PS101 Instant Phaser versus todays current offerings

Home Forums Products Stompboxes PS101 Instant Phaser versus todays current offerings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      brock
      Participant

Man, I really don’t know.  The Instant Phaser was in the first studio I ever worked in, and it was magical.  I’m all over creating H9 presets, but I can’t tell you that I could recreate that exact aural experience.  I’m sure that the H9 Phaser algorithm could come close enough.  I don’t know if the plugin version is a viable option for you:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/clockworks-legacy/phaser/ps101-instant-phaser

Bluesman59LP

Greetings. This is my first post so I might as well come right out and state that I am not familiar with the Eventide product line. I am however trying to help a drummer friend to see if there is anything currently available that can mimic the early 70’s Clockworks PS101. He would like to get closer to the Led Zeppelin Bonham sound using various microphones on his kit with it as well as building on is own inspiration through it. I searched various FAQ areas in the site but aside from some info on the discontinued Clockworks Legacy section I have failed to find anything pointing to a answer. The H9 seems that it might be a start but like I said, I am unfamiliour with it.

Thats pretty much it. If anyone can steer me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Bluesman59LP

Brock, thank you for your reply. My drummer friend is familiar with a few rack mountable units he uses but they are limited to his P.A. setup. Just to be clear, regarding the link you provided in your post, is that a suggesed alternate computer version that is actually available? There is much discussion about types of downloadable software in the forum so I am lead to believe that is generally the norm throughout many dsiccusions. I have personally never done this before and am as green as they come in its understanding. That said, is this version capable of simulating the slow attack and sustain of the opening cymble crash effect in Led Zeppelins, Kashmir? That is the foremost effect he is after. When we play this tune, he misses the signaure effect it carries throughout this number.

Kind regards,

brock
        Participant

As far as I know, that Instant Phaser plugin is available.  I would think it would be the most accurate representation of the original rack mount, with dedicated processing power & aural fidelity only limted to the host computer & audio interface.  Of course, more to lug around, and fussier to rely upon live.

Now, the H9 Phaser algorithm is also “downloadable” (or included in the H9 Max); specific to the H9 itself.  It certainly has the parameter components to emulate the Instant Phaser.  Depending on his rig, you might need send/receive on a mixer, or at least something to bring the mic levels up to instrument level (as the H9 is geared toward guitar input, to simplify).  Maybe a padded true Line Level.

Love that song, and the Instant Phaser application.  I’ve never tried to specifically mirror that beautiful “whoosh” – let alone with a cymbal crash – but I believe it can be done right on the H9 Phaser, using the ENV or ADSR modulations.  I’ve built quite similar presets with those.  You’re triggering off the audio / envelope of the cymbal, so gain-staging into the H9, and small SENSITIVITY parameter tweaks are going to make or break it.

wherman
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Hey all, Woody from Eventide here. I'm a (relatively) recent DSP engineer coming to bear some good news. It's not in pedal form but one of our most recent projects has been to redo the Instant Phaser plugin. The current plugin doesn't quite capture the magic of the original hardware unit so we've gone back and done a really careful model of it and are pretty confident that these new versions will really capture the sound of the original. It should defnitely help any drummer freinds get closer to that Bonham sound.

Bluesman unfortunately the current plugin isn't available for individual download, partly because we're not totally happy with the way it sounds. However, if you're not super pressed for time the updated plugin, which will be available for individual download, should be coming out in the not so distant future. I don't want to give any specific dates (because they'd of course be wrong) but I'd say keep your eyes peeled for a release in maybe the next month or two.

Brock very cool to hear you used the original and liked it!

Bluesman59LP

Thanks to both of you. It sounds like things are looking up for my friend. I did a search for a plug in for the Instant Phaser but must not be looking at the right place. Is it something thats available through well known musical instrument suppliers or only select distributors? As for the other option mentioned by Woody, can you help me cut to the chase as to what starter software I’d need to be able to buy it when its available or does it come as its own package? Like I said, I have never used computer software for music and have a very limited amount of experience with some of the more common go-to pedals. 

Again, thanks you to the both of you. My buddy was very happy to hear about this.

brock
      Participant
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.