Program Change Receive Map loading USER presets

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Program Change Receive Map loading USER presets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      HeyJeffrey
      Participant

The Program Change receive map provides 98 presets to load, which is straightforward because they are numbered.

After creating so many user presets, I cannot figure out how to load any of them, much less one, because they are not numbered.

Is this staring me in the face and I can’t see it, or does the H9 only allow these 98 from which to choose, then the CC’s allow parameter changes within the 98?

I hope I asked that correctly. I’m fairly new to MIDI, using the Boss MS-3, and besides the aforementioned, all works well.

Maybe joecozzi can come to my house in Oregon. My wife is a great cook.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      HeyJeffrey wrote:

The Program Change receive map provides 98 presets to load, which is straightforward because they are numbered.

The H9 allows us to store 99 presets. If your Receive Map is only showing you 98, perhaps one of the program change locations has been inadvertently changed.

HeyJeffrey wrote:
      After creating so many user presets, I cannot figure out how to load any of them, much less one, because they are not numbered.

The easiest way to load user presets is using preset lists on H9 Control. Once you've organized your presets into a list and put them in the order you want them to appear on the pedal, you can use H9 Control to save that list to the pedal. This overwrites the current preset slots on the pedal, so I recommend making a backup of what's on your pedal before loading a custom preset list. Regardless, you can find all factory preset lists on Eventide's H9 web page as a last resort.

This video shows you how to make a backup of what's on your pedal currently: https://youtu.be/4pj4jAbH-0I

This video shows you how to create a preset list and load it onto your H9: https://youtu.be/0tI_LsQcsXY

HeyJeffrey wrote:
      Is this staring me in the face and I can't see it, or does the H9 only allow these 98 from which to choose, then the CC's allow parameter changes within the 98?

It is possible to use CC#s to change presets by changing all the values for each knob once an algorithm is loaded, but this is very tedious. Forget about this method for now. It's better to work with preset lists from H9 Control.

HeyJeffrey wrote:

Maybe joecozzi can come to my house in Oregon. My wife is a great cook.

I love Oregon. I always have a great time when I visit, and I would very much entertain the idea.

HeyJeffrey
      Participant

As I feared, I didn’t explain myself correctly by leaving out a significant detail. Or two.

Yes, 99 presets, not 98. I left the looper out in the cold. We’ve made up, though.

I really muddled my question, that’s for sure.

This is about MIDI, and attempting to load a preset I’ve created, not one of the 99 listed. I am able to easily grab a preset from that list and connect to a Program Change Number and control it with the MS-3. All is well in that regard.

The Program Change Receive Map starts the Program Change Number at zero, then gives the corresponding number of the preset and tells you which preset number matches that Program Change Number. Check. And I realize I can use any Program Change number for the 99 presets.

If I load Preset 1 (Solar Delay / ModEchoVerb for example) to Program Change number 0, it’s a breeze.

But if I tweak that preset, or any other, and save it one or two different ways, and want to attach it/ them to a preset number, there isn’t a preset number besides the 99.

Is this a correct way to say it? My USER presets do not have a preset number to attach to a PC Number. Am I locked in to only being able to load the listed 1-99 presets?

But wait!! I guess this would apply to ANY factory presets as well, not just USER. 

Example: I want a preset in TAPE ECHO, say, F9 Flutter Wow. How do I get THAT one? What preset number would I select to connect to a PC number? There isn’t a choice for it, or any of them outside of the 99.

I’m very sorry for dragging this out. I didn’t know exactly how to articulate what I needed. 

The H9 is a monster of a machine. Limitless creative possibilities. I know there must be a way to MIDI any specific preset.

Joecozzie, your beard might be too handsome to invite you to my house. Can’t have my wife distracted while she’s cooking. Too much salt might end up on the steak or something.

Sincerely though, thank ALL you guys and dolls for being so GREAT at helping us rookies grasp this stuff.

HeyJeffrey
      Participant

Eureka!

Joecozzi, you were most certainly not too verbose. It is exactly what I needed. 

You could not have explained it better.

I couldn’t find my answer anywhere, and your description and explanation was perfect, and I think far exceeds what the manual provides.

I cannot thank you enough for this support! I’m blown away grateful.

Eventide, give that man a raise! Or at least buy him his dream guitar.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      HeyJeffrey wrote:
      But if I tweak that preset, or any other, and save it one or two different ways, and want to attach it/ them to a preset number, there isn’t a preset number besides the 99. Is this a correct way to say it? My USER presets do not have a preset number to attach to a PC Number. Am I locked in to only being able to load the listed 1-99 presets?

If you are editing right on the pedal, you may only use one of the 99 slots to save custom changes. If you make parameter changes, and then press the “Preset” button to store, notice how the preset number flashes. Here you can turn the encoder to choose a location where you can store your edit. In essence, you would be overwriting whatever preset location you’ve chosen.

The default settings of the RCV.MAP is already setup to recall presets in order. You just have to program your MIDI controller to send a Program Change number plus 1 to accurate select the preset on H9. Example:

PC# 0 selects Preset 1 on H9
      PC# 9 selected Preset 10 on H9
      Etc.

So, let’s say you edit Preset #4 on the H9 three times. You can either overwrite Preset #4 three times, or you can store all three versions on other preset numbers – Preset 5,6,7. You’ll have to adjust your MIDI controller PC messages accordingly.

If you are using H9 Control, you can create lists and store presets and edits of presets as many times as you want. The key thing to remember is that lists only go up to 99 presets, so wherever you put your presets, that will correspond to the preset number on the H9 it will overwrite when you download that list onto the H9.

I hope I haven’t been too verbose.

HeyJeffrey wrote:
      Example: I want a preset in TAPE ECHO, say, F9 Flutter Wow. How do I get THAT one? What preset number would I select to connect to a PC number? There isn’t a choice for it, or any of them outside of the 99.

Again, if you will not be using H9 Control live, you will have to overwrite one of the 99 presets currently stored on the H9. Otherwise, to access that preset you will have to use H9 Control as that preset is stored directly on the device, NOT on the H9.

This is a very comprehensive video to learn how presets work on H9 and H9 Control. I highly recommend you watch it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lHXCu9H0Jek&list=PLhT2MsSeKiDw6X56B_cfGPhD4GeBd3MA4&index=25

HeyJeffrey wrote:
      Joecozzi, your beard might be too handsome to invite you to my house. Can’t have my wife distracted while she’s cooking.

You will be happy to know I’ve shaved it off.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.