problem connecting to bluetooth with new version of H9 Control

Home Forums Products Stompboxes problem connecting to bluetooth with new version of H9 Control

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      zwolf
      Participant

Hi there –

So I downloaded the newest version of H9 control and was excited to check out connecting to my H9 from my desktop computer (mac mini running 10.7.5) via blue tooth. But I can't get it to connect. When I try, I do see my H9 listed under bluetooth devices (type is listed as "unknown") but when I hit "browse" I always get the message, "there was an error connecting to this device".

I've tried putting my H9 right next to the mac mini to see if a reception/proximity issue but that doesn't make a difference. I am using the eventide power supply.

Any thoughts?

thanks

337is

I'm also having a Bluetooth connectivity problem when trying to connect via my iMac. Things seem to hang at the pairing stage where it appears to connect briefly but always ends up displaying "Pairing Failed."

-Pedal Version: V 4.8.0

-Control 1.6.1.2 on OSX 10.9.5 (iMac)

I've emailed Eventide technical support on this and am waiting to hear back. In the meantime, I'm curious to see if other H9 users have discovered any pertinent information for zwolf's and my situations.

gkellum
      Participant

You guys are entering the last four digits of the serial number of your H9 as the PIN, correct?  Just like pairing from an iOS device, it does need the correct PIN.  

I'm running OSX 10.9.4 myself, but I'll upgrade to 10.9.5 and see if I start having any of the problems you've described.

gkellum
      Participant

Also, try turning Bluetooth on your H9 off by pressing the X, Y, and Z switches simultaneously and then turning it back on again by pressing the X, Y, and Z switches again simultaneously.  If the H9 is already paired to another device, you won't be able to pair with it from a Mac, and toggling the Bluetooth chip off and on again like this will force it to unpair from whatever it is paired to.

kdavies

Working perfectly for me!! Sorry had to boast! Hope you get it figured out soon,amazing feature to have!

gkellum
      Participant

Did you guys get the problem you had connecting to your H9s from Mac worked out?  I added a section to the H9 Control user guide that walks through the process of connecting an H9 to a Mac via Bluetooth. The new documentation will be bundled into H9 Control when we do the next release, but you can see the updated user guide online now:

http://eventide.com/AudioDivision/Products/StompBoxes/H9ControlUG1.aspx

zwolf
      Participant

Sorry for losing the thread of this, gkellum. Yes – I was eventually successful. Turns out that I was probably out of range. When I got the pedal closer to the desktop, it worked fine.

thanks!

Swindleh9

I am able to pair the H9 with my MacBook Pro using the built-in Bluetooth Pairing, but when I launch H9 connect (1.6.2), it says it cannot connect.  When I choose Devices -> Connect Via Bluetooth, nothing happens.  The same happens when I choose "Manually Connect" from the menu and then click the Bluetooth button.  No new menu, no changes.

I have disabled Bluetooth on the H9 (X Y Z) and reenabled it, with no change in H9 Control.  I turned BT off again on the H9, and paired it again with the Mac (entering the security code, again), and there was no change.

I currently only have this Mac and an iPhone, so I'd love to be able to see the controls on a full monitor vs. the 5" iPhone screen!

gkellum
      Participant

swindleh9:

I am able to pair the H9 with my MacBook Pro using the built-in Bluetooth Pairing, but when I launch H9 connect (1.6.2), it says it cannot connect.  When I choose Devices -> Connect Via Bluetooth, nothing happens.  The same happens when I choose "Manually Connect" from the menu and then click the Bluetooth button.  No new menu, no changes.

Do you have Yosemite installed on your MacBook?  The problem you're describing sounds like the problem other users including myself have had on Yosemite.  We made a special beta release for Yosemite which you can download here:

http://ftp.eventide.com/ljdl/SkipEmulator/H9Control-1.6.2.6-osx10.10-installer.dmg

We should have an official release early next week.

jarvis1227

Hello, i'm running Yosemite and the H9 doesn't even come up as a device that i can pair. Can you check that beta link for the H9 control? It doesn't seem to be working. Thanks!!

jarvis1227

i'm having the same issue as swindleh9 – i'm running Yosemite. check you check that ftp link for the beta i couldn't connect to it. thanks!! 

gkellum
      Participant

jarvis1227:

i'm having the same issue as swindleh9 – i'm running Yosemite. check you check that ftp link for the beta i couldn't connect to it. thanks!! 

Could you try a different browser? Someone mentioned that on a different thread that there's a particular browser where it won't download.  Maybe Safari?  It works fine in Chrome.  I just checked…

jarvis1227

works in chrome,  thanks!! i'll see if i can do a bluetooth connection tomorrow and post back. form what I've been reading Yosemite has some bluetooth issues and i updated to 10.10.1 today.

jarvis1227

OK, update works. nice job.  The only thing i wanted to mention that on the stomp box the blue led is not illuminated indicating i'm paired and connected but everything seems to be working and linked as expected. Thank you!!

genshi

Ok, I’m having Bluetooth connection issues now. I bought the H9 not too long ago and downloaded the latest version of H9 Control app, version 2.1.1 and had no issues until today. Now the H9 just won’t connect to the H9 Control at all.

