows ClassName ends in a seemingly random 10 digit hex number on every instance.  so in moving windows the title has to be matched and not the class name (which I've found to be less reliable)  phew…. ok that's it 🙂

If I remember correctly, you're working on Windows. What version of Windows are you working on?  Is it just the store child window that's crashing?  Or any other windows…  I wasn't 100% from your description if you wanted to direct our attention to the fact that some child windows are causing crashes on your system or the difficult you've been having to have them moved to the right display in your multi-monitor setup.

Michelle911
        Participant

yeah, actually all I’m doing is trying to load the preset.  not trying to change it or save it any way.  simply clicking on it throws the error.

as to the child windows and the crashing… sorry I wasn’t clear, yes, I’m on Win764bit, it’s only crashing as a direct result of ME trying to move them to the monitor in front of my guitar rig.  I’ve written an autoit script that simply waits for the windows to appear then it moves them to the monitor I need them on.  works, except for the store windows.  it makes control crash.

as I seem to maybe be trying to re-invent the wheel I should ask, is there a better way to assign h9 control to whatever monitor I need it on?

thanks!

gkellum
        Participant
        Michelle911 wrote:

yeah, actually all I'm doing is trying to load the preset.  not trying to change it or save it any way.  simply clicking on it throws the error.

Hm. After you see this error message, can you continue working?  Does just clicking on the same or another preset cause it to load successfully on the H9?  Or do you need to restart your H9 and the app?

Michelle911 wrote:

as to the child windows and the crashing… sorry I wasn't clear, yes, I'm on Win764bit, it's only crashing as a direct result of ME trying to move them to the monitor in front of my guitar rig.  I've written an autoit script that simply waits for the windows to appear then it moves them to the monitor I need them on.  works, except for the store windows.  it makes control crash.

as I seem to maybe be trying to re-invent the wheel I should ask, is there a better way to assign h9 control to whatever monitor I need it on?

We've never had this request come up before. I think the reason you are having trouble with the store Window is that it keeps changing its title to show the URL of what it's connected to.  But I suppose it's not really necessary for it to do that.  It could just show PayPal or something like that.  Maybe, then you'd be able to use your script to move it?  Or maybe it would crash still?  Hard to say without trying…

Michelle911
      Participant

oh thanks for the quick reply!

I can continue working after the error.  no need to restart.  but there’s actually no way to load that preset successfully, after the error the box is still on the previous preset.

I can imagine I’m in the minority here with the need to move windows around…

gkellum
        Participant
        Michelle911 wrote:

I can continue working after the error.  no need to restart.  but there's actually no way to load that preset successfully, after the error the box is still on the previous preset.

Do you mean it's a problem with one particular preset?  And this one preset never loads successfully?  If so, it would be helpful if you could export this preset and send it to us so that we can take a look at it.  With the preset selected, if you press on the More button in H9 Control, there's an option to export a preset.  You could email it to my user name plus @eventide.com.

Michelle911
      Participant

Yes,  except for the fact it’s more than 1 preset.  there’s at least two.  I didn’t make a note of which preset until it happened twice.  Anyhow, I just sent the email off.

thanks again!

oh, and as to my multi-monitor thing, I think I got my script all working now!  I just posted too soon 🙂

gkellum
        Participant
        Michelle911 wrote:

Yes,  except for the fact it's more than 1 preset.  there's at least two.  I didn't make a note of which preset until it happened twice.  Anyhow, I just sent the email off.

I tried to reproduce the problem you were having loading the preset you sent me — Beecuz — but I couldn't.  It loaded fine for me.  And I looked at the preset file, and it looked ok.  All the values seemed appropriate.

I'm asking myself if your MIDI connection to your stompbox might not be 100% rock solid.  I know you were experiencing some noise when connecting via USB, but it would be helpful to know whether you see the same behavior when connecting via USB.  

By the way we had another user run into the same noise issues with USB, but they were able to solve the problem by getting a USB isolator.  Here's the forum thread:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/modfactor-usb-noise

And here's the isolator they got:

Michelle911
      Participant

Intersting…. I will try what you say and report back… I’m thinking there is something wrong with midi here (tho I can’t imagine what, my midi works great between my daw and my keyboards/drum machine, audio interface and footcontroller)…  but I’m guessing you’re right because when I try sending midi CC messages to H9 Control it just crashes.  I can’t get any of my midi devices to talk to H9 – Axiom Air49, Axiom25, TriggerFingerPro, and what would REALLY be cool, consider this on my wishlist 😉  is my Source Audio HotHand midi controller.  I would dearly love to use that with my H9.

anyhow, I’ll try what you said and maybe have to buy an isolator…… or wait for my IGs…  the electrician is sort of a friend so he’d be doing it for nearly nothing

Michelle911
      Participant

ok, well… first, that works!  I can load Beecuz now…. but, I’m getting a communication error when I start H9 Control via USB…?  I don’t understand that as I’m using the same cable and same everything and I didn’t have this issue before trying it with Midi cables….  what’ also surprising is that I can still control the app after hitting OK to the communication error…. but I still can’t get any of my midi devices to work.

I did order the isolator tho.  but now I don’t know what to do, it seems I’m having issues with every way there is to connect… 🙁

gkellum
        Participant
        Michelle911 wrote:

ok, well… first, that works!  I can load Beecuz now…. but, I'm getting a communication error when I start H9 Control via USB…?  

Do you still have MIDI connected at the same time?  The USB port and MIDI jacks share one physical underlying port, and one can't use both USB and MIDI at the same time.

Michelle911
      Participant

no,  definitely not connected at the same time

gkellum
        Participant
        Michelle911 wrote:

no,  definitely not connected at the same time

Hm. H9 Control is likely still searching for the H9 over MIDI and that might be bogging things up.  If you click on the Settings button in H9 Controls menu bar and go to 'Reset Settings', clicking the 'Reset All Settings' button will make H9 Control forget the MIDI port it was looking for the H9 on.

The only other things it could be are the obvious humdrum problems: bad USB cable or the computer is not picking up the fact that something's been connected to the USB port…  I sometimes have to plug and unplug stuff to my laptop 3 – 4 times…  That just started a year ago or so…  Somethings not quite right anymore…  It can be helpful to take a look at the Device Settings screen to check if the H9 is showing up there as an USB Audio Device…

Michelle911
      Participant

Ok, I should have tried that.  ‘Reset Settings’ allows me back in H9 control again without the communication error, with the new added weirdness that H9 control doesn’t display the pedal name anymore (lol not a biggie I guess but I fiddled with that for some time, it’s gone back to showing the serial number even tho the name is correct in the settings AND the name is gone when I go back to midi too).  BUT more importantly, and unfortunately, my midi devices still won’t connect to H9.  Yes, H9 is showing up in device manager…  and there’s no unknown devices or anything like that.  I also keep track of unplugged USB devices and make sure there’s no duplicates in hidden devices… and I’ve tried swapping USB cables too.  I’m not plugging H9 into a USB hub or anything, it goes straight to the motherboard….  I’ve checked/tested all my midi devices in MidiOx just to make sure everything’s plugged and sending midi, and I’ve never had any issues in my DAW or standalones.  Not sure what next… but my USB isolator should be here tomorrow according to tracking, so there’s that at least 🙂

Michelle911
      Participant

sigh… I think I have another bad H9.  I got my isolator today, works for the hum like my ground cut USB cable, but still the high pitch noise.  after messing with cables for long enough I realized that wiggling the cord in the USB jack would make the noise cut in and out.  tested on three cables.  is it me? or does the eventide god hate me?  crying

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.