Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      elmo1984

Hi,

I have received a timefactor. When I use a Boss FV-500L to
      control a single parameter, it works perfectly. However, when
      controlling multiple parameters, a problem occurs as follows:

When
      I fully step on the expression pedal, it only shows 99 instead of 100.
      In other words, I can't reach to the maximum value of the parameters.

The same problem occurs when I use a Roland EV-5.

Has anyone experience this problem? Thanks for answering my question.

IDeangelis

Hi Elmo

Our Stompboxes will work with any Expression Pedal that is a simple resistive load (potentiometer) with a max value of 20kOhms. We've successfully used the Roland EV-5 (set the trim pot to 0), the Line6, and the Boss FV-500L (connect with a stereo cable).

If your Expression Pedal has a trim pot control, try adjusting it to either end of its range.

Sometimes pedals pots may be not accurate or dirty. Some spray cleaner for electrical contacts can be applied to clean the pot.

all the best

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The reason for the maximum of 99 may be that the pedal autocalibrates itself, using the maximum value it sees as 100, and the minimum as 0.

If you hit the pedal hard it may go to a slightly higher value than if you hit it gently. This higher value will be called "100", while the slightly lower value may be called "99."

The difference between 99 and 100 will not usually be audible.

I'm using the Line6 expression pedal, and i've noticed that very often it only goes to 99 and not 100, but i haven't researched much which situations cause that. I haven't thought of situations in which 99% vs 100% would be a big deal for my purposes.

BUT, i am perturbed that the Line6 is advertised in the manual but it doesn't seem to be quite the right pedal. About a quarter to a third of the bottom of the pedal's sweep stays at 0, only after i've reached a point does the value start to change. It would be much nicer to have the whole sweep of the pedal for expression! (though compared to the moog ep i tried with the TF, the Line6 is much much better)

Eventide! Is there an ideal pot value/taper for Timefactor expression??

IDeangelis

Hi

in my long experience with volume pedals I have learned that very, very few products are consistently good. The problem is always the internal potentiometer.

Very often the quality is poor and the pot is dirty. Some incorrect electrical contact happens then and cleaning with contact cleaners may often help.

The taper is another story. I find the Ernie Ball pedals to be more progressive than others.

In general I prefer to test pedals before buying them. Some people have the pots changed in any pedal, referring to qualified audio technicians who have quality parts to substitute in the pedals.

The electrical specs for the pots are the ones you find in the manual. The taper is a very personal thing. Only trying different pots will give you the idea and the feel of what you'll like best.

6adam7
      Participant

Hi,

In your above post you mentioned the ernie ball pedals…well made, solid,…perfect for an expression pedal…are there none of their products that will work with the time factor?..what about the JR pedal with a 25k pot?..I know its 5K(?) over the recommended max but will that matter?..

All the best,
      Steve

yotam
      Participant

arcadesonfire:

I'm using the Line6 expression pedal, and i've noticed that very often it only goes to 99 and not 100, but i haven't researched much which situations cause that. I haven't thought of situations in which 99% vs 100% would be a big deal for my purposes.

BUT, i am perturbed that the Line6 is advertised in the manual but it doesn't seem to be quite the right pedal. About a quarter to a third of the bottom of the pedal's sweep stays at 0, only after i've reached a point does the value start to change. It would be much nicer to have the whole sweep of the pedal for expression! (though compared to the moog ep i tried with the TF, the Line6 is much much better)

Eventide! Is there an ideal pot value/taper for Timefactor expression??

I had the same issue with the line6 pedal,try enable youre 'cathup' function. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

25K will be fine.

The taper issue is difficult, and as pointed out earlier, something of a personal choice.

It also depends what aspect of the pedal you are mainly controlling – for example, volume probably wants a logarithmic taper,  while some other functions will work better with a linear taper.

A pedal sold as a volume pedal will probably have a log taper, whereas a controller pedal may have a linear taper.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.