In my bluetooth preferences on my iMac version 10.10.3, it shows that it’s not connected (even though the Blue light is on and I toggled BT off and on again.) The only way to connect it to the iMac is to remove from preferences and then have the iMac find it again and re-pair it again. Once I do this and it shows connected, I open the H9 Control app, it asks to manually select the H9, I do by choosing “Bluetooth” and it just never finds it… instead, it disconnects in the iMac preferences; it shows “not connected” again, every time I try to use the H9 Control app. Again, it’s the latested version. I am baffeled and frustrated…

gkellum
      Participant

In my bluetooth preferences on my iMac version 10.10.3, it shows that it's not connected (even though the Blue light is on and I toggled BT off and on again.) The only way to connect it to the iMac is to remove from preferences and then have the iMac find it again and re-pair it again. Once I do this and it shows connected, I open the H9 Control app, it asks to manually select the H9, I do by choosing "Bluetooth" and it just never finds it… instead, it disconnects in the iMac preferences; it shows "not connected" again, every time I try to use the H9 Control app. Again, it's the latested version. I am baffeled and frustrated…

Ok, it’s interesting to hear that it still will pair by going into System Preferences, but I wouldn’t expect things to work when pairing this way. Since you posted on this thread, I’m sure you’re aware of things that came up on this thread that caused other people problems: Being too far away from the computer and not using the version of H9 Control that was built for version 10.10.3 of the Mac OS, i.e. the Yosemite build. Another thing you could do that has proved helpful in the past is resetting the H9s system settings which you can do by turning it off and then turning it on again with the right footswitch and the HotKnob switch pressed (the switch in the upper left hand corner of the H9). This won’t affect your presets but it will wipe out any system settings changes that you made. If this doesn’t help, if you have any other Bluetooth capable devices handy, e.g. other Macs or iOS devices, it would be good to know if they have the same problem pairing with the H9. If they do, we’ll have to consider whether this might be a hardware problem, but since you said this problem started happening after upgrading your version of H9 Control, that’s less likely.

genshi

Thanks for the promopt reply. To clairfy, this didn’t happen when I updated to H9 Control, my first version of H9 Control was the latest version for Yosemite, as my H9 is only a month or two old. This was working the first couple of weeks and now it’s not, with no changes to anything! 

The H9 is the same distance away from my iMac as it always has been (and by the way, my iMac is not that old either, late 2013.) I can connect to the H9 from my iPhone 6, so it’s not the H9 hardware/bluetooth, and I can connect to my bluetooth keyboard and trackpad on my iMac, so it’s not the iMac’s bluetooth. That’s why I’m baffled!

The only thing I haven’t tried is the system reset on the H9 as you’ve suggested, so that’s what I’ll try next as soon as I get back to the studio.

Thanks for your help thus far.

genshi

Scratch my last post… I did update to Yosemite recently but thought since I had the latest version of H9 Control, version 2.1.1, I should be fine… but now after re-reading these posts and checking the downloads, I see there are TWO versions of 2.1.1, one for Yosemite. Downloaded and installed and all is working now.

I do suggest maybe giving the Yosemite version a different version number to avoid confusion (since it technically is a different version, obviously.)

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

gkellum
      Participant

I do suggest maybe giving the Yosemite version a different version number to avoid confusion (since it technically is a different version, obviously.)

I think in the next release of H9 Control I’m going to put a check in the pre-Yosemite release that will pop up a warning if you try to use that release on Yosemite. This is the third time that I’ve heard about this being a problem, and I don’t even see most of the support emails.

SPNew2016
      Participant

I’m experiencing similar issues trying to pair my Macbook Pro running Mac OS 10.11.5 I cannot get my macbook to connect via Blutooth. I’m using the last four digits of the H9’s serial # and have tried multiple times without success. Help! This is no fun!

Thanks

John

dchalfon

my h9 connects to my mac, but it takes forever to load the presets. mac 10.12.3

mkravit
        dchalfon wrote:

my h9 connects to my mac, but it takes forever to load the presets. mac 10.12.3

I am having a similar problem….

I have a new MacBook Pro running  osSierra 10.12.5. When connect by bluetooth the Sierra takes for ever to find the H9’s and even then doesn’t connect.

This seems to be an issue with H9 Control as all of my other bluettooth devices are fully functional.

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        mkravit wrote:

I am having a similar problem….

I have a new MacBook Pro running  osSierra 10.12.5. When connect by bluetooth the Sierra takes for ever to find the H9's and even then doesn't connect.

This seems to be an issue with H9 Control as all of my other bluettooth devices are fully functional.

The H9 bluetooth code has not changed for a while, so presumably the problem is due to changes in 10.12.5.

While we do not know what these changes are at this time, we will look into it and try and resolve the issue. Cannot say how long this will take until we have more information.

gkellum
        Participant
        mkravit wrote:

I have a new MacBook Pro running  osSierra 10.12.5. When connect by bluetooth the Sierra takes for ever to find the H9's and even then doesn't connect.

I have a new MacBook Pro (from the end of 2016) which I just upgraded from Sierra 10.12.4 to 10.12.5.  I tried connecting via Bluetooth to my H9 both before and after upgrading.  I had a hard time pairing and then connecting on 10.12.4, but I did what I always do when I run into this problem.  First I tried turning the Bluetooth off and then on again by pressing the X, Y, and Z switches simulataneously (twice), and then, I tried resetting the H9's system settings by turning the H9 off and then turning it on again with the HotKnob switch (the button in the upper left hand corner of the H9).  It took me 3 tries to get through the pairing and connection process, but after getting through the process, it's been connecting fine ever since.  Also, after I upgraded to 10.12.5, it's continued to connect fine.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.