Program Change bypass settings are mixed-up on my TimeFactor

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Program Change bypass settings are mixed-up on my TimeFactor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      MykEmms

I really love my TmeFactor. However…

Controlling the active/bypass state of my TimeFactor (currently running firmware version 3.0.0[19]) via MIDI has had me a bit confused until now. I just realised that the active/bypass functions that can be controlled through the RCV MAP section are all mixed up. Has anyone else noticed this? if not perhaps it my MIDI controller (G-Lab GSC-2). Here's how things seem to be for me:

Under RCV MAP I have:

– TOG set to ProgramChange 124
      – BYP set to ProgramChange 125
      – ACT set to ProgramChange 126

After experimenting with sending the above Program Change numbers to the unit here's what I discovered:

– TOG (PC_124): instead of toggling between active/bypass, this function makes the unit active only.
      – BYP (PC_125): instead of only bypassing the unit, this function makes the unit toggle between active/bypass.
      – ACT (PC_126): instead of only activating the unit, this function makes the unit bypass only.

Of course, this is now less of an issue now I know the work-around for it, but I'm sure it could frustrate other users who haven't worked this out. I understand that there is a chance it is my MIDI controller rather than my TimeFactor but I have no way of testing this at the moment.

Has anyone else had trouble with this?

underwood

Hello,

looks like eventide has to fix more than one midi error.

I've trouble with bypass settings, when sending programm change commands. The TimeFactor goes in bypass mode, when it recieves a programm change command and the ModFactor goes in active mode.

This confuses me, because when I send a programm change to other pedals they _ONLY_ make a programm change and not a state change.

ccl117
      Participant

Same here, the update seems to have jacked up my TimeFactor as well.  My TimeFactor goes into "Bypass" mode when it receives bank change messages, effectively making it unusable in my MIDI looper controlled set-up.  Help Eventide!

underwood

God thanks that I'm not the only one with this problem. And please change the error in the MF to. MIDI Program Change means only a program change. No bypass or activation of the pedal!

ccl117
      Participant

Something weird I noticed on that bypass issue:  it only does in on some of the bank presets.  IE, when I pull up preset 2:1, it stays active.  When I pull up preset 7:2, it pulls up the preset, then a quick "MUTE" message appears on the TF screen, and the pedal is bypassed.  When I switch back to 2:1, the pedal goes active, and the correct bank is pulled up.  There are no other MIDI messages being sent, makes me think it's a programming issue on the pedal.

underwood

the "funny" thing is, that the TF works the other way. It goes alway active when it is in bypass mode. 

When I understood the midi standard right, a program change hase only to do a program change and nothing more and the pedal has to stay in it's actual mode and not changes to bypass or active. There is a midi message for that!

Please fix it eventide!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

All the pedals load into "active" mode. This is how the box works.

My copy of the MIDI spec (document version 96.1, second edition) does not specify the function of program change beyond, uh, changing programs, nor does it specify a bypass or active message as such. Sorry about that.

There clearly is an interest in being able to save programs in a bypassed state, and we will consider this for possible future updates. But, I would expect this to confuse as many people as it pleases.

underwood

nickrose:

All the pedals load into "active" mode. This is how the box works.

Only the MF not the TF! 

Don't know what the other two do.

What about an option in the setup to change, how the program change works? Load into active, load into passive, load into current mode (don't change mode). This will please all users!

ccl117
      Participant

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the reply, but I can asure you that my TimeFactor is loading in "MUTE" mode on certain bank recalls, and "ACTIVE" mode on other bank recalls.  It did not used to do this, it has been an issue since I applied the latest software update to the pedal.  I have another forum post and email request submitted to Eventide that goes into further detail.  Appreciate your guys help in resolving.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Not sure what you mean by "bank recall."  If you mean MIDI CC #0, sometime used used as bank select, please don't use this, as it is not supported on these pedals.

Alternatively, it may mean that your MIDI map has got confused, possibly as a result of not reinitializing after updating. You might want to either "Restore Factory System Settings," as described in the UM, or manually stepping through the MIDImap and making sure that it is not in a mess..

mborbo
      Participant

Did you solve this problem? I alsa have a GSC-2…May be the 3.5 firmware solved this?

ty

cudarftj
      Participant

Hello all,

I’m new to using midi, but have purchsed a Boss ES 8. I’ve managed to get my TF and Space to do PC’s, but when I use PC 3 with my TF it bypasses it.  When I use PC 4 or 5 with my space it also bypasses it. Very frustrating. This is what I’ve found so far. Can anyone help fix this problem or are we stuck with this for owning an Eventide product. Please help.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.